Ownership Experience

Hey, checked with the team and they’re already on it. They’ll reach out to you soon regarding this issue.

Early this morning, I was riding back home using map mode. The speedometer and estimated range was visible in bottom left corner of dashboard. I was riding in sports mode. It reached a point where only 9 kms estimated range was left. However, it didn’t change to eco mode immediately. I was riding along thinking that I have 9 kms range for quite some time. When I turned a 90° corner, I had to drastically slow down, and only then it changed to eco mode but with just 1 km range left while I still needee 6 kms to reach home. The vehicle stopped shortly afterwards with 0 kms. Turned off map and saw battery was at 0%. I got stranded on the road because the dashboard kept saying there was enough range. Because of this glitch, had to push vehcile 1.5 kms to reach a fast charger. When I called RSA, they told me I would get charged around 2000 rupees. It didn’t seem fair for something that was not my fault. If estimated range was accurate, or if battery percentage was visible during map mode, I could have avoided being stranded.

1 Like

as a precaution you should have switched to eco mode sir.

I trusted the vehicle to switch it for me. This is the first time it happened to me, so yeah won’t trust it so much henceforth.

Logical question and I understand your situation. This is not the first time it was reported such scenario and it happened to other users as well. Some learning are

• To switch between the modes, the throttle should be in zero position else it is a safety hazard. I guess when you slowed down, then it switched.
  • When the battery is at lower SoC, then better you take care of your own estimation.
  • And it is always NOT good to go below 10% SoC for healthy life of battery.
  • Ather has clarified that if the vehicle stops due to SoC, RSA is not free.

Is it necessary to use motor kill switch at signals? I know its to prevent surging of the scooter due to accidental twist of the throttle. Does leaving the motor on have a great impact on the range? How are my friends in the forum using the feature?

Nope., Usage of Kill switch for improvement of range does not help. As the MOTOR is off when you stop at signal, there is no power consumption.

@rajeshkav can you elaborate on your last point. I am a potential buyer and I heard this for the first time. As I am understanding it, if the vehicle stops at some point and user pushes it to near ather grid charging station, he needs to pay since he has emptied the battery. If it was just a top up, then no charge is that what you meant

Well, let me clarify on that.

• RSA (Road Side Assistance) is NOT FREE , if the battery reaches 0% and stops. User is responsible to watch out SoC and make sure he/she does not get stranded. However Ather is obliged to give FREE RSA (in Ather ONE/Service plan), if vehicle stops due to any malfunction.

• Your question is on charging at Ather Grid. For sure you can charge at Ather Grid irrespective of SoC % for FREE, if you are on Ather ONE plan.

Hope it is clear now.

SoC = state/status of charge, right?

State of charge ( SoC ) is the level of charge of an electric battery relative to its capacity. The units of SoC are percentage points (0% = empty; 100% = full).

Source: Wiki

1 Like

Hi @rajeshkav, thanks for clarification. It’s clear now.

1 Like

They told by end of the day they will resolve the issue but it has not resolved. I am not able to use the vehicle because of this issue. There should be some work around to charge the vehicle in this type scenario, please look into this.

@raghav.srinivasan @abhishek.balaji

I have a query to experienced folks like you. My total travel per day is 19.5km. I am just into third day of ownership. I am managing an efficiency of 30Wh/km in sport mode and in ride mode as well. I am as of now getting a projected range of 80km with my style of riding.

Request advice on charging cycle. Shall I plug in to recharge when the battery level drops to 45% and cut off at 80% OR plug in at 45% and charge upto 100%? Which gives a better battery life?

OR

Shall i charge between 45-80% when I need to charge (maybe alternate days) and between 45-100% during weekends when usage could be more. Will this sort of ensure that all cell are active?

1 Like

I am a new owner but know a bit about batteries since we use it in our product. The way chargers are designed when battery is almost zero it starts with trickle charge (this prevents batteries from exploding) and once battery reaches 80% the charger agains slows down. These prevent the battery from getting damaged so you can charge it as and when the battery drops, I don’t think its an issue.

Here’s one from the FAQ section

Since your usage per day is very less, try to keep the 20-80-20 cycle. But any other charge cycle based on a different usage pattern should not bother you as the BMS is already limiting the upper and lower capacities to a certain extent

Thanks Mr. Hemanth Anand.

20-80-20. Does it mean that start charging at 20% and go upto 80% (perhaps during weekdays and as per usage and occasionally go upto 100% (may be during weekends as we get more time for trickle charging)? I am not sure if my understanding is right.

Oh! Sorry. I read your reply again. I think its to start at 20% and end at 80% and go down to 20% again.

1 Like

Yes and I think with your usage and your efficiency figures, you’d be fine by charging it once in 2 days.

I’d suggest not worrying about it. My usage is hardly about 12 kms a day. Use it till it reaches around 20-25% battery, and charge it up. You have the luxury of the using the full potential of this performance scooter, so might as well make use of it. :wink:

Most use cases are taken care of by the BMS, so you don’t have to worry about it.

1 Like

Thanks all for your inputs on charging cycle.