Ola Electric Scooter aka Etergo AppScooter

The article is refering 21700 cell as 21mm diameter and 700mm length, it has nothing to do with Ola battery pack. A typical cell is 5 digit where first 2 digit is diameter in mm and followed by 2 numbers as length like 21700 cell will be as 21-70 cell the last digit is just in case there is a decimal, but usally there isn’t, like newer names now don’t even have the 5th digit, eg. 4680

3 Likes

Oh damn. Didn’t read the whole thing. They kept referring to it as a “battery” so I assumed they were talking about the battery housing and not a single cell :man_facepalming:t4:

Yeah, 2.1 cm in diameter and 7 cm in height is what it means. On Ather 450 the cells used were 18650 (1.8 cm in diameter and 6.5 cm in height) and now they’re using the 21700’s. I’m happy that ola is using the same cells. This will make them cheap and easily available when in future we need it.

Ather might switch to 4680 in future, and we the old owners are still thinking if the scooter survives the next 5 years and just need the battery pack, how will they provide one? There is no possibility of getting a 18650 pack, same will go in future for 450x’s 21700 pack too. The only option will be left to get the newer kind but how will that go in the old one?. this is the only condition where an ICE scooter wins, parts are available even after 15 years.

4 Likes

Cannot say that because a battery pack can easily be built with new cells and these cells are industry standards. For instance older laptops used to come with 18650 cells in their batteries.

1 Like

Easier said than done, a typical laptop battery pack will have mostly 12-18 cells spot welded and most easily done even with a soldering iron, A battery pack which Ather has is a massive 224 18650 cells in 1st and 1.5 gens 450s, 14 in series and 16 in parallel, and in 450x 168 21700 cells, 14 in series and 12 in parallel, removing and rebuilding will match the price of a new scooter itself. unless bought from Ather itself at 60k.

3 Likes

Building battery pack is done very often and isn’t as expensive as you think. Infact I’ve built my own 8s 11p pack for some project. And as far as i know most laptop batteries have 4 cells and on very few I’ve seen 8. I’ve never seen 12-18 in a single battery.

1 Like

Battery case dimensions are the same and if I remember right, harnesses were upgraded to support additional power pulled by WARP mode.

Considering the 450 isn’t going to get the WARP, existing harness should be more than capable of handling 21700 cells.

BMS is programmable, so other than being a tediously manual process, it should be doable.

4 Likes

It’s doable,But the process of doing it requires the proper procedure, buying a single lot of the exact same batch of 18650 cells, they should be 3c same as the current setup. Maybe we can go higher on amp rating the most possible is Panasonic 18650 3.5amp, this would push the pack rating to 2.71 from 2.4. But the cost is soo high, I mean getting original cells is the key, and they are expensive. The last I inquired they quoted 400 ea. 400x168 cells are 67200. that’s the cost of a 450x battery pack. Because the manufacturer gets an extreme price, doing it by hand is not feasible with this cost.

Now replacing individual cells is a point I thought of but spending over 100s of hours checking each of those cells is time-consuming to find the faulty array of cells and IMO if the pack is not put back correctly, we know what happened to the Chennai fire incident.

2 Likes
2 Likes

238% charged :smiley: Hope the battery is capable to handle that much of charge.

1 Like

Yes now he is going to moon…and win a geruva

1 Like

3 Likes

Wait, what?! How is this even possible? So much of inventory pileup that they suspended operations!

2 Likes

Annual maintenance is generally carried out in12 +/- 1 months and not within 8 months as reported.

4 Likes

Interesting to see the absolute radio silence on this Forum about the various announcements that Ola made today regarding their scooter, and also the ‘announcement’ of their 4 wheeler that is expected to launch in a couple of years (?). Have we as a community stopped taking some people seriously? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I was about to ask the same question… finished watching their YouTube announcement video… came here to see flooded thread and was silent :no_mouth:

All busy in independence day celebration I believe :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Bhavesh has surely got me pumped… I wish him and Ola all the very beat. “Agar baahar se nahi mangana hai to ghar main banao, but please make something really exciting…” Just booked Ola S1…! :blush::heart:

3 Likes

Because it’s the same old overhype and over promise and underdeliver scene with Ola. Ola S1 is not new. They launched it 1 year back. The new colour is 10k more for just a diff colour :man_facepalming:t4: And the car is Pre concept. Since when did “All Glass roof” become a defining feature of an EV I don’t understand :man_facepalming:t4:.
But the only good thing to happen is the cell manufacturing. Happy to see SOMEONE start cell manufacturing or at least talk about it.

8 Likes