Motor and Powertrain

All discussions around the motor and powertrain of vehicles can be done in this thread.

1 Like

What do you mean by “Indian drive cycle range” that is mentioned under True Range in your Website…

Hi Sandeep,

It is ARAI mileage. “Indian Driving Cycle (IDC), a laboratory test on a rolling road which simulates a typical Indian driving environment over 10 km”

2 Likes

Thanks for the details…

can someone enlighten me whether the rated torque claimed by the petrol motor bikes are at wheels or at crank shaft?

If the the rated torque is at crankshaft, then at wheel ideally will be multiplied by gear ratio, right?

Unless specified manufactures quote the torque at crankshaft, Yes using gears torque can be increased.

1 Like

If Ather scooter’s mentioned rated torque is at motor shaft, then can @ather.team elaborate the rated torque at wheel?

The brochure mentions the transmission ratio as 7.8:1 so you can simply multiply the torque at motor by 7.8 which would give you a max torque of 160Nm at wheel

Whether this 150/160 Nm torque is required for city commuting?

1 Like

I too had the same question :slight_smile:

It depends on what is the acceleration you want, the payload capability and performance at GVW condition, maximum gradability etc. I’m sure Ather would have done these calculations and arrived at the transmission ratio to achieve the required torque at wheel. If you want the motor to produce lesser torque but have the same performance, you’ll need a higher transmission ratio which would call for your motor to have a higher operating rpm range and most probably result in a high power/lower torque machine.
However, regardless of what motor or transmission ratio you choose, your energy consumption for a given drive cycle or drive profile will remain the same.

TL;DR Any lower torque and you’ll find the vehicle less peppy, slow or bogging down on flyovers maybe, slow in exiting mall parking ramps etc while any higher torque would improve accleration and climbing performance at the sake of power consumption

These things have been informed by Ather team during the introduction speech on 5th June, 2018. The curiosity is with the drain of charge from battery every time the scooter is asked to move from still (stop and go traffic).

1 Like

energy consumption will be more in stop and go traffic coz you need higher initial torque to get rolling and the frequency of that happening is higher in such conditions. Since you’re not gonna be moving very quickly n such conditions, you would want a dull response from throttle for the first quarter or so of the twist to save energy. But the same response would feel sluggish on open road. This is similar to eco, city and sport modes on cars these days. If you’ve ever driven one in eco mode, you’ll know how frustrating the response is if you have some free space. I guess ather needs an “even-more-eco mode” for such situations

2 Likes

Has @Ather.Team @ather_rajs.in done any crash test.
What is the impact of it on the battery pack?
How much damage could it suffer?
Also, what is the insurance covering?(does it include any towing service/charges when the battery is dead?)

3 Likes

Insurance is not provided by Ather, you need to take it from a third party (like Digit). So you are better off asking the Insurance providers.

1 Like

hello @Ather.Team what is this modification for ?

what is this meant for

3 Likes

Seems like a bigger fan for cooling the motor. It’s a Race tuned 450X so I think the motor heats up faster and needs faster cooling as well

6 Likes

so, do u think the output from motor will be 5kw constant

if that is the case even i want to know how to do that for weekend fun

4 Likes

What is the life expectation of the motor?