Is it not cheating?

I am talking about the EV industry in total.

Still irrelevant. 6 years is a long time in this day and age, and even longer for a fast paced industry.

1 Like

Appreciate your perspective. Let’s agree to disagree.

Sure. Likewise.

It does sound like a convenient excuse thrown around for lack of common sense though.

2 Likes

Well it would be an excuse if century old companies like suzuki, and yamaha had EVs too. But they don’t. In those terms 6 years is miniscule. Do note they only delivered their scooter in 2018 less than 3 yrs ago. The question is about volume and in terms of volume athers volume is still a tiny fraction of the sales of all these huge OEMs who can cut prices down and sell with thinner margins. So in those terms. Ather is a toddler. Not a question of common sense.

They have, 4G connection, with navigation on the dash, OTA updates. Ride statistics. Remote location monitoring(gps) and a top of the line BMS. (+Bluetooth in the future- which I agree, needs to be made more clear) smarter than most cars on the market that cost 10 times as much

So I take it they were growing and researching for the first 3 years then. And over all that time and after two generations of product, there are howlers including, but not limited to:

1. single charging profile
  2. almost nonexistent regen
  3. poor NVH
  4. constant parasitic battery charge loss
  5. absence of an accessory charging port

I’m being generous here by keeping all their operational failures out of the list.

If someone still wants to play the “young and learning” card here, this learning is coming at the expense of customers’ hard earned money. Continue like this and there won’t be a company left once all the goodwill runs out.

I’ll just leave this here: Mobile / Laptop Charger port at underseat storage - #10 Looks like it’ll take 3 more years for people to figure out what a patch harness is, and everyone will have to buy a brand new scooter to keep their phones topped off on the go.

3 Likes

My bike does not have anything, it does not even show how much charging available on my mobile app.

So its not a smart/connected scooter for me

I have a phone without a sim. I can’t make calls. I don’t have data. But it’s still a " Smartphone" :person_shrugging::sweat_smile:

I know wifi makes a smartphone diff. And yes I wish Ather had given us wifi.

That’s Because of the BLDC motor and I can’t think of a single 2 wheeler which has better regen. Except maybe the chetak which is on par.

Better NVH than any scooter or 2 wheeler I’ve ever used.

Ya I wish it was only the BMS draining when in standby

Hey. In nor justifying athers operations and position now in anyway. But what I have right now and I’m using everyday. Feels like a near perfect product to me from a young company.

Worse than my 15 year old Splendor, for starters. I can hear this scooter from a block away. And when I’m riding, I can barely hear myself think sometimes.

Pretty far from it bud. Build quality, suspension and braking are about the only things that are impressive. They’re what made me go for one in the first place. But if the second iteration seems to be a massive step in the wrong direction.

I haven’t gotten to it yet, but I haven’t seen regen contribute to a single point of battery charge while I’ve been riding. If I were to guess, for a given amount of energy spent going uphill, less than 5% is recovered coming downhill. Might get to substantiating this when I have nothing better to do. If someone has hard data to prove this is not the case, I’d be happy to be proven wrong. What I do find is the BMS fan kicking in on long downhill stretches, meaning the current flowing through the system is too high, or in other words, the system is underspecced.

The 450X when coasting downhill is worse under regen. Doesn’t scrub nearly as much speed as the 450.

Combine this with the complete radio silence from Ather when regen is brought up, and I believe it’s mostly make believe. The only thing it’s probably good for is to extend brake pad life slightly.

3 Likes

Lower than actual product value - seriously?? Including FAME 2 subsidy, if it was 1.6L, I would still agree. At the earliest stage if you are imposing the price tag of 1.9L, then I will leave it to your Imagination in upcoming years.

Forgot to mention - Portable charger very very Affordable (just 11k). My actual concern is to make it affordable to most of the people who can’t. Eagerly waiting for Simple Energy Mark 2 - Fingers crossed

Re-read my post. It was not specific to Ather, rather to any industry in general.

So I actually have done this test. Before I show you the data. I’m really unhappy with the amount of regen on offer. I really wish it could have been more. That being said. Can’t deny the fact that there is SOME amount of regen This is some data from a small incline near my house.

this is uphill at about 23-24Km/hr constant speed This is downhill. Same incline. At same speed by using regen the whole way at 23-24kmph That’s about 20% energy got back. I did the same test on a diff incline and I gor -21Wh/Km once.

Damn. If they moved to a AC permanent magnet motor. It should have improved regen. Looks like they stuck to BLDC

3 Likes

That is quite an interesting test. Thank you. I’ll try something similar when I find time.

From what I hear, only the battery pack has changed. Motors remainthe same, but are now made in India, instead of being imported.

2 Likes

This from January 2020

1 Like

So are these. Heh:

WiFi 2.45G

Bluetooth 4.2

BLE 5.0

2 Likes

I’m starting to think there is probably some light trolling going on here. No other possible reasonable explanation for this :upside_down_face:

This post might interest you too:

Whataboutism! Not having bluetooth yet does not negate the motor and the rest of the features! :smiley: Not like the PMSM motor is gonna magically appear in March once bluetooth is enabled, just because we drew a correlation!

1 Like

Assuming 100% = 60 km, the scooter consumes 1% every 0.6 km

Per what you posted, it takes a 8 km downhill to regen that much. That’s less than 10% regenerated. Also, my above assumption assumes a 60 km range on flat ground. If it were to be going uphill, the range woud be lower, dropping the regen percentage even more.

Stuff was advertised that naver materialized. The end.

Found it

found it. Here you go

2 Likes

There are plenty of gradients near my place. One of these nights, when I’m feeling like it, I’ll try an uphill and downhill comparison. Maybe even take the covers off and check the make of the motor, and compare it with the old 450, assuming I can sweet talk the new owner into letting me poke around for a bit.

2 Likes

Regen is capped at 4-5% of SoC. Same as it is on the 450. One of the reasons why it rarely appears as a key feature in marketing material.

WiFi is part of the hardware

2 Likes