Home Charging

I’m not sure if this question belongs here or the OTA. I’ve pre-booked 450x. My place has occasional power cuts (duh! India). What will happen if updates are being installed and the power goes off midway? Will it brick the scooter? Sorry for being noob.

1 Like

Updates take only a few mins to install so the chances of this happening is very very rare. To start the installation, your scooter will have to be plugged in, charged to 40% and have the update downloaded. If it fails, it’ll boot up and try again.

In case even this is not successful, the service team can manually flash the firmware as well.

1 Like

@Shreyas my home charger was always showing red in the late evenings and used to turn green in the morning, i used to observe that the line voltage was above 235 in the night and used to fall below 235 in the morning, dose the charger have a cutoff voltage?

Are you using Home Charging - Point or DOT?

Both have cut off at higher voltage. How did you measure 235V? Watch out for some more days. If this continues you may reach customer care.

Just fyi, Shreyas is no longer with Ather Team.

Home charging point and voltage is as seen on the utility meter and a smart plug that i have , do you have any suggestions?

If it is the Dot or new Portable charger, the operating voltage is 185V AC - 275V AC

Although @Shreyas.G might still know the answer and may or may not answer, @Shreyas can not and will not answer this question of yours.
You may address such questions to @abhishek.balaji (again, don’t send it to @abhishek.balaji2) now and in future.
Sorry if I confused you :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi, Sorry Might be a repetitive question, but consider I park my vehicle on Friday evening and going to use again only on Monday morning, do I leave it on charge like everyday night? There is no guarantee I might use the vehicle on Saturday or Sunday but if I do use it, I need to have full charge on it. So is it okay to leave it connected on home charger for 2 days?

There’s no harm in that. But if you can, switch off the charger Friday night or Saturday morning and then switch on the charger again on Sunday night. The usage pattern is same for me many weekends. Friday evening I come back from office and park, Saturday morning I switch off the charger, Sunday night I switch the charger on. Just a matter of getting into a new habit. But one such weekend I forgot and Monday morning I had only around 75%. I didn’t have charge anxiety so took it to office like that only. But I do have the “17% anxiety” and hence charged a bit in office and came back home with 18% remaining

1 Like

I think Shreyas has answered it once… Asking it again to understand from knowledgeable members or Ather team…

Now most of the time, I am trying to charge between 20%-80%. Actually, to avoid anxiety, my charging cycle is more like 50-85.

But, this means the number of cycles has increased.

How does the number of charging cycles affects the battery? Is it better to have more cycles than charging Full?

Yeah, the benefits of 20-80 may be negligible, but I okay to do whenever it is possible. So, want to understand impact of Increased Charging Cycles vs Full Charge

The answer is complicated due to the way Li batteries work. Every partial charge counts as a partial cycle. But still, regular charging over 80 and regular discharge below 20 (corrected to Ather’s buffer capacity) is to be avoided. If storing for long without driving, better keep in 50% charge. The cells like to live between 80% and 20%. All these zones are defined by the chemistry happening inside the cells.

1 Like

While installing Ather no switch has been provided, its a direct connection from mains. The user manual says always switch off while not charging, obviously this is not possble with the way the charger has been installed!

Yeah! I read complete user manual and shared the requirements to the electrician. He has done a clean installation as per the instruction manual.

Mine was installed by Ather and still no switch!

So the mcb is included during the installation or should we purchase and give them? And how did your dot came? By courier it came first and then the electrician from ather fixed it or the electrician brought the dot while coming for installation?

Do we get any tracking related info for the dot? Because my dot have not arrived yet but installation is scheduled for tomorrow

It should come by courier no tracking option

My only concern is that by tomorrow before the ather electrician comes the dot should come. This is what I m worried about.

The Ather installation team will carry the Dot with them.

Spoken to customer care and they have said they will get back. The initial response was nothing will happen but even from a safety perspective a switch should have been provided!

Ather team will come with the Dot. Better to buy an MCB and give it to them during installation. Otherwise you can take the connection from the switch which has 6A or above with proper earthing.

Though the Dot has all the safety equipments and measures. They should have done the installation considering the manual.

1 Like