Green Initiatives

I found this very interesting. It is a sweet wrap. Check,

• first, it is recyclable.
  • second, manufacturer is willing to buyback
  • third, price is also mentioned.

Excellent.

9 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Discussions on solar home installations

Hi SathyaKumar which Inverter and Mppt controller are you using

Hello Santhosh,

Which is custom-developed Inverter and MPPT controller for the Lithium-Ion battery by us.

Can that be used for lead acid battery too and what is the cost of the same and its that a 24 volts system or higher.

1 Like

The reason for me to go EV is mainly to get rid off the maintenance. I don’t think EV reduces pollution, since 90% of the electricity produced is still from burning fossils.

So, subscription plans are out of my mind and if I have to buy the scooter up front, it’ll cost me a lot.

Since it doesn’t make any significant impact neither on my pocket nor on the environment, I’d rather buy a petrol motorcycle than Ather.

1 Like

It’s not 90%.it’s around 71% of the electricity generation is using fossil fuel bro. Not proving anything by saying so. But still 71% is a pretty high number.

We can pollute 30% lesser or buy a diesel, get better mileage and complain about chest congestion.

4 Likes

That’s one lame argument.

One, Not 90% of electricity is produced by burning fossils

Two, Even if electricity is produced by 100% fossil, EV’s running on it are far more efficient than running on ICE. Efficiency of ICE is around 20%, where as EV’s are around 60% to 80%

1 Like

This 71%

This 71% usage of fossil fuel is far more efficient than tansport. Also, it will take a few decades to move from one energy tech to another. Electricity is the next champion and we will see better ways to make it. Unless of course we figure out a way to run scooters with nuclear or gravity based sci fi tech.

Actually, in Karnata, about 40% of the installed capacity is renewable (mostly hydropower).

3 Likes

Even if the electricity is produced from fossil fuels EVs will still have lesser emissions due to their greater efficiency. So EVs will definitely reduce pollution.

EVs still emits lower emissions compared to ICE Vehicles. There are few factors that we need to consider here.

1. To refine petroleum energy is required and if you look at the electricity consumption from the grid(Many refineries also produce their own electricity) US oil refineries used 46,860 million KWh in 2016(Found this on Quora) We could use the same to power EVs
  2. Transportation of fuel which is done through trucks mostly which pollutes our environment
  3. Finally the same fuel which we burn in our vehicles polluting the environment more. I’m not saying that EVs do not pollute our environment but compared to ICE Vehicles it’s low and moving to renewable energy will make it even lower.
1 Like

This is factually correct. Around 40% in Karnataka is renewable energy and that is only set to go up.

2 Likes

May be my stats are old but still my main reason to switch to EV is less maintenance and a bit of reducing carbon foot print as mentioned before. I wish the initiative of 57% of the electricity to be produced by renewable energy by 2027 comes in to reality. Until then I continue to increase my commute on cycle than burning a hole in my pocket

2 Likes

Pollution free cities of Bengaluru and Chennai Due to lockdown… Post lockdown, we will see rush of fossil mortals… We Atherians will stand out for Greener Earth We will make the DIFFERENCE.

2 Likes

Have people noticed the increasing changes in the fossil driven world…? Some major news from the past few weeks that are noteworthy and help the EV transition happen even faster :slight_smile:

Uber has pledged going fully electric by 2030 in US, EU & Canada and by 2040 for the rest of the world.

BP - one of the largest fossil fuel producers in the world - is going carbon neutral! It starts with shutting down 40% of their oil wells by 2030.

The biggest polluter in the world is going to reach peak emissions by 2030 and later go neutral BEFORE 2060. Significant news given that China is the world’s manufacturing hub and have a huge reliance on coal.

2 Likes

Let us hope, that these words will be made true by the ones who placed them. But,

2 Likes

Indeed. By 2030, the world has to cut emissions by 50% for us to have a 66% chance of reversing the climate crisis or risking having runaway warming of the planet. And like the article you just posted, the above is based on conservative estimates, we likely have even lesser time.

But we have no choice but to be optimistic. The work required is unprecedented but so are announcements like the above. The tide is already turning and changes are happening, question is will it be fast enough.

4 Likes

Thanks to this pandemic, we probably brought us some time and a better culture. Most companies have found they don’t need huge office multiplexes with centralised AC and bright lights. Workers don’t have to spend time and fuel on traffic (jams). Now it’s time to bring the revolution home.

6 Likes