DIY on-the-go (Brake Pads) Both F & R

Welcome to this whole new section, a guide to the community from a simple brake pad replacement to fixing your scooter (mechanically) no pun intended. The model in this DIY segment is the OG 450 which will be the Mechanically same as the current gen. This Topic is in-depth coverage of pad replacement with tips and tricks.

Starting the topic

Brake pad replacement - Front

You will need.

• Brake pad (Hero Glamour FI edition from 2021) 3-piston type OEM recommended but if you are not able to find one then aftermarket will do too, even amazon ones will do.
  • Loctite 243 - (any medium-strength thread locker will do)
  • 6mm Allen or hex key (long ones)
  • 1 Lb hammer
  • Minus screwdriver or brake piston pusher
  • Nose plier
  • Brake cleaner spray(optional)
  • microfibre cloth (optional)
  • 120 grit Sandpaper

Time needed - 10 Mins

Do you need a brake pad replacement?

Check for Brake Noise, If you hear a loud squeaking noise while applying the brakes then check the brake pad wear indicator below

If you no longer see the wear line then your pads are worn out and need replacement, else it needs Disc cleaning. Just take a clean rug and spray some brake cleaner spray on the rug and wipe the Disc thoroughly which will take out sand and other debris. And need to remove the pad and rubbed on Sandpaper for better braking.

But if you see scratching on DISC then the disc needs a replacement and won’t be fixed in the below steps.

Step 1

Place your scooter on level ground and turn your handle on the Right side to begin the Caliper removal process. (If you own a paddock now is the time to put it on the stand)

Step 2

Insert the 6mm Allen key/hex key in the 2 Bolts shown below and turn anti-clockwise, and start tapping the hammer on the key till it loosens up, Avoid slippage. Remove both bolts holding the calliper.

: Note the Bolts are torqued till the kingdom comes, so prepare yourself to be harassed.

Step 3

After the calliper bolts are Removed slowly pull away from the Disc shown below

and remove the locking pin’s quarter pin using the nose plier shown below

Push the locking pin slowly back away and will release the brake pads from the calliper and Pull it out of it

Now inspect the wear - It should be even and straight. If it’s uneven or one side is worn more than the other side. you will need to service the calliper (Topic will be covered in Future)

Now look at the new pads and inspect if the pad material is not cut or damaged.

TIPS (optional) If your scooter is fairly new and washed at intervals avoid this

place one of the worn-out pads in the calliper and start pressing on the right side brake and left side brake till all 3 pistons touch the pad,

Spray it with brake cleaner around the pistons and dry it out (do not push them back with brake cleaner on it let it dry completely or, it might contaminate the HYDRAULIC brake fluid)

now using the old pad push back the pistons with the help of a screwdriver or piston pusher

Now the steps are in reverse

Put back the Pads as shown below

Refix the locking pin

Refix the quarter pin

Now Clean the disc with a rug and spray some brake cleaner and dry it out.

slide back the calliper unit on the disc shown below

Re-align the holes for the screws

Apply Loctite 243(a drop) on each of the calliper bolts and screw them. if you own a torque wrench (25lb. ft) use it or tighten it with the HEX - key as much as you can.

DONE.

Caution

If you do something stupid like rounding off the bolts or applying brake cleaner on the pads (yes never apply brake cleaner on brake pads) it’s on you - my topic is a guide rather than a service manual or SOP. I do not take any responsibility for your action

39 Likes

:joy: brake cleaner or pads, :joy:. I liked the disclaimer that follows :rofl:

2 Likes

Part - 2

Brake pad replacement Rear

Difficulty level - easy🙂

Time - 10 Mins

Symtoms

Loud squeaking noise while applying rear brakes, less braking power and discs show wear damage, seeing through the calliper that pads are worn out. PS: Need to decide if the discs are damaged too.

Items required

• Rear Brake pads - Compatible model - Pulsar Series Rear brake-pad (Recommended) Part no. DK151085

Link to aftermarket brake set Amazon.in I am currently using this for a while and works decently, braking power is somewhat reduced to 95% but is manageable

Link to Pulsar series rear brake pads (aftermarket) https://amzn.to/3wVPfVw this is top of the line expensive than OEM but it also takes care of DISC (wears out too soon) braking power increased by at least 10%

• Plier
  • slim screwdriver - Philips type
  • Water pump plier
  • Brake cleaning spray
  • a rag

Oh it fits in the boot too.

Physical inspection before starting

Locate the Locking pin’s quarter pin and pull it with the plier.

Now slide the locking pin into the wheel side.

Note the forks of the wheel might get in the way so make way for it.

After pushing out the pin slide the pads slightly down and pull them out

Inspect the pad for even wear. Important.

If the 1 pad is worn out more than the others, it means the calliper guide pin is not working properly and needs to be lubricated. (Topic will be covered in future)

Now since this is even on both sides we can proceed with pad replacement (I just cleaned and put it back since it has lot of life left)

20230205_185735

Tips

If your calliper is old, place one pad in the calliper and press the rear brakes for the piston to come out and then spray some Brake cleaner

Let it dry before pushing it back

Clean the calliper with the rag

Clean the disc by spraying brake cleaner and wiping it down

Now insert the new pads into the calliper as shown below

20230205_191124

Reinsert the locking pin into the calliper

Reinstall both quarter pins into the locking pin

Uploading: 20230205_193333.gif… Uploading: 20230205_193405.gif…

Now press the rear brakes to engage the pistons firmly

Now we are done with the pad replacement

Caution :warning:

Do not spray brake cleaner on brake pads

Even though the pad replacement in these steps is relatively easy and quick there are limitations

Don’t lose the quarter pins and incorrect installation will lead to brake failure. I do not take any responsibility arising from the above procedure.

This is a guide that can be performed but is not according to the company SOP or Service manual.

PS: This brake pad replacement is not only for Ather but All the brake callipers using this model. Also, I need to buy gloves this work makes my hand unwashable this looks good. https://amzn.to/3DDmrEG is from black and decker.

Weekly I’ll post 1 repair guide

Next post complete brake fluid replacement

9 Likes

@power_light2000 we are waiting for your next post bro :sweat_smile::heart:

2 Likes

Yeah, I accidentally deleted the DIY brake fluid top up and replace, I never knew one could not save more than 1 topic in draft section. Have the write again :sleepy:

4 Likes

Thank you Parveen for sparing your time for creating such DIY posts. Its really helpful for folks who do not have a SC in their vicinity

3 Likes

Thank you parveen for such a detailed post. I have removed the allen key bolts. But after that, I am facing difficulty in pulling the caliper from the disc (Step 3) It looks like it has some kind of locking mechanism or am I missing something? I have an issue where the piston is not retracting inside after engaging the brake. A slight tap on the caliper helps to retract the piston.

Slightly tap on the calliper will force the glide pins to push the pistons back. This is why brake callipers work again if they are stuck.

I just found out the pad on left is completely worn out and no impact on the right. Vehicle covered 8.7k km and I feel it won’t hold till 10k service.

I can replace the brake pads by myself, but how to fix the calliper guide pin? Should I ask SC to fix?

If one side pad is worn out in a caliper, it means guide pin is not lubricated, you can replace both pads and apply some grease (silicone type) in the both rubber boots. This will help in even wear out.

2 Likes