Changing Stock Tyres

AKAIK scooter rims are ALWAYS damaged while changing tyre. Nobody cares about those chips, but the owner has to live with it, has become the norm. I’m not sure if the tyre changing machine, takes the scooter rim size. But if it does, there’s a place called madhus tyre center in Wilson garden. They have an automated Tyre changing machine, which I swear by for our cars. Not sure about scooters though!

Madhus Tyre Centre Wilson Garden

Contact

096118 88893

Maps

https://goo.gl/maps/tXAWMaK6ZecERSkb6

5 Likes

I believe this where @hemanth.anand got the tyre valve changed. I remember him mentioning that they couldn’t use the machine for the rear tyre since the sprocket was in the way and they had to use manual tools for that - which ended up scratching his rims.

4 Likes

But For Hemant, those sprockets are removable with a 5mm/6mm Allen wrench but it does complicate the work and extends the time,

when I asked Ather to change my tyres to Mchillen they first agreed and took my new tyres with the scooter, but later on, said they don’t have the equipment to change the tire and the can only sell me a tyre with new rims with the same MRF tyres, so I asked them to remove the rims so I can go out and change them at that time they removed both Discs and the sprocket so I don’t damage them.

while some shops do want business while others treat the customer differently, I’m in Chennai, afaik I have visited multiple shops that does tire change with machine only, but IMHO most of them want to go for a larger business and that they would avoid small income, I went a shop in Mahalingapuram which had a Mchillen tire shop they did a scooter tire replacement before once but when I went again for Ather and they seems to be busy they denied doing any business. so I went to a local puncture shop and replaced them.

2 Likes

Change of Tyres - Does it void warranty, especially if done from outside Ather?

2 Likes

No, it doesn’t until you stay with the same size that is 12" 90/90, they cannot deny the warranty because that is the company specification.

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tyres & TPMS

I went for Pilot Street 2 the very next day of getting my scooter. They work pretty good on dry road haven’t used on wet yet. Dealer agreed to buy the original MRF’s as well.

4 Likes

Any one has changed rear tyre 110/80 12.

2 Likes

I have changed to tvs 110/80 and 100/80

3 Likes

How is the performance

8 Likes

can you share pictures,Is the tyre hitting the rear tyre hugger ?

3 Likes

IMG_20220104_184524

7 Likes

What changes do you notice after the swap? Comfort, range, grip on dry/wet/slip conditions, etc?

4 Likes

hi , has anyone got their tyres replaced recently in bangalore? My tyres are worn out and I was waiting for them to be back in stock since October 2021. I prefer the stock tyres over 3rd party ones, hence didnt opt for the third party ones.

3 Likes

Many owners like me went for Mchillen tyres in months of owning the scooter, most of us switched because of poor grip and slippage in MRF. if they don’t have tyres you can switch to city pro 90/90 12"

How is the performance? is the Ride stability improved? Is the Range affected?

4 Likes

Performance is much better… Get more confidence in cornering but quality is poor you can only expect it’s life for around 7000 to 10000km

2 Likes

UPDATE 1: March 11, 2022 More experienced users say Michelin pilot street has very little water traction since there are no water channels. They switched back to stock because it felt very risky. Hope i land safe during rains. Please consider this when you are changing tyres.

OP

I switched to Michelin Pilot Street 90/90 12 on the rear. The ride has become more stable and smooth. Many Atherians who tested my ride confirm there is major change.

Meanwhile, the senior tyre guy at the shop i went was voting against maxxis and he actually showed how soft the tyre is. The other tyres showcased did not budge on a firm push, but maxxis just gives into well. Not sure if that means better shock absorption, but the tyre guy says it is bad.

2 Likes

Maxxis has been bad in my experience they tend to fail after 8 months, which happened to me twice, both time the side wall gave up and bulged

2 Likes

Hi all, I just completed 1500 kms and to my surprise the front tyre punctured. Really im surprised to see that the front tyre got puncture due to a small nail thats what Ather SC guys said and i do not blame them as they immediately responded and rectified with as usual local push pull puncture patch. My question is whatever may be the road say on road or off road we are living in INDIA and for all these years I owned many vehicle right from scooter/bike/car whatever it is the first puncture being noticed was not less than 10000km at least and that too it occurs on the rear tyre as in case of scooter/bike and again it takes more days/time to get a puncture in front tyre. Is it not too short period to get a puncture in my case? I feel that the tyre is so inferior to get damage in such a short period. So why im writing in this topic is many suggested few tyre brands above which is confusing, can someone suggest a brand equivalent to stock tyre in size but with more grip and to some extent puncture resistant pls.

4 Likes

Nail getting pierced into the tyre has nothing to do with the tyre quality, it’s just bad luck. Many people in this forum have upgraded their tyre to their like some of them are

Michelin 90/90 12" City PRO can be used in the front and rear Michelin 90/90 12" PILOT STREET 2 can be used in the front and rear

Upgrading if that’s an option for you (range will get decreased) and warranty may get void

TVS Remora 12" 100/80 for Front & TVS Remora 12" 110/80 For Rear

BTW no tyre is Puncture resistant.

5 Likes