Changing Stock Tyres

in the ather 450x are we required to only the same size tyres or we can put thick tyres and install in any nearby shop or do we need special alignment for somethings ( except belt adjusting after installing new tyre)

1 Like

You can put performance tyre 110/ 80 12 from TVS…It may drop in efficiency a little But it is better if we stick to stock specifications for better performance unless you require extra grip for speed & off road driving. Yes once the tyres are changed you need to adjust belt tension and check alignment at EC.

P.S. I am very satisfied with my Michelin pilot street 2 90/90 12 tyres… good grip and comfortable ride

4 Likes

Has anyone tried TVS Eurogrip 90/90-12 CONTA 725? They go for about ₹1050 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B094NV9JBQ/

If you are changing tyres because those MRF ain’t doing it’s job I would Suggest to go for Michelin City pro 90/90 they are really good in my experience the tyres have better grip ,proper curvature for taking turns , and less slippery in Rains

1 Like

Hey, can some expert here put a list of tire sizes that fit Ather and what would it do? Basically decode the “90/90 12” and other sizes that will fit?

1 Like
4 Likes

Wow cool! Thanks for pulling this here!

Are there other compatible sizes like 100/80 12 (not sure if this works with Ather) that increases grip, etc? Any insight on such sizes and what effect they have on commute?

I found the below calculator, but not sure which can practically fit the scooter.

1 Like

I don’t think an upsize is required. I changed my 450X tyres to Maxxis, same size as stock. Grip and braking performance has improved a lot, even pick-up seems to have improved. Some other Ather owners have changed to Michelin with same size as stock and they have seen similar improvement.

2 Likes

I have changed it to Michelin Pilot Street 2 which is very good… its 200/- costier than michillin city pro but gives better wet & dry grip. I would suggest michellin pilot street 2 tyres.

3 Likes

I see many have changed the stock tyres. I want to fit an internal TPMS which needs tyres to be removed. Some pointers needed.

1. Can any good tyre shop change remove and fit the tyres back? Or is it difficult which can be done only at Ather?

2. Did anyone take a photo of the tyre after removing the tyres? Can you share?

3. Did anyone take a video during the tyre change? Can you share?

1 Like

It can be done at a good workshop but do get your belts adjusted properly by Ather.

even Ather’s own service center in Chennai does not support any tire change the last I checked it’s better the community comes together and shares their experience with some photos, location where it was done.

I changed my tires at a local shop and they damaged the rims, NOT happy at all, but big dealers don’t even care for changing the tires which can be done in a tire changing machine. If some one done this is in Chennai please share those details

2 Likes

AKAIK scooter rims are ALWAYS damaged while changing tyre. Nobody cares about those chips, but the owner has to live with it, has become the norm. I’m not sure if the tyre changing machine, takes the scooter rim size. But if it does, there’s a place called madhus tyre center in Wilson garden. They have an automated Tyre changing machine, which I swear by for our cars. Not sure about scooters though!

Madhus Tyre Centre Wilson Garden

Contact

096118 88893

Maps

https://goo.gl/maps/tXAWMaK6ZecERSkb6

5 Likes

I believe this where @hemanth.anand got the tyre valve changed. I remember him mentioning that they couldn’t use the machine for the rear tyre since the sprocket was in the way and they had to use manual tools for that - which ended up scratching his rims.

4 Likes

But For Hemant, those sprockets are removable with a 5mm/6mm Allen wrench but it does complicate the work and extends the time,

when I asked Ather to change my tyres to Mchillen they first agreed and took my new tyres with the scooter, but later on, said they don’t have the equipment to change the tire and the can only sell me a tyre with new rims with the same MRF tyres, so I asked them to remove the rims so I can go out and change them at that time they removed both Discs and the sprocket so I don’t damage them.

while some shops do want business while others treat the customer differently, I’m in Chennai, afaik I have visited multiple shops that does tire change with machine only, but IMHO most of them want to go for a larger business and that they would avoid small income, I went a shop in Mahalingapuram which had a Mchillen tire shop they did a scooter tire replacement before once but when I went again for Ather and they seems to be busy they denied doing any business. so I went to a local puncture shop and replaced them.

2 Likes

Change of Tyres - Does it void warranty, especially if done from outside Ather?

2 Likes

No, it doesn’t until you stay with the same size that is 12" 90/90, they cannot deny the warranty because that is the company specification.

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tyres & TPMS

I went for Pilot Street 2 the very next day of getting my scooter. They work pretty good on dry road haven’t used on wet yet. Dealer agreed to buy the original MRF’s as well.

4 Likes

Any one has changed rear tyre 110/80 12.

2 Likes