Battery Pack

50kms in power and 60 in eco…

1 Like

similar for me when driving aggressively.

2 Likes

A simple option within app to list every time predicted range vs actual run should help one understand what’s happening in actual.

On the same line, listing of total charge cycle vs total mileage till date.
The app feature sets are so useless and I don’t hear anything on them till date.

5 Likes

@Ather.Team, @Shreyas Do you have some updates on this? Battery fire in case of an accident is a genuine concern in case of EVs. Posting a few more articles regarding this topic.

2 Likes

Does continues Charging and discharging affect the battery?? Because I tend to charge it whenever the vehicle is parked in the basement…
@Ather.Team, please shed some light on this…

1 Like

The battery pack is enclosed in an aluminium shell and is quite rigid. Moreover it has gone through nail penetration testing as a part of the homologation tests. The pack passed, which is why we have vehicles on the roads. Adding to it, that test is done on the battery in isolation.

The battery is actually a lot safer on the scooter because it is shielded by the chassis on all sides. 2-wheeler crash testing standards which are battery focused do not yet exist hence there has been no formal crash testing conducted. However, the scooter has been through its fair share of accidents during road testing and the chassis, the battery casing and short circuit protection mechanisms ensured that there was no fire in the aftermath. (In case you were wondering, our test riders were fine as well :slight_smile: )

19 Likes

I have already made a 48V 16 Ah lithium ion battery pack two years back for my Hero Proton and it is working like charm… same charger is being used. Now after I take delivery of my new Ather I’m intending to make a new Li Ion pack and parallel it for doubling range… Or have a changeover switch to switch on either one pack after discharge of the other… Mine will be a mobile pack too as I have done for my existing EV. Charging of my added pack will be separately done…

9 Likes

Ather battery pack have BMS embbed in it which do send some SOC, SOH, sync commands and other parrameters to charger while charging . How can you add parallel battery to charge up without communication to charger. And most of all it will void your scooter warranty.

7 Likes

True. Mine will be a standalone redundant pack with separate charger. BMS will be built in for equalisation of charge for each set of 3.7V individual bank. Changeover switch will disconnect original battery and connect mine to the system. Should work in my estimate.

3 Likes

If it’s working it would be great add battery for long distance travel. As my self built 16s Battery pack for old EV scooter. I can remodifiy the same cells to suit this arrangement. Bit still one thing is bugging me is without BMS comms to motor controller while discharging, for protection will controller drive the motor? If athers motor controller firmware loop need that as primary detections for battery pack availability.

3 Likes

Where do you source your 18650 cells?

https://www.jasconenergy.com

I sourced the batteries from Jascon Energy, Trichy. 18650 cells … Panasonic cells are almost 220 rupees a piece where as these cells have a little lower aH but much lower price. Just go to their website we which I have given above.

1 Like

What’s the price of 18650 cells you have bought ?Per cell

I think it was Rs 135/- per cell. BMS was for 14 banks of 3.7V costing around 2K.

1 Like

How fast does the battery degrade in ather 450? Is it possible to use the battery for more than 50000 kms? Also, what would be the battery replacement cost?

It has a 3 year unlimited kms warranty, if in this duration battery capacity drops lower than 70% it will be replaced free of cost. Battery replacement cost for the 450 currently is pegged at around 35k, which is expected to drop considerably over the years with mass adoption of EVs, localised production of cells and recycling and reuse of older battery packs.
Whether it would be usable beyond 50k or not would depend on the number of charge cycles the battery pack has been through, just like how your smartphone’s battery lifespan depends on your usage and charging habits.

2 Likes

Will the battery drain if not used

1 Like

Yes. You can put the bike in holiday mode if you are not going to use it for a few days.

2 Likes

Is this the same as shut down?

Yes… Shutdown/Vacation Mode/Holiday Mode…

2 Likes