Ather Grid Blockage - Almond House SD Road Hyderabad

Wow 20 replies in 3 hours. This thread is flying.

This happens a lot with owners and grids. Definitely when its paid it will go away. In Chennai at Anna Nagar cocojaunt charger i have seen a owner who was arguing saying 5:30 to 6:30 is his time as he chargers daily in that time after that he will go to home or something like that :joy:. At that time even 100% unlock was not present. Some owners wait, some people put a note with contact details on a Post-it. Sometimes we use our owners group to trace the person

Unlock at 80% should be a feature. If anyone needs full 100% charge for their ride they will wait for it to happen or put a note that remove only after 100% Due to long trip. But there is another problem with that if i have 70% charge and i have paid for 1 hour so that i can get 100% charge for my ride. Someone can unplug at 80%. In next 10-20 mins. Maybe ather can set an option to unlock at full or when the payment time is over (when payment is necessary). Now when grid points are less and its free to use, solenoid unlock at 80% and it continues charging till 100% if no person removes charger. But there is another issue of saftey because even after 80% power supply is continuing and is not stopped like in the case of 100% charged and solenoid unlock :thinking: :expressionless: :confounded:

3 Likes

What about personal grids at home,is that possible ,yes let them charge 30-50k many owners can afford it and aren’t concerned about battery life and only concerned about convenience,does it need a 3 phase connection?

Hi Harsha,

I have tested the unlock feature at an ather grid when there is no one waiting for charging. On that day, after 2 minutes of reaching 100% I observed in the display that the status went from “charging” to “Initializing” and then the lock release sound was heard. And then again it has changed the status from “Initialization” to “Charging” but I didn’t received the status as “completed” on the dashboard.

I have removed the charger directly at that time to check if is coming without key and it worked.

This indicates that even if it is charging we can remove the plug unless the charger is locked. Will it creates any issues if we remove the connector in between? I am not sure may be I don’t think something will happen if we remove directly.

Ather can charge per top-up,in kw/hr for instance if you top-up 10% in Fast charging and then your charger went into slow mode kw/hr won’t make a difference, since they are already calculating and sending us the Home unit and grid units consumed in the monthly log, charging accordingly won’t make a difference that way it will be unit-based and not time-based.

This will benefit the users since their charges will be very limited and even if someone interrupts the charging your money will not get wasted

2 Likes

In Ather 450 it shows “charging now” even at 100% for few minutes and later when it shows “charging completed” power supply stops and solenoid unlock happens.

Its similar to pulling out from a 3 pin socket when the switch is still ON, But safest way is to turn off the switch and then remove the 3 pin socket. we don’t know if it is a big problem but Ather will consider safe methods right when live power is involved

1 Like

I think Grid setup cost will be between 1 to 3 lakhs

Yes its possible for Ather vehicles, current system of setting timer in grid app is intented for other ev. Ather can setup something like a wallet for Ather owners were we can buy minutes for charging using Ather credits or money and use grids based on it we can either set how many minutes/percentage charge required in app and auto cutoff afterwards or simply Ather can calculate minutes between plug in and plug out and charge based on it, so Ather owners can have best experience while using grids with payment

I’ll tell you the problem here is ather will loose in that last 80+% as the charging tike is more and it can charge another scooter from 0-50% till then as the time consumed will be same but units draws different and thus more profit for ather with the second vehicle,I amnt sure what ather is going ,will see in September or if they postpone in March 22 but with all these flaws it still remains the best from a customer point of view to charge on kWh basis but for a company time wise is best for its profit

As far as I remember, I heard the the DC fast charger costs > 5 lacs.

This scooter was designed to be used within city. So, they have the grid points in city.

It is genuinely useful for a lot of people. E.g.

• People who travel long every day and uses the grid for top-up
  • People who under-estimated the range when they started
  • People who had to travel extra than they thought…

Less than 10% people may take it outside city. Unless Ather wants to business benefit or a branding need, they don’t have incentive to add chargers outside.

Still, if they can add on highways, it will help those people, even if small in number.

2 Likes

As far as I know a 50kwh fast charger comes around 8-10 lakhs so 5 lakhs for this seems too much.

1 Like

+1 The scooter was designed to use within city limits. If we put grids outside of the city, the number of people using it will be much lesser than now. Moreover maintaining those grids will be a nightmare.

1 Like

I don’t understand what your issue with someone making a useful idea is. What is the battery capacity of a tesla and what is its range? How can you even compare it with a 2 wheeler ev?

I feel sorry that you think it’s a ‘marketing tool’, yes it’s a advantage that encourages people to buy ev rather than ice vehicles because range anxiety is the biggest problem.

Very good idea. Not feasible to implement. There are houses everywhere, at least in Bangalore.

Just because it doesn’t help you doesn’t mean others aren’t dependent on it. I think I’ve explained this before as well, I don’t know which city you live in or what your riding requirements are, but there are many people who are dependent on the grid. I myself planned to travel 60+ km today in warp mode within the city of bangalore. I would have obviously needed a point to charge to get back home or continue my journey elsewhere. I may not have time to plan my journey, I may have route changes, you have to take all that into account. The vehicle is made and marketed for people who ride within cities for their daily jobs. If you want to take it to another city or state that’s your prerogative. I’m not saying I wouldn’t oppose Ather putting up points on the highway. But points in the city at strategic locations will serve more people than on the highway, at least in a city like Bangalore.

Just because someone misuses it you can’t say it’s not a practical idea and doesn’t make sense. Ather is doing the right things to help remove range anxiety. They’re spending and putting in the grids.

5 Likes