Ather Dot, the new home charging pod

Anish, go for POD as you do not have any reported issues (Fan sound, light etc). However make sure you do not have grounding related problems.

You may also go for DOT,

• if the longer charging is acceptable to you
  • if you plan to move somewhere else again as DOT is more portable.
4 Likes

Both have its own Plus and Minus… if I have to take call… I would go with DOT…

1. The installation is completely on me so (of course I need to pay) if there are minor problems local electrician can fix it.
  2. The voltage fluctuation and grounding issues is been taken care of. I need not have to check if the vehicle is getting charged or not.
  3. its good for battery life.
4 Likes

Got some pictures of the DOT when I was at the EC today.
The honeycomb vent has a cooling fan right behind it.

The cassette slot type opening looks like an air intake vent and I did not see any sort of weather protection. Would be interested in knowing what IP rating this confirms to.

Side view give you an idea of how compact this unit is. It’s almost half the size of the existing one.

10 Likes

I like it… It has a badass alien look.

3 Likes

ip11

2 Likes

To me, only 2 things matter…

1. Can it be installed outdoor?? Resistance to dust & water… (IP 65, 67…)
  2. Length of charging cable as i live in a rented home on 1st floor and my owner may not allow me to install it in ground floor.

Slow charge when compared to Ather Point isn’t a big issue, as home charging is mostly done overnight.

And well, I am curious, what has happened to the portable charger too…

7 Likes

IS IT water resistant ? the previous model could be used outdoors this one looks like it has a lot of openings that might let the water inside.
its a bit concerning

2 Likes

Ather dot is built for closed spaces as per the update on the website, so I’m sure it’s not water resistant

1 Like

@Ather.Team Please reply to concerns with regard to water and dust resistance. Ather Dot’s performance is fine as a home charging points. But if it not suitable for outdoor use, it will be of concern to many.

I have pre-booked and I would want an outdoor charging point as my home is on first floor and I may have to drop cable all the way down from there for charging.

2 Likes

@samarthraj ; @ismailbh20

Quoting following from Ather FAQ page, please note both Home POD and DOT are water resistant and can withstand during rain.

Source: https://www.atherenergy.com/faq/grid/specs-features

3 Likes

I have gone through the FAQ. But I feel Ather Dot should also be a complete package as Ather Point is.

As I said, I live on first floor and installing Ather Dot indoor and dropping the charging cable down to parking through a window can be inconvenient for few of us (may not be everyone).

Installing in portico outside will subject it to rain (mild and heavy).

Frankly, I loved Ather Dot’s design and even agree to the justification, that it doesn’t come with fast charging. My concern is its safety and convenience.

And, as Ather Dot has lower IP rating than point, I suggest Ather provide periodic check points for customers to keep their Ather Dot well maintained.

1 Like

In terms of IP rating, both POD and DOT are same. My home charging point is installed outside my home and exposed to all harsh environment (dust, rain etc). So far in the last 7 months I have not faced any issue.

2 Likes

@rajeshkav, this is really helpful. Was very hesitant to take the DOT if given. I guess it should be the same experience if the IP rating is the same. Thanks again

2 Likes

@rajeshkav Looks like i overlooked the IP rating comparisons. Thanks for sharing your experience. Surely gives some confidence there…

2 Likes

Recently visited Ather experience center in Chennai to clarify my doubts on POD and DOT charging time.
However, the person (Kevin) confirmed that both the home charging points (POD and DOT) takes almost same time.
Was bit surprised to hear this as some of you have mentioned that DOT takes longer time compared to POD.
As I drive over 75km/day, I am worried that longer charging time will not be convenient with limited public charging infrastructure.

1 Like

DOT takes 1 hour extra time compared to POINT but its good for battery life… I am telling this from my personal experience If you plan your trips correctly you can complete more than 75 KM easily in a day… with current charging infrastructure in Chennai…

4 Likes

@rajeshkav are you sure this is for the new Dot? I think the page is not updated and it is same from the Point days. But I seriously hope it’s the same for Dot. I say ‘hope’ because I heard or read somewhere (not sure and do not recollect exactly where) that it is recommended to have the Dot in a covered area. The Point was marketed with an USP that it can be installed outdoors.

Anyway, I was looking at the Dot specifications in comparison to the Point and I’m more in love with the Point.
Point Home Charger:
0-80% in 2hrs 40mins i.e., 160 mins which is 1% in 2 mins
0-100% in 4 hrs 18 mins i.e., additional 118mins for the last 20% which is ~ 1% in 6 mins
The slow charging for the last 20% is understandable and also practical.
Dot Home Charger:
0-80% in 4hrs 30mins i.e., 270 mins which is 1% in 3 mins 22.5 seconds.
0-100% in 5 hrs 15 mins i.e., additional 45mins for the last 20% which is 1% in 2 mins 15 secs.

While the charging time for 0-100% has increased by a shade less than an hour, the 0-80% charging time has increased by almost 2 hours! Phone or EV, it is practically preferable that a battery would charge to 80% at a faster rate and then the last 20% slower. The opposite is disappointing and puzzling to me. This is a big disadvantage for any body looking to charge just enough to reach his/her destination.

7 Likes

Spot on. In fact the only and big minus in Dot I see is the increased charging in 0-80%.

I m not sure if the charging speed varies below 80% also. For example 0-60 @ 3 mins per percent and 60-80 @ 4 mins per percent…

If that’s the case, it’s still kind of okay…

1 Like

Well, to me, charging time is still not a concern as far as charging at home is concerned. But outdoor installation and usability is a must!

@Shreyas hope Ather is listening.

3 Likes

Breaking down the Ather Dot vs Point weather proofing confusions:

Is the Ather Dot safe to install outdoor?

Yes. The Dot is safe to install outdoors.

Now, however, that the installation can be done by the user or any electrician, they have to ensure that the input side cables are crimped and shielded properly when drawing the line from their meter room or home.

Also, the user has to ensure that the vehicle side charging connector is securely mounted in its mounting slot. It cannot be left dangling on the ground or just wrapped around without the connector in the slot.

The details of installation can be found in the installation and user manual that will be supplied with the Dot.

11 Likes