Ather Dot, the new home charging pod

I don’t think you can do that, as its fairly big in size (compared to portable charger).

Don’t think that’s a good idea. It seems to have an extra connector or something. Better to use your portable charger as a home charging point or just get the dot and carry it in the underseat storage. It first apparently.

1 Like

You could. Have heard that the dot fits underseat.

1 Like

Yup as far as I remember, since I was doing some other work while the converter was fixed on the socket. The manual does mention somewhere - "please use the 16A to 6/5A converter provided with the Pod. " So yes ! that means it does come along with “16 A Plug type PCRD” Pod charger.

On a side note, the ather installation is as simple as connecting an iron box. Don’t be anxious.

2 Likes

If it doesn’t charge upon plugging in, you can call up customer care - I believe they map it at the backend. So that only your vehicle can charge using the Dot.

2 Likes

I fail to understand how this dot is more water resistant than the portable charger. Cuz the dot is just the portable charger in the black housing with vents up front Are those vents designed to only let air through?

4 Likes

I had the same doubt and asked the same to the technician and the answer was as usual it is waterproof Sir.

Because it’s 5ft above the ground :grin:. On a serious note, even I am interested in understanding this. The vent is large enough to supply Cauvery water - no way that helps with water resistance.

4 Likes

If so, we’ll find out in a day or two if 5ft is really enough :stuck_out_tongue:
I hope it is…

Is the vent on top open? I thought that’s something else. :open_mouth: If it’s meant to take on rains, why is it directed upwards ? :neutral_face:

1 Like

Didn’t you know that the Dot is also a letter box :grin:

Jokes apart…it is just a vent to suck in cool air and let out the warm air from the front.

The Dot can’t be waterproof…it’s just water resistant. It can’t be out in the open like the First gen home charger or the public charger but it can resist some rain splashes.

3 Likes

Why put the vent to suck in air right on top :no_mouth::no_mouth:

I still haven’t seen a single dot in person.

Firstly hot air rises up - Reason for vent on top. As hot air rises up it creates suction for cool air (which is heavier) to enter through the various honeycomb patterns in the cover.

Vent on top is a good but it needs to bend into a U shape which will prevent dust, water and whatever else that enters with gravity assist. All fins entries should be angled downwards. Maybe a real engineer will design it the next time around.

It’s actually the inlet for air. I think. The outlet is the honey comb.

The pod being waterproof or not, I still don’t know it. But for the meantime, I will definitely get an acrylic case (The one which @diwakar24 got for his - Pic below) for the Pod since mine is fairly exposed to rainwater as I noticed after light showers today in bangalore. Same for the 5 A socket installed.

The only modification I would add to it - Hinges to open the front flap for easy access and maintenance

5 Likes

image This is the way vents should be designed, pointing downwards.

As far as top vent being inlet for air, please read your 7th standard physics of how hot gases rise and cool air is heavier.

1 Like

Agree with you on that but…

No need to get all fiesty mate. Chill. I’m not an expert, but there’s a fan, dead centre. You really think it matters if the hot air raises up to conveniently exit the dot? XD ( especially past an airstream like that?) :joy: For those who have the portable charger/dot. Could you clarify if the the fan sucks in air or pushes out air? I’m assuming it pushes out air from the centre. Makes the most sense. But in that case. The position of the inflow makes no sense

In any case @indianfarmer I was referring to this post. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Guys please help me choose between dot or portable charger. Most of the time, I will use the scooter from Home so I feel dot would be better. But my dad says, in case we go to our grandma’s place or somewhere else to stay for a week, then it would be a problem, so better to get portable charger. Any suggestions?

10 Likes

After the courier ships, you would get a messagw with a tracking link, if you want to change the address, you can update it there, i ordered ather in chennai, and i updated my address, to visakhapatnam, it got delivered

2 Likes

How frequent are the trips to other places? If it is too frequent then portable charger makes sense. It is exactly the same as dot internally, charge time is also same. if you can afford to buy both then it will solve your dad’s problem as well.