Ather 450X Discussions

I checked the protocol used in Mi bands or any other bluetooth smartwatches and it seems like they use the same low energy / BLE protocol which syncs the data in real time. If my phone is connected to the scooter via bluetooth, I am sure it can sync MBs of data if not GBs.

Again, I am not sure about the packet size of each sync cycle in Ather and it could be true that bluetooth is not reliable / efficient but it’s just a thought where TCO of 450x can be made more economical.

Source:https://mobile.mi.com/in/miband/

2 Likes

I agree, that’s why Mi bands and other smart wearables use BLE which is longer range to keep connection to the phone. Your data gets transferred over regular bluetooth protocols, which have higher bandwidth requirements, but uses more power.

Some differences here: https://www.link-labs.com/blog/bluetooth-vs-bluetooth-low-energy

1 Like

Okay, this makes sense. So, to put things in perspective ather’s BLE will be and can only be used for tasks like showing call notifications and change music.

How will the audio route through in the connected helmet? From phone to ather to helmet or from phone to helmet directly?

1 Like

We’re working out the features and the specifications of the smart helmet and will keep you posted on updates.

2 Likes

That’s correct, and for other accessories like TPMS which require very low data bandwidth.

1 Like

I too have the same question @abhishek.balaji. when you are going to spend almost 1.5 lakh , it has to have abs. Atleast single channel.

3 Likes

This brings me to follow-up questions

1. Is wi-fi in the dashboard different from our normal WiFi antennas (similar to BLE)? If yes, how?
  2. Can the on-board 8GB storage be used to cache google maps or download offline map of the whole city? Did 450 have some storage built-in for the same purpose?

Not more than Rs. 500

1 Like

Yes, the WiFi is different on the dashboard and is mainly added to aid the functioning of Bluetooth. We already cache Google Maps on the 450 and are improving that on the 450X dashboards.

Google Maps APIs don’t allow offline downloading of maps, hence we can’t provide this feature yet. If they do allow, the team will consider adding it.

4 Likes

I’ll share the feedback with the team, but it might not be possible on the same platform as the 450X.

1 Like

Is first year’s ather one subscription included if we buy 450x upfront by paying 149/159k plus whatever?

When are you unveiling ather grid points on the app for confirmed cities?

I will now await for collector’s edition’s details before jumping the gun.

We’ll announce subscription plans for the 450X soon!

For confirmed cities, before we begin delivery, we’ll set up Grid points.

1 Like

I would totally agree to your comment on subscription plan, though i cannot judge what is the right subscription fee. I am alight user and i do not want pay a subscription fee just for battery change. I like my 450 and the plan is very clear.

I was going through a couple of videos on youtube about 450x’s test drive and it seems like they had a third subscription plan as well for light users but they chucked it a couple of days before the launch.

And now for some reason I feel that they were testing the waters as to how much indians are willing to shell out on a subscription model. Also, it seems very likely they will bring it back.

P.S. This is just pure speculation, don’t believe anything I say unless an ather representative confirms it.

5 Likes

@Ather.Team @abhishek.balaji
Lets get this
A decent price for the scooter itself i. E 450x… Done right (99K exshowroom)

Packs… Not done right

Charge customers (individuals) with new plans for geo-fencing and security only that could be ₹3-5k per year, which reduces the insurance cost (that the insurance company can share with ather)
Keeping the power plans at maximum. The original X plan.

Charge customers (corporates viz. Dominoes, pizzahut, zomato) with the default pro and plus packs.

Charge customers (individuals) for using ather grid on as use basis (eg. i have geo fencing pack and i use ather grid fast charge… I pay certain amount via various modes or else get it added to my ather geo fencing plan added and charged in future.
BUT IF I DON’T have geo-fencing plan, and i ther grid. I pay EXTRA TO ATHER SAY… ₹200 + CERTAIN AMOUNT + TAXES.)

Let the customers decide on what e-sim service provider he/she wishes to use and let them pay the connectivity cost (airtel / jio / whatever).

Voila seems like a good reasonable and quite feasible options.

4 Likes

Point 5 to my top list: Ather 450x normal subscription: ₹1000. Has a few features and a little above eco mode (i think eco mode should be what I’ll be using for daily commute in Kochi based on my daily riding)

And hw upgrade: pass light switch

₹1000 is a sweet spot. Anything beyond that will be kinda unnecessary. One should never forget, we might also need to pay for Ather one for peace of mind of the owner. So ₹1000pm is definitely a sweet spot.

3 Likes

Yes that’s the tragedy :pensive:
You have to buy a normal unleaded petrol of ₹1699 or High octane petrol of ₹1999/- per month for an EV😂

2 Likes

That kind of model is ok for software products. But a scooter is more of a hardware product. And essentially you are selling to the customer the battery pack and motor with the max capacity and other stuff like Bluetooth etc… So you have already spent your money there. Then what is the point of locking those features for some extra fees?

It’s like buying a 3BHK flat and being told you can use only 1 BHK in it because you are paying less maintenance charges.

8 Likes

What Ather NEEDS to do now.

1. Keep the entry price of 450x to 1.15L
  2. Do not discontinue the 450 and reprice it to 90k
  3. This is not Netflix. Scrap the subscription model.
  4. Battery prices WILL come down. Charge for batteries when the requirement arrives, 3 to 5 years from now.
  5. GET A DAMN CENTRE STAND. This is India. Close parking is a huge issue.
  6. Do deals with banks to bring good EMI options, and earn money out of that.
  7. Concentrate on the grid, and earn money out of that.
  8. Think long term. Be the competition.
13 Likes