Ask Us Anything on Charging Infrastructure

Question: Any possibility to have comments section/review pane or FAQ section on the grid points in Ather app so that people can get some understanding before visiting a new grid. For eg: if I am going to use a grid 50km from my home, I would like to see if there are any juice shops or restaurants nearby so that I can plan my ride accordingly. Restaurants I can search in Google maps, but having the opportunity to read fellow grid user’s suggestions on spending time in that grid point would be better I feel.

12 Likes

This feature is still under development. We are conducting trials to ensure that the information displayed is accurate. A multitude of smart algorithms work in the background to estimate the number of vehicles that could be potentially waiting at a given Ather Grid charging point.

5 Likes

We’re fixing the bug with Guide-me-home lights in the next OTA update. We’ll roll it out to you all in a few days.

We’re not considering remote access to unlock the charger right now. That’s because it doesn’t solve the problem of some users leaving the vehicle plugged in even when charging is complete, which may inconvenience other users who need a top-up more urgently.

4 Likes

Yes, charging at Ather Grid will be a paid service within a month. Many of you have been asking us to go this way for a while, and we talked about it during the Community Day event earlier this year. Paid charging will accomplish two primary objectives for us:

1. It will ensure that only riders who truly need a top-up on the go will use the chargers, freeing them up for those who need them.
  2. It will level up everyone’s charging experience by reducing wait times.
5 Likes

Uptime is the top priority for the Ather Grid team. We’re constantly upgrading our chargers with new and improved tech for better uptime.

The Ather app has a feature that allows you to report a faulty charger with a single tap, making it easy for us to attend to faults at the earliest.

3 Likes

Fast chargers are primarily meant for quick top-ups when on the road. But we do understand how it has become the go-to charging solution for outstation or local travel. Having said that, we are addressing the reliability of Ather Grid charging points with improved tech. We expect this upgrade to begin next month. While this will solve for the availability of chargers, especially for outstation travel, there are two ongoing efforts:

1. The option to charge till 100% on fast chargers. This is some time away, and should be available by the first half of 2024.
  2. Installing Grid points on highways, especially routes with frequent riders (state highways, for instance).
12 Likes

Question : In Bangalore City we have touched 100 charging points but , one of the issues i can see is many charging points are saturated in a small area for example within domlur indiranagar marathaHalli Bellandur area there are around 6-7 charging points of which 4 are in Ather space Indira nagar and 1 each in indiranagar and Marathi Halli and Bellandur , is there any plans to increas ethe coverage area within 10 15 kms as many places doesn’t have any charging points at all eg: murugesh palaya or domlur or wind tunnel road etc

How will make sure the charging points aren’t too close or too far from each other?

3 Likes

Thank you for your inputs and suggestions for locations. We have plans to expand in both east and west Goa in the coming months. We have also been working to partner with petrol station pan India and have a tie up with both HPCL and BPCL. In Goa we have two HPCL petrol stations with our chargers- One in North Goa- Ponda side and the second one in HPCL-Calangute. Installations in the Sindhdurg district have been tricky due to the terrain and difficult to run grid points from an operational standpoint.

1 Like

We are constantly working to make the app and location of each Ather Grid charging point as user-friendly as possible. If you see Grid points that are not marked accurately, we request you to use the “report an issue” function and share the link to the correct location. We will get it sorted out immediately.

4 Likes

Thank you for this brilliant suggestion. We shall take this under consideration.

8 Likes

Fast chargers are shared resources. Therefore, they are designed to ensure that users remove their vehicles as soon as they have enough charge, so that the space can be freed up for the next user.

1 Like

Ather batteries are built to last long in most riding conditions and charging patterns, including fast charging every day. Fast charging does not drastically degrade battery health. However, if you want to retain the vehicle and higher battery health for longer than average, it is best to keep the state-of-charge (SoC) between 20-80% and mostly use slow charging. While using fast charging occasionally, only when required.

1 Like

Interoperability in 2W is more complex than just using adapters for chargers. We need to ensure rigorous testing around standards, charging protocols and electrical architecture to ensure a safe and positive charging experience for all stakeholders. Interoperability will become a goal for the industry across connectors in the future, but it will not happen anytime soon.

3 Likes

Adding social engagement to each charging point contributes both value and complexity. While we see the greater benefit for users, we may have to take some time to fully understand the complexities involved before developing a feature with social engagements.

5 Likes

Interoperability is the future of electric vehicle charging infrastructure. The two-wheeler EV industry is just starting to adopt this practice, which has been the norm for the four-wheeler EV industry for some time. We are currently in the testing phase and will share more information soon. And regarding the charging speeds? It will depend on the available power and the charging capabilities of respective scooter.

2 Likes