An 'e-motion'al connect - Hemanth's Ather 450

Ride & Handling

Go Wheee!

After starting the motor, turn the accelerator a bit and the scooter moves quickly. Like the scooter’s tagline, it truly goes wheee!

Being an EV, the torque delivery is almost instant, linear and addictive. It takes off like a jet in the normal/sport mode; it is slightly mellowed down in the eco/ride mode. The top speed that the scooter can reach is 90kmph in normal/sport mode and 70kmph in eco/ride mode. Till the scooter reaches close to the top speed, it doesn’t show any signs of tiredness…it’s happy to fly! Riding on the highway makes it a breeze. On the NICE road, it felt nice and balanced. the firmness of the shocks is very nice. The wonderful weight distribution gives amazing confidence to chuck it around corners at speeds that other scooters can’t even imagine doing this.
Taking it in hairpin bends would’ve been fun. Agreed, this scooter will not go on highways as much and will mostly be used in cities. It is here, in crawling city speeds that the balance and the low centre of gravity makes its presence felt. It is very nimble in all speeds that it is capable of doing. This nimbleness will help in snaking around chaotic traffic.
Also there quite a few steep slopes near my home which the scooter does it with ease. On the brochure They have mentioned a grade-ability of 18 degrees at a constant 10 kmph speed.

It’s an EV and it is all the more important to conserve energy and regenerate wherever possible. The scooter regenerates energy in two ways- 1. when we brake and 2. when the throttle is rotated in the opposite(forward) direction. This feels like we are using engine braking in our ICE cars. This forward rotation is only a small amount and initially I was not sure If I was even rotating it. The regen works only above 15kmph and only when the battery is less than 80%. The regen status is not displayed anywhere (like in the E2O) and the regeneration is a very small amount; almost ignore-able. Another point is that during regeneration by rotating the accelerator forward, pressing the right side brake lever is difficult. Either we have to apply the left side brake lever or let loose of the grip and re-position the right hand to normal position to apply the brakes. takes some time to get used to.
The hydraulic telescopic shocks at the front perform very well in both slow and fast speeds. The progressive rear monoshock is on the firmer side but not a bone jarring experience by any means. Because of this firmness, it tends to jump on humps when there is no person sitting behind. The sound feels like the seat is not locked. but when a pillion rider is there, it is comfortable enough for him too. Overall it is a satisfying ride.

If this torque, balance and nimble nature excites you, the Bybre brakes are what gives you that confidence to go fast. It’s very sharp and initially it feels dangerously sharp. But over time, it beds in perfectly and we also get used to it. If 0-40 in 3.9 secs is an exhilarating experience, the 60-0 braking distance in 28.6 metres is an experience that can bring a smile on the rider’s face. The Combi Brake System works beautifully. The front brakes are 200mm discs with triple piston calipers while the rear brakes are 190mm discs with a single piston caliper. The rear brakes do tend to get locked and skid on hard braking. An ABS plus a fatter rear tyre would’ve made it perfect. although it is still according the new ABS regulation. According to the regulation, ABS is for ICE vehicles above 125cc and EVs above continuous rated power of 11kW. For vehicles below this capacity, a Combi Brake System is mandatory (which Ather has provided).

Both the front and rear 90/90-12 tubeless MRF nylogrip zappers do their duty beautifully. The recommended air pressure is 30 for front and 28 for rear tyres if there is no pilion and it is 30 for both tyres if there is a pillion.

ATGATT

On the downside…this is a noisy scooter at speeds! As the speed picks up, The noise too picks up slowly like a jet engine. It sounds nice to a certain point. After the speed crosses 20kmph the fan just below the seat hinge (and above the motor) switches on. This high frequency fan noise is easily audible to the rider giving a noisy feel, but to people outside the fan noise isn’t heard as much. When I’m beside another vehicle at a signal, people will be left wondering how a switched-off vehicle can take off like that. Seeing that gives a different kind of high But on a serious note, this scooter can embarrass many ICE two wheelers or even some small hatchbacks. Many times, I use the horn a lot more than I use on a normal scooter to be sure that people/other road users hear me. The horn is loud enough for Bengaluru.

When on the move, the screen doesn’t respond to any touches in view of rider’s safety. Initially we could not change the mode during riding and we had to stop and then only change to a different mode. with the latest update, we can change the mode on the fly using the scroll switch on the right handle. It’s a great feature to have. we can be riding in the ride mode and when we have to do a quick overtake, change to sport mode. Also people wearing gloves needn’t stop and remove the gloves to touch and change the mode.

The scooter looks nice at night too. The AOH, pilot lamps makes it look very good. And at the rear, the tail lamps appear really cool.

Angel eyes

From the rear

Notice how bright the display is (this is at the lowest brightness setting). This is really irritating.

Winking

Have not ridden it in the dark too much, but the LED headlamps illuminate well enough. While the low beam illuminates the road pretty good, the high beam is not useful at all-it is aimed too high. Basically the low beam and high beam does not have much of a difference. No beam adjusting option available to the user either.

Low beam

High beam

Also I see that the transparent covering is foggy from inside. It is not moisture but just that it is not very clear. If this improves, probably the light will improve further.

Foggy unclear covering

2 Likes

The Ather App & Community forum

Ather smartphone app

The Ather app is like an extended dashboard of the scooter and an interface to avail various services related to the vehicle. My wife and I have android phones and hence I’ll walk through the android app.
Basically it is divided into 5 screens.
The first screen is called My 450. A big image of the scooter is at the centre of the screen. The current mode of the scooter, the battery percentage and the Range are displayed around it with also the last synced time. When the vehicle is charging, it shows a graphic with the charging point and a green glow flowing along the wire. If there is any problem in charging it shows a volt symbol in red. It also shows the time when the scooter will reach 80% and 100%. However the app doesn’t create/display any notifications of these stages. Although I hate notifications, I would’ve liked to have these notifications. The mode of the scooter cannot be changed from the App.

The second screen is the Maps screen which shows the current location of the scooter and if we zoom out we can see all the public charging points of the Ather grid. The search bar takes us into another screen where we can search for locations and public charging points in separate tabs. After searching we can send the location to the scooter which is directly started on the scooter if it’s on or when it is started the next time. Turning on the incognito mode on the scooter deactivates the location and navigation options

The third screen is the support screen from where we can call the Ather customer care team, call the roadside assistance team and also download a pdf copy of the vehicle manual…neat!

The next screen is alerts screen. I’ve not seen any alerts till now in my 2 weeks and 600+kms of ownership.

The last screen is the Profile screen. The owner’s name and the ODO reading and the vehicle number takes the top portion. The ODO and Vehicle number should have been in the My 450 screen IMO. The bottom portion has two links to two other screens- Manage documents and Settings. In the Manage documents screen, we can put all the documents that will be displayed in the scooter. The image compression for larger A4 documents is just pathetic. With this and no pinch zoom, it is quite useless. However for the DL and RC cards, which are smaller don’t have this issue. It is very useful when a cop asks you for those on the road. In the Settings screen, we can change password, check OTA update, see app version number among others.

Ather app

Ather Community

It’s the age of social media and Ather is using it very well. Apart from the usual Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, the Ather Community is a forum for people, owners and the Ather team members to communicate, discuss about the happenings around the scooter. It is located at https://forum.atherenergy.com/ . The Ather staff is very pro active in answering all questions (except when it came to timelines) posed by people. All announcements regarding the scooter is also posted here. Being a startup, with only one experience centre in Bengaluru, this is a convenient way to reach out to many people. This interaction also gives confidence to the people who have shown interest and trust in a Startup like Ather. Many a times, I used to spend more time on this forum than on TBHP. With sections ranging from battery to build quality to the insurance and buying options, everything is discussed. It is indeed a treasure trove.

There are some really enthusiastic people there. One particular guy has already taken it Nandi hills 4-5 times, once to Tirupathi, once to Dharmasthala and also covered all the Ather grid points in Bangalore. His experiences has helped many of the owners. Honestly speaking, seeing that only I took the vehicle on a 120kms trip more than the full range. Then there are others who are charging their scooter with DYI solar panels. Some have added IOT wifi solution for the Home charging pod

While we are at the topic of social media, one thing that Ather could’ve done better is integration. There is an Ather App, then there is another Ather Grid App, Then the Forum is only available in a browser, Finally the account details (which is basically the order details) are also available only in the browser. It would’ve been so good if all these were in one single phone app. However because they want other EV users also to avail the Ather grid facility, they’ve kept it separate.

1 Like

Vehicle Service

Subscription plans

The scooter service schedule is every 5000kms. Good thing is that there is no “or some xx months, whichever comes earlier” clause The first one will be done at our doorstep and every alternate one will be done at their service centre (with pickup and drop facility). The Ather One subscription plan that is part of my lease plan covers this entirely including labour. Front and Rear wheel bearings, steering bearings, front fork seals, swing arm bushes, brake pads( 2 wheels per year), primary and secondary belts, top up of brake fluid and fork oil all are covered.

Ather subscription plans
There are 3 main parts in the usage and maintenance of this smart scooter:
Data - over the Air updates, diagnostics and navigation
Service - Vehicle maintenance, periodic services and RSA
Power - Public charging

Based on this, Ather has provided four subscription plans for users:
1. Ather One - This is their flagship plan which encompasses all the 3 parts mentioned above. It includes data, periodic scheduled services, RSA and unlimited public charging. It costs 700 per month or 8400 per year. This plan is included for 1 year by default for all people who had pre-booked the scooter till November 2018. It is also part of the lease plan by default for the entire term. Since many people felt that the cost for this is too high, Ather came up with 3 more plans. I took the vehicle on lease and hence I get this by default for the entire lease term of 3 years.
2. Ather Connect - This covers only the data part. It costs 3000 per year or 900 per quarter.
3. Ather Service - This covers the data as well as the periodic services and RSA. This plan costs 6000 per month or 1650 per quarter. If I hadn’t bought the vehicle on lease, I’d have gone for this after the 1st year.
4. Ather Charge - This covers the data and the charging. Users get unlimited data and public charging in this plan. It costs 6000 per month or 1650 per quarter.

Service Experience

OK, the vehicle will be serviced at your doorstep at an interval of 5000Kms. Alternate services will be at their service centres. But what am I writing in the service experience? An unfortunate incident led me to experience Ather’s service. I can’t curse myself enough for this, but My scooter fell on a Saturday due to an idiotic mistake from me.

A friend met me near my home and he rode my scooter. After he rode it and parked it, we chatted for some time and he left. The handle was turned to the right side and because of this, it was looking nice. So, I took some photos in that position. I then went to the scooter from it’s right side and held it by the handle to sit and ride home. Before I even realised, the scooter flew away from my hands and fell down. The motor was still on and without realising that, I had twisted the throttle a bit!
Aargh! I had not checked the engine kill switch. That gut wrenching feeling before you lift the scooter up…words can’t explain that. When the scooter was lifted back, it was a sad sight. Left side panels had scratches all over. It was not a heavy fall but it was tarmac and not grassy ground. So it was limited to scratches but deep ones. The side panels, the side stand and the rear grab rail had scratches! Also, the entire weight of the scooter had fallen on the left brake lever and it was bent!

Sad sight

Body panel

Footboard panel

Floating panel

Side stand

Bent brake lever

Although it was not a big damage and the vehicle was in perfect running condition, I can’t see any of my vehicle with scratches like this. I parked it in the parking lot, called the road side assistance and explained them about the mishap. It was a Saturday evening and hence the pick-up was scheduled for Monday. I was feeling terribly bad but felt a little better when I heard from them that mine was not the first such case. I informed Autovert (the leasing company) too and they told me that after the Estimate from Ather, we can decide the further course of action.

Monday morning, the vehicle was picked up an hour before the scheduled time and it was taken to their service centre. Later in the afternoon, I got an estimate of 4000 for replacement of the damaged parts with new parts (3 LH panels, side stand, LH brake lever and the grab rail) and 500 labour. They also told me that If I decide to get it done by myself, it will take 1 day but if I claim insurance the process may take upto a week as the Insurance is not cashless and the vehicle is on lease

After thinking a bit, I took a call not to go for an Insurance claim for this. This meant that Autovert and GoDigit will not be involved. This was informed to Autovert.

Tuesday Morning, I called up to check the status and I was told that it’ll be delivered by 8PM the same day. The bill was generated and the payment link was sent. Exactly by the time I reached home in the evening, the vehicle reached home too. as good as new.

The replaced parts were returned to me. I plan to fix it on a wall someday and make a caricature around it
I’m also planning to get PPF done for the scooter as there is no all-round guard for the scooter (for aesthetic reasons). That should give some resistance against such small damages touch wood in future.

Lessons learnt (the hard way)

• As much as I love the silent motor, it has chances of such accidents. Of course it was my mistake but to err is human after all.
  • I must make it a habit ASAP to use the engine kill switch whenever I switch off. It is instructed by Ather many times and also mentioned in the user manual.
  • It will be nice to have a side stand warning or some sort of poka yoke to avoid/avert vehicle movement when it is parked.

The whole thing was embarrassing, but from an optimistic point of view, I experienced the RSA and the servicing of Ather. I must say it was impressive. They were pretty fast and good. Hopefully it remains the same even after the number of Athers on road increase. The leasing company Autovert were also following up in parallel at every stage which was nice to see too.

2 Likes

OTA Firmware Updates

OTA updates-Something that we are accustomed to hear in a smartphone but the future of automotive technology will be very similar. Vehicles will be more of smart gadgets than vehicles. Ather is one such gadget/vehicle. Ather has given one update so far and lots has changed in that. The update is indicated on the scooter dashboard and the Ather app. But the downloading should happen on the scooter itself. Although I could easily update, some people had faced issues of downloading the update and installing. If only the scooter had Bluetooth, the update could have been downloaded onto the phone and transferred to the scooter. While downloading can happen anytime and anywhere; when installing the update, the vehicle must be plugged in to the power.

Below are step by step pictures of the Update Installation

An orange dot notifying of the update

Tapping that orange icon takes you to setting menu-see the orange icon again

Pre-conditions

Charger has to be plugged in and sufficient battery percentage should remain. If one of the two conditions are not met, update won’t proceed further

When both conditions are met, turn off key to start update

Install time-03:00hrs or now

The charging pod will show blinking red light

Update installation in progress…don’t turn on key or remove charger

Restarting

When the update is in progress key shouldn’t be turned on or the charger shouldn’t be removed.

Update completed in 2 minutes. Turn on to proceed

Update complete. New version is 1.2.1.413035-prod

New screen - Ride mode (old Eco)

New screen - Sport mode (old normal)

The update brought the following changes to the scooter:
1. Renaming of Modes.
Earlier ECO is now RIDE. Earlier Normal mode is now SPORT
2. Mode change can be done on the fly.
Previously, to change the mode from Normal to Eco or vice versa, the vehicle had to be stopped. Now, the scroll switch can be used to change the mode on the fly from Sport to Ride or Vice Versa. Changing the mode is dependent on Accelerator position and not speed. It should be in zero position.
3. Indicator and reverse buzzer sound changed.
The new one has a different tone and is louder too. I liked the earlier sound to be honest.
4. Alternate route option.
Earlier, the navigation used to suggest only one route. The alternate option can be selected only by touching (no button shortcut for gloves). Reroute after a deviation from the suggested route will have to be accepted by power button. Earlier it was by using the toggle switch. It automatically reroutes if no input is given after some time (shown by a progress bar). The traffic option is still not available.
5. Red glow around the DTE number indicating the amount of energy lost.
This helps in driving more economically. But this can’t be seen if you are in the navigation mode.
6. Probably the biggest change of all - Flat lining of the Range.
Earlier, the range prediction was different for individual scooters. The true range advertised was 75kms in Eco Mode and 60Kms in Normal mode. But based on the riding pattern, the Range/DTE used to vary anywhere between 40Kms to 80Kms. Few riders were even getting upto 120kms. This created major dissatisfaction among users. So Ather came up with this idea of flat lining the range. It means that it will display a range of 65Kms in Ride mode and 55Kms in Sport mode for everyone. This is the median Range of all the Athers on road today. This makes the users plan for only 65kms and achieve that instead of planning for more and getting less. However I’m not convinced with this and still feel that individual range is better. Also in this flat lining they’ve limited the top speed to 85kmph in Sports mode which was 90kmph in Normal mode. In Ride mode they’ve limited this to 65kmph vs 70kmph in Normal mode. However, this fat lining doesn’t mean that the range has actually reduced. In my ride last weekend, I started with 65kms range and after travelling 53kms, I still had 29kms range on the display. So I’m riding 1.5 times more than what is displayed which means that with 65kms, I can ride 90+Kms.

Some of the upcoming changes in future OTA updates that Ather has announced in their forum:

• A Third mode called ECO mode with a range of 75kms and a top speed of 45kmph. This mode is still under homologation.
  • Low brightness setting in the immediate next update-An urgent requirement IMO.
  • Dark more - this will further reduce the blinding issue. This will be given two updates later it seems.
  • Better image compression and pinch zoom for documents.

On 25th March, the Ather smartphone app was updated. The update is mainly in the profile screen. The profile picture of a grinning devil (which was not possible to change) is gone and it is replaced by a nice clipart of the scooter. The ODO meter is also gone from this screen. We can see a new option called “Ride Statistics”

Profile screen

When we go inside this Ride statistics screen, I can see that the ODO meter appears here. On the left we see the predicted range which is now personalised based on our riding pattern. This information is only available in the app and not available on the scooter.

Ride Statistics

Also we get good info about the recent rides - Duration, Distance, start time, Riding mode, efficiency, projected range, top speed and average speed

2 Likes

Other points

• It’s strange but this is the first vehicle that I’ve purchased without looking at alternatives. Okinawa praise looks better on paper in all aspects. But it just doesn’t cut it for me with the overdone designs, the heavy unbalanced weight distribution etc…
  • The insurance document mentions this as a 125cc scooter - Talk about companies not ready for EV
  • The insurance given to us lease customer is from Godigit. It is not cashless so claims take a little longer for approval (5 days).
  • Nitpicking, but when the side stand is removed, it makes a metal-metal sound. There should’ve been some rubber damping IMO.
  • Vehicle care: I was recommended by Ather to avoid the use of power wash for the top half of the vehicle (although the screen is IP65). This is because the power washes around are not standardised. Washing with water or wet cloth is not a problem. For the bottom half, there is no issue with power washes I was told.
  • Vehicle care: The manual specifies that the vehicle must not be parked near Transformers or other high electromagnetic emission devices and hot sun for too long.
  • Whenever there is a screen freeze or some other such issue, a Hard reset can be made by holding both brakes and the power button together for some time
  • No crash guard for the scooter (Because it spoils the aesthetics) even as an accesory. Had it been there, It would’ve saved me the trip to the service centre.
  • We have been hearing “fill it, shut it, forget it” taglines for long. For the first time, something like “buy it, ride it, forget it” has become a reality.
  • The first 10 scooters were delivered on 9/11 in the factory itself. A Special Keychain was also given as memory…a nice gesture indeed.
  • The next city that Ather will enter is Chennai (later part of 2019) and then It’s Hyderabad.
  • The Ather factory is in Whitefield and service is done in Bhannerghatta road. They are looking for a bigger facility now to come up with the extra demand and also to prepare for next cities.
2 Likes

Keychain for my 450

26 Likes

Good one hemanth.

2 Likes

wow laser etched

1 Like

Very good :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Hemanth, where did you get this from?

I personally prefer metal keychains for their weight and mass. You’ll know when it falls out of your pocket or when you carry it along. It just feels a lot more solid.

Any idea if this comes in slightly thicker metal?

3 Likes

Awesome :sparkles:

3 Likes

Looks great :+1:
i was trying to find someone who can do a similar embosing on leather.

1 Like

This is really nice. Mind sharing the source? I may like to get one too.

Thanks upfront.

1 Like

Many people have asked me about where I got my Key chain.
Here’s where I ordered it…Apni Dukaan

Smart Galleria Black Engraved On Steel Personalised Keyring https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07CMV2X2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZLALCbZTB3TE8

Talking about Keys, @Ather.Team, is there a transponder in the key?

3 Likes

Whenever I start the Ather app and go to maps, it shows that the scooter is located somewhere near lalbagh. Only after i tap the crosswire symbol it goes to the actual location of the scooter.

Anyone else experiencing this? @Ather.Team why exactly is this happening?

1 Like

I experience the same. Every time I access the app it initially shows the marker right in the middle of Lalbagh and seconds later its repositions to my actually live location. I think its common across all users

2 Likes

I haven’t seen this issue in my vehicle. Check with Ather team if GPS tracker or something needs to be re-calibrated or reset?

3 Likes

Today morning started with 55kms Range.
rode 22 kms in sports mode charge came down to 74% and Range came to 35kms.
Vehicle was not used for 8 hours
switched to Ride mode and came back home (The same 22kms)
Charge remaining is 48% Range is now 31Kms in Ride.
So it’s quite evident that I’m able to drive more than the displayed range for sure (around 75kms). Waiting for the personalised range prediction to come back!

9 Likes

That’s good to hear.

Can you tell how your daily route will be? Is it more start and stop or very less traffic? How much time your 22 kms route takes for you to reach?

Now your range pridicttion is directly proportional to your charge status. If your range drop from 65 to 32-33 that means battery charge status is 50 %. Your ranhe is 31 km in ride modw so battery charge is (100/65)*31=47.69%. sameway for sports mode you can get (100/55)*range.

So now your range is almst an ondicator of battery charge and number also signify average range achieved by users.