450X: Product/Technical discussions

So many threads… no clue where to post this one… you can move it wherever relevant… why is it taking so much time to release the 4g module price ? It has been more than 3 months

1 Like

Hey @itsn78, I understand that it must be frustrating to wait for updates. The development of the module takes time, along with testing, estimating demand, working with suppliers etc. The last few months have been hard for the team in getting access to the labs and office spaces for testing and development and it’s been delayed. We’ll announce the price soon.

2 Likes

When 450x delivery started in Kolkata?? Don’t ignore the question.

Hey Avijit,

Things have been delayed. Here’s the update we just shared:

Hi , here are few following requested models to ather energy ,

1. Cargo/Delivery Bike, including a foldable back support for rider, like a chair, and having a feature to load luggage( Flipkart ,amzon delivery huge bags in vehicle) in the form of box or support for banding it.so they no need to hang on their shoulder that may cause back pain.

2. Touring Type , especially include a back support for no back pain long ride.If possible foldable back support for both driver and pillion.

3. Bike Type

Hopefully,

Muhsin

3 Likes

Dear Abhishek, how much weight can be put on the footboard in the Ather 450/450x?

Here you go:

3 Likes

Can the same feature be pushed on the ather 450?

1 Like

No, it’s a hardware sensor, so not possible through an OTA.

1 Like

Just a curious question - I have been wondering about the efficiency figures: Ather has the lowest efficiency of 24wh/km whereas Nexon has the lowest efficiency of 120wh/km. If I look at the kerb weight ratio of nexon to ather it’s 14:1 whereas efficiency is 5:1, does that mean ather is not much efficient as compared to nexon or am I missing something very basic?

Or does the difference arise because of the voltages of their respective drivetrains and that would again imply that nexon has an efficient way of sending off the juice to motors due to high voltages?

Pardon me if I am not familiar with the mechanics of the drivertrain / battery / motor - just couldn’t stop thinking about this. :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Boils down to basic form factor difference.

Hard for a two wheeler to have the same Wh/km/kg as a car as a scooter is too short. Aero wise it’s taking the full frontal impact but not enough weight behind it trailing it. Also the aerodynamic design in 2Ws in general (racing bikes are an exception) cannot match that of a car because of the simple fact that a 2W is an open architecture and a car is not.

Also, you the lowest possible Wh/km of an Ather (by customers) has been around 20 Wh/km and you must compare weights with a passenger inside (170 kg vs 1450 kg) making the ratio somewhat better @8.5X (instead of 14X)

In terms of powertrain efficiency - there’s usually no real difference.

19 Likes

This makes so much sense. Just a minor follow up - if / when Ather comes up with a bike, it would be relatively more efficient than 450x because of lower drag / better aerodynamics? Implying we can expect a higher range even if the battery structure is kept identical?

Thanks for clarifying - it’s an Elon moment for me😍.

5 Likes

Another curious question - I was looking how apple watch’s e-sim works and seems like there is nothing fancy, it’s just an operator provided confirmation (“jioconnecteverywhere”) that a single number (along with the data) can be used on iPhone and apple watch.

I was wondering why can’t this be incorporated in 450X since there will be e-sims anyway?

This will solve:

1. The need for wi-fi everyone has been asking for
  2. Requirement of the connect plan - because people will pay for their data / plans anyway
  3. Might have an option to display calls even if the phone is not around and it can be received on bluetooth helmet - wishful thinking?
2 Likes

Mobile data plan is not equivalent to Wi-Fi. It can never be.

Let me put it this way. Ather doesn’t just provide you the data plan for your app sync and maps. It provides you the ride stats, battery percentage, charging notifications etc. which needs to enter via their data pipeline. Just having mobile data will not fetch you all this data. They probably use some cloud services like GCloud, AWS, Azure. So that adds cost.

2 Likes

Ather uses The Google Cloud platform extensively!. A couple of GB of data per user is generated everyday and this needs to be stored so that owners can see their ride stats. The cost entailed for data connectivity, cloud storage, access to Google API and software development are included on the Ather Connect cost.

3 Likes

GBs? :scream: and here I thought that it would just be a couple hundred MBs everyday - maps to be cached, data spent on just querying the maps API and stats sync would be in a much efficient way via some sort of log files (in KBs).

1 Like

Agreed and agreed. It would be great at some point in future for Ather to give a break-up of these “costs” per user. I believe they have enough data now for this analysis.

I was coming from the point the way Tesla charges for its software - one time FSD costs $5000 (optional). All other data costs included. So, what if all these ride stats etc. are upfront, user takes care of the data costs (using the e-sim ) and you have a connected scooter for the life of the scooter.

1 Like

I may have missed this. But does anyone know the range of 450x in warp mode? Was it ever revealed?

The website show “who cares!”. I guess that’ll be a fit answer. Real test drivers could give a real insight, tho.

Does anyone know why there is a difference in battery warranty for 450x on subscription and up-front (80% vs 70% of performance)? I know I know batteries have been tested for 20Mn kms + 15Mn on-road kms and are built to last etc. etc. but just wanted to know the reason for this difference - is it just because those on subscription end up paying relatively higher or something else?

Since calendar ageing is around 20% over 3 years and 2% for every 10k kms as per FAQ - this means that someone on a subscription is more likely to benefit from the battery replacement. Shouldn’t these be at par with someone who pays up-front?

Also, the landing page mentions that those on subscription will get a battery health report every month. Does this hold true for those who buy the scooter upfront as well?

Have the exit options for those on subscription been decided? Couldn’t find it anywhere.

For someone who bought the scooter upfront and gets their battery replaced after the 3 year warranty - will the cost of battery be adjusted by Ather since they will re-purpose the existing battery? Can someone point me to the FAQ (if there is any) mentioning this?

Is state specific EV policy also applicable for payment made (99k) if bought on subscription?

Cc: @abhishek.balaji

5 Likes