Rethinking of regen brake lights a crucial step

True, I have been using regen as the only mode of braking (unless it’s unplanned sudden braking), since I know the vehicle’s limits and braking behavior with regen, and can slow down to near stop on signals/ turns/ onward traffic. Even if someone is driving safely behind you, (s)he won’t know you are slowing down unless the brake lights come up.

5 Likes

To answer your questions regarding this simply without complicating much, That’s how motor braking works as in it can only regenerate at a set pace while decelerating(hence regen effect feels less at higher speeds and more between ~25-45kmph).when you use lever activated regen as in disk+motor braking and as your brakepads clutch the disk there is a far more sudden loss of decelerating angular momentum which means the wheel and the belt pulley connected to it stop suddenly as well hence this recovers far less energy compared to twisting the throttle to a near standstill.

:pray: good you figured out why it is not, cannot and should not be your primary braking mechanism.

And please don’t hold back, if you can explain in greater detail it would be great.

I just explained how it works and why the difference in energy recovered from both methods, it being a primary mode of braking or only supplemental method is altogether a different discussion. And as pointed out it on its own is also a form of braking/slowing down vigorously which warrants an indication to the vehicle behind you.

4 Likes

No.

If you can regen brake, to a stop in the same distance from a given speed as the disc, then you have a bike that’s very different from mine. Good for you.

On my bike it’s a pointless toy feature

2 Likes

That’s correct bike wouldn’t stop at the same distance and there can be no two ways about it. And at no point I have confused it with “no need” for it, it’s necessary for situations requiring sudden braking true but if those are far to frequent for you; you should take your own advice on finessing riding dynamics a bit more. Same as disc on its own will never recover any energy benefits to the battery SoC. Hence when coming to a staggered stop with a sufficient enough distance to stop generally would make the motor braking a far better choice to modulate speed for amble distance till near standstill at a stop point you fix far ahead of you.

1 Like

Hence toy feature of no value

The amount of soc gained after all that natak, faff and risk is nothing

f i wanted to waste my time getting bored tooling around in smart eco or ignore the performance potential i would have saved my money and bought a icube or something i don’t. Regen braking is absolutely pointless if you are using sport or warp mode to get around. I will rephrase what i wrote above, Hence toy feature of no consequence

1 Like

Try using both those modes the same way you use them in the coming monsoon on an oily road without Regen and on only disks and you might find a few new thing’s relative to gravity as well as a crucial toy.

3 Likes

It’s surely helps with maintaining efficiency(being a help to coasting) more than the recovery from regen with 100% SoC to-date is about ~4-5%{tho to throw a bit of shade on Ather I would opine most would be compensatory to idle drain} with maximised regen efforts only through twisting the throttle.

2 Likes

Everyone has their riding dynamics - live and let live. If you are not finding it useful, don’t use it. Other people find it useful and they will use it. No one is using regen in Ather to charge up their battery - that’s not its targeted use. I use regen during normal rides for a planned slowdown (I ride exclusively in warp mode, but don’t ride rashly so I can manage a planned slowdown), and any mode of unnatural slowing down should light up the braking light - that was the topic of this post.

6 Likes

Thanks

That is very comparable to my ride log (i will figure out how to post an image)

The rider profile graph in fact shows me more towards the efficient side.

The predicted range numbers are 66 85 95 105.

For 876 km i got an efficiency of 33 wh/km

And i don’t use regen. Ever.

Not conclusive of course, but enough and sufficient for me.

There’s no easy way to make out gain from regen there is a 4% figure that comes from post made by the community manager and i think a downhill ride somebody did in Khandala

To me the gain if any in a flattish city is not going to be anywhere near that. Too marginal.

Thanks again

1 Like

Exactly. Not sure why he doesn’t understand it.

2 Likes

Every thread that this guy enters, he creates a ruckus and ignites irrelevant arguments. The moderators need to have a look. @abhishek.balaji @moderators

4 Likes

@moderators Requesting someone to please end this topic. The conversation is going way off topic.

1 Like

Something like this will be great.

1 Like

This is a valid topic.

In my opinion also, there is a need to have brake light indication when using the regen. Unlike simply coasting on the road (which is also gradual deceleration), the use of regen decelerates the vehicle relatively rapidly and should be indicated to other vehicles approaching from behind.

A question might come if coasting regen should also have brake light indication or not, to which I do not have a definite answer as of now.

4 Likes

There are regulations stating the amount of deceleration needed to activate brake lights. I suppose it isn’t significant enough to require that in our primitive regen, but in case of Apex they activate the brake lights with magic twist.

3 Likes

But Ultraviolette has Separate Light for Regen, That Blinks from Level 1

1 Like

They could implement variable intensity for rear brake light’s like when it’s decelerating using regen vs manual brakes. Because currently rear vehicles think we are driving slowly when we are using regen.

3 Likes

Yeah exactly, Also It will take sometime to Master the Coasting Regen

Also Giving Red Light blinking will help following traffic some Indication

3 Likes