Buy Vs Lease Vs Loan

Comprehensive. However there is caveat. Read more at ACCIDENTS & INSURANCE section of Autovert at Introducing EV Lease

Mainly, claim is allowed only above Rs 5000/- and above & Only 2 times a year. I find this is reasonable enough.

No, I have not… I will share an excel with you. Probably you may populate and try.

1 Like

Thank you @rajeshkav for the clarity.
Yes, even I think that the insurance provided is fair enough and also it would be very helpful with the shared sheet, will update once i populate…
Thank you very much

1 Like

I posted this sometime ago. But here it is once again (with some corrections)

6 Likes

@gpbhattar thanks a lot for the comparison, this really helps. The only thing I am a little sceptic is about the resale value. with almost 30% degradation of battery, newer and better models from Ather itself and others, I doubt if people would buy it for 63k.
Also, I do not see the owner badge next to your profile. Are you planning lease or full payment or loan ?

1 Like

I have pre-ordered Ather and expected delivery is in September. (hence no badge, at least not yet).

I too am skeptic about the resale value in 2020. Here are few factors to consider for resale

• battery degradation
  • price of new Ather (same model) at the time of resale
  • Newer model from Ather
  • Competition
  • Demand
  • EV component price
    and of course condition of vehicle.

As you rightly said, battery degradation can be a major factor. EVs are just beginning to come to market, by 2020 I reckon all major 2 wheeler players will have at least 1 EV model in their kitty. If/when this happens, the component price (motor, battery) will reduce. Expect price of Ather to drop then.
Also, if Ather launches a newer model, the current model resale price will reduce further.

I think lease is a good option when you consider all these factors.

3 Likes

If I was looking for returns on the investment I made for this bike, I would have rather just put the 1.2x lakhs I paid in an FD or MF and watched it grow.

You are buying a vehicle that IS going to depreciate in value the moment you turn on its ignition key. There are countless variables that may increase or decrease the resale value in 3 yrs, 5 yrs or whatever duration you are looking at.

My 2 cents; buy it, enjoy it, upgrade it, scrap it and restart the process.

8 Likes

haha, @raghav.srinivasan thats also one way to go. But, I am not only trying to see the ROI, I am trying to decide on a stress free owning experience. Leasing would mean,

• I need not worry about the battery degradation(Although, Ather has a good BMS).
  • I need not worry about the latest advancements in the fields
    -> Got to know a company is ready with a motor which provides with double the torque and power and is way more efficient than the current BLDC
    -> Higher density batteries have already come out, which would mean, the same 450’s battery pack with the new batteries would result in more range
  • Many more such things.

I completely get what you are saying, was trying to understand fellow and prospective owners opinions.

Moreover, I haven’t thought of leasing until I stumbled upon this thread today. For me personally, leasing would feel like riding someone else’s bike. But, now feeling like riding someone else’s bike has its own advantages(pun intended!)

2 Likes

I was in the same dilemma of wether to buy or lease. Spent good enough time researching on advancement of technology especially the way EVs are evolving and also the fact that I liked to stay abreast with the latest or a generation old. Also the fact that I felt leasing is a stress free way to own considering the insurance, maintenance of the vehicle. Hence I opted for lease, who knows what shape an Ather can take in next two years :slight_smile: Again, it’s just my perspective

1 Like

When in doubt, lease it!. I had no doubt, so paid it!

There will always be that other product which is better than this one… Always.

I was about to buy the new scorpio but waited, then came the Nexon but heard about harrier and then was about to finalize and then came along the hector. And then comes the Kona!

I give up. Will drive my i10 till it falls apart.

14 Likes

I absolutely have no doubts with Ather. Just like @raghav.srinivasan. It’s like I’ve invested in the company.

2 Likes

That’s, true. If you waited for perfect smartphone 10 years back or waited for most value for money smartphone 5 years back, you would be still waiting…

However, first gen buyers will always regret more for the extra price they paid than later… But that’s part of the early bird offer :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Maybe when Ather Energy goes public, all the first gen buyers get some bonus stocks for supporting the company’s product at an early stage…

Even if it doesn’t happen, I will buy a ton of shares at IPO.

Maybe I can recover my depreciated money in the product…

And who doesn’t want to buy the shares of “India’s Telsa equivalent”.

3 Likes

Hehe, when I imported Moto X (first gen) for 30k, Motorola didn’t give me any stocks… Otherwise I would have been holding some Google stocks now. :wink:

3 Likes

@raghav.srinivasan very relatable. Thanks a ton for your help

Lenovo*

3 Likes

first gen was still with Google… Just before 2nd Gen release Lenovo acquired it…

Exactly. Buying a vehicle is not an investment. However the discussion was around lease vs. loan vs full payment.
Whatever you chose, you get the same bike. Enjoy the ride.

3 Likes

Hey all,

I was looking at the leasing section on Athers website. It doesn’t say if Ather one is included or not. If It’s not included, will I have an option to include that

Ather Service is included for Bangalore pre-orders. You can pay the difference and upgrade to Ather One.

1 Like

Yes, that’s there. But I needed to know if there will be any change in my monthly lease amount