Upgrading your Ather 450 to 4G LTE

For me it appears that entire Ather Team is extremely busy with Series 1, 450X, 450 Plus etc and is slowly forgetting 450. Hope 450 does not meet a pre-mature demise like 340. 450 has a lot of juice in it afterall. How many would really go for an upgrade to 450X etc within a few months of purchase of 450…its not a mobile phone… Ather should come up with a comprehensive plan quickly to address SIM swap and upgrade to 4G.

Vodafone 3g has still not been shutdown. And Ather has announced that after shutdown, for the time that we are on 2G, there will be reduction in subscription charges. So with these two info I’m sure Ather will not swap SIMs till at least 3G is eventually shutdown. As long as Vodafone delays their 3G shutdown it’s better for Ather and even for us. Ather gets time to develop the 4G dongle by then and we can directly go 4G. 3G sim swap is also a temporary fix if you ask me. A swap first and then a 4G dongle later will mean opening up the scooter 2 times at the service centre level. I’d not prefer that TBH.

4 Likes

I am assuming Vodafone has already Shutdown the 3G services after the VI merger. I agree that visiting twice to the service centre would be an inconvenience but I was told that my Ather one subscription will be discounted by 50% if my vehicle is still running on 2G.So hoping for a constructive update from Ather.

Its not the discount that we are all really looking for…but the concern is on quickly moving to ensuring faster connectivity via 4G (as and when Vodafone pulls the plug on 3G) and an official update on the status on the same. This will build the confidence of the customers.

2 Likes

Just sharing the update here again, Vodafone didn’t end up shutting down 3G back in August, and the new date given to us is 31 October. We’ll be starting the process of SIM Swaps soon, and you can expect an email shortly with a link to book the slots.

1 Like

Glad that you are progressing on 4G dongle upgrade.

I don’t know about the cost incurred by Ather here for a 4G dongle. But, to be honest, for a subsidised cost, I find it 2,950 to be expensive.

You are correct about cost about the dongle when you look at vendor locked devices like Jio’s dongle for ₹900-ish. But the actual cost is in the ₹2.5k range and the price is subsidised because the provider will be in gain from customer’s payments.

Now, the dongle being put inside the scooter needs to be of automotive grade which is another point on pricing, compared to the ones that are meant to be used indoors.

Hence this should be 2.5k in balance.

3 Likes

It makes sense. I was thinking of the price we used to hear for a 4G dongle. Would like to hear from Ather though

suppose i go ahead with this sim swap and in future if i had to upgrade to 4g, will there be cost involved?

The same 2500+gst I’m March of 2021 but the price after that, I don’t think they can fix it now.

Got this email from Autovert clarifying about the 4G upgrade. Fair enough.

7 Likes

https://forum.atherenergy.com/t/owner-alerts/1522/30?u=bharath5408

One Doubt ,!?

I will pay AHC fees amt and I will receive AHC report also through and this amt will be discounted while paying 450x full payment time…

But , if I will not satisfied AHC report and final quotation price of 450 . Then I will be keeping my 450 with me or giving myself to any beloved person, at this time the AHC fees amt will be getting discount while clearing full payment of 450x :thinking:

I just took delivery yesterday, does this mean I have model running bsnl 3g? Also what is the possibility to add 4g instead? will this be a module change?

Some of the articles today mentions Vodafone India will cut data services for 2G and only voice calls are allowed. Do we know if this is true and date?

What does the 4G hardware update mean? Does it mean an entire update to the dashboard like in the 450X , a faster touch response?

No only the module which of 3g to LTE will be changed

Existing customers can buy a 4G-dongle and install it in their existing (Ather) 450, and that will upgrade the connectivity to 4G.” Bookings may open soon, and the dongle may be available in a few weeks. It may be priced at Rs 2,500.

Source : Zigwheels.com in-conversation-with-tarun-mehta-athers-insights-and-future-plans-revealed

1 Like

Has anyone received a Mail for the 4G module booking?

1 Like