Updates and new features

how did they manage to put charging for all those flights to update

Ather parking had around 30 charging points went I saw 2 weeks backā€¦

1 Like

Not only outside, but inside too! :smiley:

25 Likes

Loved the second pic a lotā€¦ Feels magical :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Data transmission requirements may not have required 4g speeds, and I am pretty sure that integrating a 4g transceiver would have been more expensive.

my guess too ** cost! **

I really doubt hardware cost had anything to do with it.

I have no idea what lead to the decision to use 3G(Cheaper plans from their telecom provider, lower battery consumption?).
For all we know the hardware might have 4G support but itā€™s disabled for now.

In any case, Ather must revisit their tech and use 4G capable device moving forward. Else the users will unnecessarily have a bad experience on slow and uncertain 3G network.

What are your thoughts on this @Shreyas?

2 Likes

Nope. This was confirmed during the owners meet. The device is not 4g compatible.

Hi Shreyas it has been a long wait for my OTA update, as this is my second instance where my bike is connected to home charging point and my bike is parked outside with good network connection. Is the OTA update dependent on any other factors apart from 3G connectivity?

1 Like

This is amazing :heart_eyes:

Absolutely not. 4g modems have become very cheap now. And efficient too. They donā€™t drain battery like before.

2 Likes

Another thing what I have noticed is, most of the towers in Bangalore have become 4G towers. so if you are having a basic phone with 2G or old 3G, the signal is lower than 4G phones.

Friday night: scooter was on charge via Point. Network strength not great thereā€¦nothing downloaded.
Yesterday afternoon had switched on scooter at another place with good network but without charging for 2 hoursā€¦nothing downloaded.
Today have put it on charge using Cable at another place with good network strengthā€¦hopefully the updates get downloaded today

2 Likes

Wow thanks. Ather should revisit their UI for scrolling ok the dashbaord. One would have never guessed that you need to scroll down without a scroll bar or some indicator that there is more content below

1 Like

So many owners are sharing the same bad experience with network. Ather should address this with priority.

2 Likes

Very true. 3G is dying. 2G will be here for some more time. There is absolutely no reason why they chose 3G over 4G. Iā€™d be happy if they add wifi in the next model. I can download the update in a few seconds rather than waiting to update it over 3G.

2 Likes

For security concerns the Ather 450 doesnā€™t have a WiFi or Bluetooth module inbuilt as itā€™s a safety threat, as many of the super hackers would be easily able to break through the toughest firewall and hack into the scooter and worst case could also hijack it or take control over its functioning!
Iā€™m quite happy that it does not have those but yes it should have had a 4G enabled sim inbuilt instead of a 3G setup for better data transfer speeds and easy accessibility at all areas in and around Bangalore at least!
RGT

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry I didnā€™t get you. If ather had wifi, I wouldnā€™t connect it to any other wifi other than my house. I use vpn BTW. :smiley: Iā€™m sure itā€™s safe to an extent. Coming to the cost, Wifi modems are actually cheaper than 3G/4G modems. They should have actually included it.

1 Like

Reply from Tarun Mehta -

8 Likes

MG Hector (upcoming connected car) has an embedded 4G sim. Apparently itā€™s 5G capable.

FYI Iā€™m not comparing ather and MG. Just quoting the facts.