Unveiling the all new Ather 450X Gen 3

It is probably because Gen 3 needs less cooling compared to Gen 2 because of more cells in Gen 3, it manages heat more than Gen 2 cells. That is it. Personally, I don’t think they have changed the fan, only the rpm of it is lower than Gen 2.

2 Likes

Battery active cooling was never available right from 450, They depend on the force of air coming from the front. but motor cooling was being done by a fan underneath the seat. I wonder how more cells will improve the 5-year-old model of this motor. Maybe it’s a redesigned fan like those in computers with even high RPM that produce less sound, or they changed it to a PWM fan.

2 Likes

More cells = more energy = more heat.

That said, Ather has a well designed case and monitoring systems to manage thermals

3 Likes

Not always…

When there are more cells :

1] During charging, there is less charge goin in per cell per unit time, hence less heat.

2] Likewise, during riding, when there are more cells, there is less charge going out per cell per unit time, hence less heat.

Even few mobile phone these days have 2 physical battery instead of 1 for the same reason.

3 Likes

@abhishek.balaji Gen.3 scooters still have identical weight and dimensions as Gen.2 so how come battery pack is not compatible with Gen 2. ?

1 Like

It’s not identical dimensions from what was told. They have slightly modified the chassis to fit the bigger batter. The newer model is also heavier because of the bigger battery.

From the FAQ:

8 Likes

Not sure of the dimensions of Gen 2, as it was not stated in the Gen 2 specification sheet, but since the Gen 3 has upgraded the battery from 2.9 kWh to 3.7 kWh, the weight has gone up from 108 Kg to 111.6 Kg i.e 3.6 Kg.

PS. : Weights are mentioned in Gen 2 as well as Gen 3 Specification Sheet.

Hope this helps.

8 Likes

Gen 3 is longer and wider by a few mm, to accommodate the larger battery pack.

This is the reason why Gen 2 cannot support the Gen3 battery pack.

6 Likes

If they have stopped making gen 2 batteries, I wonder there will be no replacement of batteries would be possible in near future, say in 5-6 years when batteries started degrading we will either have to throw away our gen 2 or use it solely for near by short distance visits.

3 Likes

I don’t think replacing batteries would be a problem in the coming years.

7 Likes

How would they do it?

5 Likes

I don’t know really but I think they must be having spare batteries or some other plan for this.

3 Likes

Spares and manufacturing are two different things. Spares should be made available so it won’t be a issue.

3 Likes

450x owners thinking what will happen to their scooter after 5 years when they need a new battery pack. Meanwhile 450 1st gen owner in the corner thinking how to get a 450x’s battery pack so that they can upgrade. We live in a small small world.

10 Likes

The following is to the best of my understanding : - (Kindly correct me if I’m wrong)

1. Batteries/Cells (21700 cell) & “Battery Pack” read as “Battery casing” are 2 different things.

2. You can’t manufacture and keep the batteries for long, let alone manufacturing battery packs and stocking it.

3. Even if the battery pack for the G3 is different, it shouldn’t be a problem as the Batteries/cells (21700 cell) can always be changed inside the battery pack.

4. The question should be, “Would 21700 still be the norm 5 yrs down the line?”

3 Likes

I doubt they would keep spares. Even if they do, it will only be a small quantity. My assumption (and probably of several others on the forum) was that Ather will keep the size of the battery pack the same and only upgrade the cells in the package with the most efficient cells of the time. This way, you can put the newer battery pack inside an older generation vehicle and immediately have a big improvement in range.

But now that Ather is actually changing the size of battery packs within models, they will not have many (if any) of the older battery packs in 2-4 years, which is when a lot of 450X buyers might be looking for a battery upgrade.

This would affect the perceived usefulness of the vehicle. Hope Ather is mindful of that.

11 Likes

up to gen 2, all packs have the same case physical dimension, the problem is that Ather is not acknowledging, what will happens to all the previous lacs of customers who might need a Battery pack in say 5 years. They will release a Newer model then and say we have changed the Pack size and it’s not compatible with gen 3 or gen 4. So it’s like “use and throw” Chinese toys?

I heard from a Fellow user that Ather will provide a gen 2 pack to the users of all gen 1, gen 1.5 and gen 2, right now they have stopped manufacturing the Gen 2 pack because of the launch of gen 3. In future how will they provide a pack? if it’s not even in production, But if they are willing to stop an entire production line just for a few customers that need an older gen pack, kudos to the future planning.

3 Likes

Highly doubt they will use the assembly line for building Gen 2 batteries for the few customers.

It will probably be built at the lab using spare battery cases.

5 Likes

As far as my understanding goes increase in any battery pack will also need to have changed in the bms and the dashboard and the process of it considering that all technicians at service centers outside athers headquarters have only been trained once so according to me Ather hasn’t figured it out yet the logistics etc that’s one reason that Ather isn’t giving an upgrade and any change in the old model should also be approved by arai and the fame subsidy which is I don’t think Ather will spend so much time and manpower on one battery upgrade

3 Likes

Chances are very thin for any upgrades for gen 2. but Gen 2 is a great scooter and I surely think it will last more than 30k 40k kms provided we use vehicle with care. Thereafter we will see what can be done till then enjoy the rides … :slight_smile:

3 Likes