Translucent body panels

Finally the panels have been installed! Didn’t need to take any tension while i was at work, could monitor conveniently. The old panels have been given back to me.

Things I observed -

1. The installation is different from the normal panels I felt, cause the LH and RH faring is first installed with the translucent panels, and then the entire panel is installed as one LONG part.
  2. Installation involves rearranging wiring and putting new tags to hold them in place
  3. Installation took 1.5 hours. Almost the whole scooter needs to be disassembled and then reassembled again. So takes time.
  4. Mine was the 4th vehicle in bangalore to be fitted these panels, as told by the SE. So no wonder there still aren’t pics on the forum.
  5. The boot rubber cubby holes have a whitish fading, which doesn’t look exactly great. Needs to be cleaned once again, which i will do.

All in all, pics to come tomo in sunlight! Happy to finally have the scooter complete.

Edit: adding a few pics below of JUST the box for now haha!

When your panels come on another ather :

And the old panels go into storage with the other parts I’ve changed :

6 Likes

Off topic, But did they give you a bouquet? :smiley:

2 Likes

Thats his helmet :thinking:

3 Likes

Too colourful confused me. Especially the red part looked like roses. My bad :joy:

2 Likes

My scooter translucent panels got installed a day before. It was door pickup and came back with nicely packed extra panel.

3 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Upgrading your Ather 450 to 4G LTE

Got mine installed toda…

5 Likes

I tried some customisation( look inside !) , you can install panel by yourself, but it does need some patience and basic tools.!

6 Likes

I’d like to know @abhishek.balaji an approximate date for the translucent panels to get installed on my ather… I have asked many times, but,haven’t got any replies at all

The panels are super reflective, made me lose my mind, from what angle should I click some pics for y’all! :rofl: All in all… I think my excitement fizzed out a little, since I’m really unable to click a good pic. The promo pics do the best justice :sweat_smile:🤌🏼

1 Like

Hey Aneesh @Cloudgraphy.

Just to confirm with you as you got your panels changed. Are the cables rerouted.

I got my panels changed today but no re routing done. And I can litterally see all the cable leads like Red Blue. And also lot of messy electric tapes very clearly. I alsready raised a ticket for this and they will pick the vehicle back on thursday where in I already scheduled my general service slot.

I wanted to know because even after that they say no it is done and it looks the same then it 2ill be very odd to see (This is on the left side of the vehicle, right side is good). When I saw display vehicle I saw only one black cable that too very neatly dressed but this is a whole lot mess they literally removed the old panel and fixed the new panle that is it.

1 Like

Just got my panels replaced today! and I think my cable’s are rerouted just for your reference I’ll upload few photos

5 Likes

The person who serviced at my end, cut some zip-tied wires, and did reroute them. Lemme check once again tomo, and get back to you. Will share pics with flash!

1 Like

If you notice, the whitish nature of the cubby holes is seen through the panels. That’s what turned me off! :frowning:

You can remove the cubby holes and dress them in some kind of a multipurpose polish. It will make them look much better !

1 Like

What about the green crayon marks and the bolt heads? LOL. And all the eyesores were conveniently papered over when they put those Photochopped image out.

Haha the green crayon marks, agreed. The bolt heads, I was prepared for, since I had seen this in the showroom long time ago when the S1 was on display!

LOL. I’m referring to this officially circulated picture.

Clever sleight of hand, but immediately destroyed by reality.

3 Likes

So I just received my set of translucent panels (attn. @mai.khan), and they did not disappoint in the slightest. They are every bit as flimsy and pointless as I thought and was told the would be, and then some

1. The material is extremely soft, and will pick up scratches if one so much as looks at them funny. Hell, they are full of massive swirl marks straight out of the box. Without PPF on top, I’d be surprised it they maintained their appearance for more than a month - a week given my usage patterns. This material looks and feels very similar to a helmet visor, and will be as durable as one.

2. Next up, the hilarious attempts at tidying up the innards. The SOP is to wrap the hell out of all white connectors using insulation tape. I pity the person who needs to connect a scanner to one of these scooters the next time around. Besides this mummification, nothing else. The harness and seat release cable continue to dangle as they were. A far cry from the anorexic promo pictures that were exuberantly spread everywhere and enthusiastically lapped up by the fangirls.

3. Here comes the kicker. Assuming you somehow keep this chintzy crap safe from vandals and elements on the outside, no amount of care in the world will protect them from getting dusty and stained from the inside. That cavity is not sealed and is directly open to all the dirt and water that the motor, belt and wheel will fling around, and coat the insides of these panels in a nice layer of crud. Here’s how my stock panels looked after 1500 km of usage. Their opacity is their saving grace. A few rainy rides with these translucent panels on, and they will look absolutely hilarious.

Now before some apologists here (you know who you are) decide to attack me and ask me why I collected these panels if I hate them so much, here are some preemptive answers:

A. Because my purchase entitles me to them.

B. To see for myself how horrible the implementation would be.

C. Because a fellow member who doesn’t have a S1 wanted to have them. He’s going to have a fun time maintaining them.

Also, now that I’ve seen the procedure in person:

Umm no. This is the standard installation procedure for any side panel on this vehicle, translucent or otherwise.

None of it matters because that stuff cannot be concealed. The technician here didn’t bother with any of that. He was instructed to simply wrap insulation tape around connector shells that stood out.

1.5 hours is a gross exaggeration. Total time it took for the guy here to remove everything necessary, install a single panel, me to take pictures, and then replace all the old panels was barely over 30 minutes.

Those are your stock panels wrapped and stowed in the same box that the new panels came in. I find it amusing that you had to specially mention what is otherwise an act of basic common sense.

Ather outdid itself this time when it comes to wasting VC money. Good job @tarun

Hence I mentioned, “felt”. Lemme show you a CCTV pic, of what I’m talking about.

From what I saw, the side faring (near the rider’s ankle) was fixed to the translucent pannel first, followed by fixing the entire thing as one. I think the word “felt” is sufficient to not trigger you.

Just have a look at the time stamps. From removing the cover, to finally installing back the cubby holes, its clearly 1 hr 15 mins. Another 5-6 mins with paperwork, him clicking pictures of the work done, and feedback.

I think I rest my case here. Because no point of arguing over people sharing what they went through individually, during the installation process? Fair ?

5 Likes