Tips on how to get good range from your Ather 450X

I beg to differ with your finding in a small way. modes are nothing but electronically limited top speed + torque. I ride on ECO mode and torque is sluggish like i’m driving bajaj sunny. RIDE mode is normal, where as SPORTS mode gives you full potential of your 5.4KW motor with maximum controllable torque by motor controller (just not to burn/overheat it). “IF” we are driving in green(not red) halo, we will get more range for sure because it will be sedative driving. Modes do have control over your current consumption … but not in a way you explained (max. speed in particular mode). what abhishek explained is correct. I just want to say Range depends on how you ride and not on modes. + pillion + tyre pressure + misc. small params. I’m sorry if i sound harsh, this is purely my understanding. correct me if i’m wrong. :slight_smile: :peace_symbol:

5 Likes

I have explained based on my understanding and it works exactly like that for me. You can try riding at 50kmph in different modes and see the battery utilization. It should be as I have explained (explanation on max speed in particular mode). Let us know what you find. :v:

4 Likes

This thread has such valuable insights into ride modes and efficiency. I tried it out in Warp mode and was pretty impressed with the ride efficiency being 29Wh/km. Thanks @saranyam.13891 and @abhishek.balaji

5 Likes

That’s great! Keep up the good riding style and you can get this range with almost every ride. Happy to help, happy flight :v:

That’s great to hear, your bike’s range is increasing day by day :v: I hope you got the hang of your riding style now.

4 Likes

Today I tried the suggestion a per @saranyam.13891. Got good efficiency figures.

Kept the speed @60 in warp mode.

Need to try at higher speeds also

1 Like

Hire people like @saranyam.13891 for weekend EV tips session in all Ather EC, inviting General Public and interested owners which will make people to show interest in Ather or in general to EV world overcoming their range anxiety!

6 Likes

Open invitation to @saranyam.13891 as a speaker in the next Bengaluru Owners meet!.

9 Likes

Oh wow! Definitely did not expect this! :v: Thank you :blush:

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: 450X: Discussions on battery

In auto world, I think only Tesla does their own batteries.

5 Likes

I have heard in Ather 450x launch if I am right. They are importing only the lithium cells. The battery pack is fully designed by them.

4 Likes

7 Likes

I see the red halo in my 450X irrespective of how slowly I raise the speed or am at low speeds. It just goes off at 0. Checked tyre pressure and it’s all fine. The best efficiency I’m able to achieve is in the range of 28-30 Wh/km. Trying to follow all tips mentioned by @saranyam.13891 , but just can’t go below this. Anything that I might be missing on?

4 Likes

28 to 30 is decent. You will achieve the indicated range and more. I average between 30 and 33 and easily manage above TrueRange.

5 Likes

How is that possible? Logically. Since the modes only do 2 things.

1. Alter throttle response
  2. Limit the top speed

So riding at 50Km/Hr at full throttle in eco mode should consume exactly the same as riding 50Km/hr in Sports/Warp mode. Because essentially what you’re doing is limiting your throttle input which, if you were in ECO mode the scooter would do it itself. The only way that I think you’ve noticed this, is because in sports mode sometimes you can very slowly accelerate up to say 60Kmph with a marginal increase in consumption just before a fly over or an incline and you can continue cruising at 45-50Kmph, resulting lower consumption than just cruising at full throttle in eco mode. But on a flat surface. Im really unable to understand how you can get different ranges by cruising at the speed but in diff modes.

5 Likes

This would matter. Say you are cruising and hit traffic, slow down. Once you clear that block you want to accelerate to cruising speed. Assuming you are at 20kmph and upshift to 50kmph - power draw would not be equitable across all 3 modes. Ideally an experienced rider would be able to control power delivery irrespective of the driving mode, but how many of us care or have the patience to do that? - i definitely dont! :slight_smile:

Imagine doing this ever so often in the wonderful roads of Bengaluru, courtesy BESCOM, BWSSB, BBMP etc.

I am still a firm believer that if you dont intend to max out your range in one commute (to-fro 50 to 60kms per day), you should not worry about range!

14 Likes

Well ya, I understand that you can get much better range in sports mode and being conservative with the throttle as opposed to pinning the throttle in Eco mode.

Agreed. But what @saranyam.13891 is saying, is cruising at 50Kmph in Eco mode vs Sports mode, you’d get more range if you were in sports mode :confused: how is that possible.

Even this I don’t think you need to worry about if you’re going to cruising most of your commute.

4 Likes

That’s fine, I averaged at 30 Wh/km for about 700KMs, I got this from my Trip B on the scooter. Yet I get 100KMs range in sports mode.

It’s a simple fact that you are at max throttle in Eco mode and not in Sports mode at 50kmph. Trying to use max throttle definitely uses up more battery. This is what I have observed.

3 Likes

Absolutely. But max throttle in eco doesn’t translate to the motor actually consuming that much power. Full throttle in eco to maintain 50kmph must consume the same power as partial throttle in sports mode.

4 Likes

Not exactly basically we are limiting the speed artificially in diff modes so when you try to max the speed in eco mode there will be a max resistance to limit the speed hence more power is utilised.

This is my understanding.

The power usage increases but does not translate to speed as we are opposing it to generate speed so it will be converted to some other form.

5 Likes