Tips on how to get good range from your Ather 450X

Due to difference in initial acceleration… eco require more throttling compared to sport so the predicted range will differ

4 Likes

This is the efficiency I am getting in sports mode. Distance covered around 25km, with in between usage of warp mode too. I am pretty happy with the performance I am getting.

2 Likes

Is it true ather only uses 80 or 85 percent of it’s true capacity, so even if you charge it to 100 percent you’e not really charging the actual battery pack to 100 percent, it will just be 100 percent of capacity that they allow.

1 Like

The 19th post of this topic has the answer for your question.

Yes, Ather doesn’t use the full battery capacity of 2.9 kWh in the 450X. The usable capacity is 2.6kWh which is ~90%. There is a ~5% buffer on either ends. This is done to keep the battery healthy.

1 Like

Are you sure about this 5% buffer on both sides?

2 Likes

Yes, I’m sure…100% (no buffer in this :slight_smile:).

• In 450 it was around 6% at both ends. Installed battery capacity is 2.71kWh and usable capacity is 2.4kWh
  • In 450x it is around 5% at both ends. Installed battery capacity is 2.9kWh and usable capacity is 2.61kWh
  • In 450+ it is around 9% at both ends. Installed battery capacity is 2.9kWh and usable capacity is 2.4kWh

Below are couple of posts for your double confirmation :smiley:

3 Likes

I think you got the battery capacity or 450+ wrong,it’s 2.23kwh not 2.4kwh. I hate this double confirmation trolling as your 1st post (450+ battery capacity) is itself wrong. Also Abhishek @abhishek.balaji has got the capacity of 450+ wrong here by mistake.

4 Likes

I went purely by the details in the announcement. The spec sheet says 2.23kWh. Thanks for pointing out the mismatch.

The intention was not to troll you. Sorry if my post in a lighter vein came through as that. :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

Well I have checked with Ather team on frequent shutdown. I found that they had issues in past with 450 model, however in 450x they have fixed the issue. Recommendation is that if you shutdown while the charge is above 60% it may go to safe mode. Which inturn requires you to take the vehicle to service center for wake up/start it. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

The 60% caution is only for a limited set of 450 vehicles. It does not apply to the 450x

1 Like

I spoke with the service engineer today, this is what he recommended.

3 Likes

My 450X getting low range 68 to 72 km per charge in both eco and ride mode…odo meter reading is 220 km…how some owners are getting 100 km per charge.??

4 Likes

It depends on the acceleration, braking, pay load, terrain, tyre pressure and many more. What’s the efficiency figures on the dashboard? If you can maintain it around 20-25kmph you can get far better range.

This how to do it:

• Maintain optimum tyre pressure
  • Be gentle on the throttle
  • Don’t do unnecessary braking and if you think you have to slow down near a speed breaker, just leave the the throttle or twist it backwards
  • Try to reduce the red hallow on the dashboard

Just try to follow these tips and let me know if there is an improvement. If your area is a hilly terrain it’s difficult to get 100+ range figures or if you are driving with a pillion.

2 Likes

It requires more patiance to get good range…now it reduces from 35wh/km to 29wh/km…

I ride at 50 kmph (as per dash) in Sports mode with just a pinch to acceleration. Range at that speed and Sports mode is 110-115 kms. At around 55-60kmph I am getting 100-105 kms range on my scooter. Though I dont let it go below 10%.

Only suggestion from my side is Don’t ride it like a Petrol scooter, ride it like Electric.

Dont twist the throttle more than 5-10% with easy acceleration during pickup from 0.

Thanks to @saranyam.13891 for her detailed explanation, I change my riding style without compromising much. I do touch 70-80 in-between during the rides shown above.

8 Likes

Just saying, ather should make a small module on how to ride efficiently for new owners. With videos and all. It would definitely help. #AtherSchool

14 Likes

well i have a doubt in this. Even if we keep the efficiency as low as possible. If the maximum battery charge that i can drain should not exceed 80%( i.e with a balance of 20%) , there is definitely a loss in range for the 20% right. or you were able to get 100kms plus range by just riding and utilising 80% of the charge? I was told by the showroom personnel to not drain it beyond 20%.

2 Likes

I drain my battery completely before charging. I am getting a range of 100-105 approximately in Sports before i charge. I am charging my battery usually when i hit 1%.

I agree one should not let it go below 20% but I like to utilise complete charge. Consider this as my habit as I do this with all my gadgets also.

Understood sir. But below 15% it automatically shifts to eco mode. Then your ride with a battery below 15% will all be calculated under eco mode right?

1 Like

Unless you travel distances that require you to utilize 100% capacity, it’s generally not a good idea to drain any lithium ion battery to 0% or extremely low charge levels very frequently.

Technically though, because of the upper and lower buffers, you are still at 5% real SoC when the dashboard shows 0%.

1 Like