Service manual for 450 and 450x

The vehicle user manual (or the Quick start guide) which is available on the app (which was also given during the vehicle delivery for sometime) gets redundant with frequent updates especially the firmware updates. Of course the one on the app can be updated as and when things change. But we request Ather to provide an user level service manual for the scooter which includes all of (but not limited to) the following:

• Troubleshooting guide.
  • Mechanical things of the vehicle.
  • Minor adjustment instructions.
3 Likes

@abhishek.balaji Could you guys work on this video a bit more ?

The mirror moves in 3 axes and a friend of mine got his Ather recently and he’s a bit lost and I was searching for the video I had watched a long time ago. And the athers own video doesn’t show us how to set the mirrors right. Also if anyone has a video of setting the mirror in all 3 axes. Do share. Edit : found it

8 Likes

I was visiting Delivery pop up at IBC today to collect HSRP and noticed that the quick start guide for 450X is out! Demanded a copy for myself and took one!

I couldn’t get to go through it completely as I was on tight schedule to cover about 4 govt offices on my activa over 205+ kms I rode today on pretext of collecting HSRP!

Will post more details when I get a chance to go through it!

10 Likes

I received this too with my vehicle delivery on 23/12/2020 (Series 1)… I assumed its given to everyone ! Another memorabilia to add to my collection. :smile:

4 Likes

Any ideas as how to get this for those who didn’t receive it during their delivery ?

2 Likes

But few of us who got delivery until early December didn’t get this!

2 Likes

You can pick them up from the Experience Center in Bengaluru. We’ll make them available for all owners, more details on this soon.

3 Likes

None of the Mumbai buyers have received this I guess. Any provisions being made in this regard @abhishek.balaji

3 Likes

I believe none of Chennai folks also have received

3 Likes

No. Even I didn’t receive ( from Chennai)…

1 Like

Does Ather have a manual for the display features?

2 Likes

@abhishek.balaji , I guess the above thread is related to Owner’s manual or Quickstart guide. Does Ather by any chance have in its radar to publish a service manual, that can help the DIY members to get their bike serviced/repaired by themselves if needed. The success of the product also lies on it maintainability. As a community we all love and enjoy Ather to the core, we would still like to enjoy more and have the satisfaction of fixing stuffs ourself

4 Likes

My 2 cents here: I think Ather will sooner or later have to publish a user manual with instructions on quick fixes / repairs for the DIY crowd. The “Right to Repair” movement is taking the world by storm, and in many countries laws are being passed that make it illegal for companies to continue pushing for a closed ecosystem for repairs, that disallows owners from getting their hands dirty with their gadgets.

It is only a matter of time before OEMs here will be asked to provide necessary guidance and support for anyone who wishes to open up the product, and not necessarily ask them to “bring it into the service centre” every time!

P.S.: Interestingly, there is a dedicated sub-movement evolving in EU within the RoR framework specifically targeting OEM’s reluctance to allow anyone touching the batteries of e-bikes. So it’s not long before someone realizes companies like Ather do not make it easy for users to troubleshoot hardware issues with the e-scooter :wink:

For those interested, you can read more about the movement here:

5 Likes

Interesting, But how will the service manual help the owners? The most problems are the maps and dashboard or the motor when even the service technicians take 5 services to solve the problem.

1 Like

Hahaha true! But I’m thinking they should at least have some manual (or an online Wiki) provided to buyers that covers basics like addressing squeaky brakes or noisy chains (cleaning brakes and chain with a strong water current), weird noises in new scooters (close your ears and ride until 1K km), dashboard acting up (Ctrl+Alt+Delete is your friend), etc. That would seriously take care of around 50% of the queries you see on the Forum.

Technically, this won’t count as a “Service Manual” and surely not at the level of DIY that is expected to be allowed under R2R, but this is a start! The thing is, at some point Ather will have to give enough support for owners to take care of minor niggles at home. The current “contact us for any and all servicing” philosophy can’t scale when there are thousands of Athers on the road and the queue for servicing runs into weeks…

1 Like

And the conversation has now reached the shores of India, as expected…

5 Likes

+1 please release the actual service manual. Would be great for people who like to DIY simple service tasks.

1 Like

Yes. Please release a proper service manual. Heck, there isn’t even a comprehensive user manual for the Ather. Anyways the service centres aren’t able to keep up with the demand, at least in Mumbai.

2 Likes

+2. Quick start guide available from the Ather app says to download full manual from website but there isn’t any on the website. Atleast I couldn’t find one :pensive:

Right to Repair is officially here, and the government is looking to onboard as many vehicle manufacturers as possible. If Ather gets onboard, it will have to entertain 3rd party repairs and not void warranty for it anymore. Moreover, it will have to make instruction manuals available for users as needed. I doubt if Ather can avoid the inevitable for long - one EV manufacturer joins in and it will be a virtue signaling competition.

More info:

Official website: https://righttorepairindia.gov.in/

4 Likes