Seat Modification

Hello All!

As you all probabaly know, the Ather’s seat is pretty terrible in terms of back support. Well, atleast for me it was. I can’t blame the company though as this is the same woth most manufacturers. Anyway, I decided to finally get the seat redone. I went to this store called Rao Seat Covers (in Bangalore, got to know about it from this video: Yamaha AEROX SEAT Modified for Long Touring - YouTube). I’ll drop the address below. The inspiration for the seat was the old honda goldwing. A slightly scooped out seat with some amount of back support. I obviously wouldn’t be able to completely replicate that on the Ather but I figured we could try to do the same to best of our ability.

GOldwing

Honda Goldwing Seat (Inspiration)

Seat original

Ather’s Original Seat

Rao Seat Covers Bangalore

This was the original seat foam that the scooter had. The curvature in the front was putting a lot of pressure on my back which in turn was causing pain, so I wanted to get rid of that.

The salespeople are vey patient and keep asking for suggestions throughout the modification process. They custom shape the seat and add or remove foam based on your requirements.

Once the design is final, they ask you if you’d like to wrap it with foam (yellow) or with gel. Gel is much more expensive however. I opted for foam as it was fairly soft.

After this, you havea variety of custom made covers, fabrics and stitching to choose from. I went for this cross stitched pattern . Overall quality is excellent. The full process took around 2 hours and cost me Rs 2500. Although not perfect, the seat comfort has drastically improved over the stock seat due to the thicker foam. Definitely would recommend.

Cheers!

27 Likes

Hi Bro, Can i have this exact sit made up? Or I have to give my existing seat to them?

1 Like

Looks great. How is it in terms of not letting you keep sliding forward all the time when you apply breaks? This is my main annoying thing about the stock seat.

9 Likes

They can do both. I got it done over the existing seat

5 Likes

Much better, They added extra foam towards the front to prevent the same

5 Likes

Hello mr. Kevin. How’s the seat now? I get lower back pain if I do long stretches on my bike. I hope the seat mod works ergonomically.

1 Like

Hi, I sold my scooter as I moved out of the state. The modification worked fine for slightly longer stretches but anything over 15kms and you will probably start to feel the pain again. I suppose all scooters in general aren’t very comfortable

3 Likes

Hi sir. May I know what price you sold your Ather for?

4 Likes

If Ather provides a flat seat like OLA it will be more comfortable in long rides, the present seating is not comfortable if the drive is more that 30 to 45 mins. In city traffic even a small distance of 20 kms will take 1hr time, so need a change in the seating design, for more comfort in driving. The present design is having sporty look but if a flat seat is provided I will be the first to apply to my vehicle.

3 Likes

The latest seat is very comfortable,but a little curvy though…Still perfect for long rides :100:

1 Like

I’m also got a spinal pain from long rides and bumpy roads. Need to change seating comfort.

3 Likes

Is your Ather 3.1? If yes, the new seats are way better than before. If you are still facing issues, you can get it padded at a local shop

Sorry I have to comment as the relevant emoji is not available to react :dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face:

1 Like

i saw this (or something similar) in Delhi, near the Okhla area😬

1 Like

this from Hyderabad

1 Like

7 Likes

I was finding the old seat very uncomfortable. Paying 3200 for a new seat was just not worth it. Visited 3 seat cushion guys yesterday. First guy declined as he was busy, 2nd guy agreed but the guy who does the stitching had not come to work, 3rd guy was ready but he had some shiny rexine which was looking cheap. Today went to the 2nd guy, showed him photos of the new seat and told him where exactly and how much foam to add. Also showed him a photo of a seat with contrast piping and stitching and asked him to replicate the same. Job took 2 hours and cost Rs.650/-. Quite satisfied with the outcome.

6 Likes

Another member of the Ather Owners Goa Group got a similar seat done.

4 Likes