Savings you have with your EV

Which insurer is providing 1st party insurance for 5 years at a time. My estimates are based on insurance mentioned on Ather website for 450 which costs 5,778 for 1 year own damage & nill dip and 5 year third party insurance.

Another estimate is from Bike Dekho website for RE Classic 350 which has ex-showroom price of Rs 1.6 lakh (same as 450x) and insurance estimation is Rs ~9000.

1 Like

Plans from Acko

3 Likes

Well I paid a little under 9k for 5+5😅

1 Like

Which insurance company is this from?

1 Like

Digit Insurance provided 1y (own damage) + 5y (TPL) for ₹5.5k

Who is the insurance provider…?

Have you seen the new Aprillia 150 series prices? They are upwards of 1.3lakhs. Going above 1.6lakhs also. And the 450X Has better performance than those too. Better features and handles better too.

Only thing missing is ABS. Which imo you don’t really need considering the amazing weight balance and breaks. But still would have been nice to have. @tarun maybe something you guys can bring in with a 450X refresh 2 years down the lane next to your budget scooter.

So comparing those 2 there is no surge upfront cost. We all thought EVs will get cheaper but now, ICE have gotten expensive enough to justify the upfront cost of an EV🤦

6 Likes

As I mentioned at the end of my post, I don’t think Ather is looking to be a niche player like Piaggio in a huge 2 wheeler market. Piaggio sells around 5,000 vehicles (all Vespas and aprilias combined) per month and has market share of less than 0.5%.

If Ather really wanted to be a premium 2 wheeler company, they should have started with motorcycle instead of scooter. Volume of premium motorcycles (Rs 1.5 lakhs +) is much higher than premium scooters.

Coming few months will be interesting as they reveal if there’s a market for premium electric scooters. Based on initial numbers, it’s definitely not the case.

2 Likes

No they’re not. But it’s where they want to start off at so that they can still handle the expansion. Motorcycles come with the notion that they can be used for long intercity rides. EVS haven’t yet gotten there. And scooters are more in line with where EVs stand today. Urban intracity mobility.

4 Likes

Your point on ABS is not convincing ABS is far better breaking system than combi-breaking . My personal experience it saves me .

7 Likes

Very true. Compared to Aprilia and Vespa, Ather looks like huge value. Would be interesting to see the pricing of Burgman EV next.

Oh no argument there. It is far safer. Yes. But I’ve never been in a situation that I felt the need of an ABS. The weight balance barely allows for the front to lock up.

But isn’t a reason for ABS to not be there.

3 Likes

But roads are filled with idiots. Sometimes they jump on roads.

3 Likes

The Oriental Insurance Company

Contact of the agent who helped me out: Name:Hemanth(Insurance) Mobile:+91 98456 94752

1 Like

5+5? You mean 10 years insurance for 9k?

“5+5” means 5 years of Own damage coverage + 5 years of Third party damage coverage

3 Likes

Like the concept by, Shreejith Krishnan

1 Like

Thanks @Suraj_madhu. Good review. My search that ended me to this post was, related to the extra uncertain expenses that occur during periodic services or say eg. Issues like the throttle that had to be replaced once on Ather.

Want to consider such expenses since my 6yrs old ICE has kept my pocket surprising every now and then in 2019. The year I last used it over 1,150kms/month. Same average monthly total distance since 2016. Mostly replacements, oil, service & breakdowns.

I would be interested in such savings discussions that would help me plan on other investments; but all I can do is just assume till I own a 450.

Can any present Ather owners share their experience with service, replacements, breakdowns, any surprise expense that would deviate this savings plans with Ather? Would help. Thanks.

A similar comparison has been made in an article by Business Insider:

1 Like

In this thread so far, people have been comparing Ather with a regular ICE scooter to estimate savings. Let me offer a different angle that applies to me and probably a few others. I haven’t purchased an ICE scooter all this time as I wanted my first scooter to be an EV and hence waited several years for a good one. Hence, my regular travel has been through cabs and autos. I have collected the data of all my cab and auto rides over the past year and saw that it costed me about ₹20 per KM of riding!

Having ridden a total of 145 Kms on my Ather so far, that amounts to savings of almost, ₹3000. That’s awesome!

Here’s the relevant section from my dashboard.

8 Likes