Riding Ather 450 from Bangalore to Kochi

Reached home

11 Likes

Please update us with the plans you make for roaming around there!

1 Like

Great travel attempt!!! Another flag bearer for Ather 450 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow… It’s amazing and inspiring to crack the miles… Nothing is impossible​:v::+1:

1 Like

You am Legend!

Yeah, like in the movie, you put yourself and 450 to the max, with the roads and the heat and all… something we all can share with confidence.

Awesome feat, bro! Sorry we couldn’t meet today. But hope it was worth a run!

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: CAT S60 phone

Awesome @georgekuruppan. Congratulations :clap::bouquet::bouquet:. Definitely I think you enjoyed the trip. Kudos to you.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Congratulations

1 Like

Congratulations :clap::tada:

Looks like it was the same day 2 years back! Coincidence :innocent:

12 Likes

ನಿಮಗೆ ಕನ್ನಡ ಅರ್ಥವಾಗುತ್ತದೆಯೊ ಇಲ್ಲವೊ ನಾ ಕಾಣೆ. ಇದು ತೀರ ರಿಸ್ಕಿ ಕೆಲಸ. ಮತ್ತೊಮ್ಮೆ ಯೋಚಿಸಿ. ನೀವು ನೂರು ಕಿ.ಮೀ. ರೇಂಜ್ ಪಡೆಯಬೇಕೆಂದರೆ ಕೇವಲ ೨೫ ಕಿ.ಮೀ. ವೇಗದಲ್ಲಿ ಹೋಗಬೇಕಾಗುತ್ತದೆ. ಇಲ್ಲದಿದ್ದರೆ ನಿಮಗೆ ೮೫ ಕ್ಕಿಂತ ಹೆಚ್ಚು ರೇಂಜ್ ಸಿಗದು. ಅದೂ ಅಲ್ಲದೆ ಒಮ್ಮೆ ಪೂರ ಚಾರ್ಜ್ ಮಾಡಬೇಕೆಂದರೆ ಕನಿಷ್ಟ ಐದೂವರೆ ಗಂಟೆ ಸಮಯ ಬೇಕು. ನೀವು ಹಾಲ್ಟ್ ಆದ ದಿನಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಸಮಸ್ಯೆ ಆಗಲಿಕ್ಕಿಲ್ಲ; ಆದರೆ ಒಂದೇ ದಿನದಲ್ಲಿ ನಡುವೆ ನಿಂತು ಒಮ್ಮೆ ಪೂರ ಚಾರ್ಜ್ ಮಾಡಿಕೊಂಡು ಹೊರಡುವುದು ದುಸ್ಸಾಧ್ಯವೆಂದೇ ನನ್ನ ಭಾವನೆ. ಈ ರಿಸ್ಕ್ ತೆಗೆದುಕೊಳ್ಳುವ ಬದಲು ಟ್ರೈನ್ ಮೂಲಕ ಕೊಂಡೊಯ್ಯಬಹುದ ಯೋಚಿಸಿ.

1 Like

Translation ( From here on please post in english also so that everyone can understand)

I don’t know if you can understand Kannada. This is so risky, if you have to get a range of 100 km you have to drive at around a speed of 25 kmph. Else you will not get more than 85. Also to charge fully you need 5:30 hrs time. Unless you don’t have any problem with halt days I think it is not possible to charge and go in a single day. Rather than taking this risk you can take it over train just think about it.

1 Like

Firstly you don’t always need 100Km range. 80Km is just as good. Cruising at 50kmph is also enough to get 80km range. 25kmph is dangerous but @georgekuruppan made it a point to not use highways for the most part . And 25kmph through Bandipur is absolutely safe.
And he has the older 450 which charges in 4-4.5 hours and he also used a fast charger on the way. All that being said. He could have quite easily sent it by train. But what’s the fun in that? He was looking for an adventure. He got one. I’d pick riding through Bandipur slowly on my ather 450 and wait 4 hrs in the day for 4 days straight to charge up to go ahead rather than sending it by train.

3 Likes

@Suraj_madhu Exactly same thought I had.

I would say it was a calculated risk.

I did 25kmph on such roads in such a timings in which it was safe, to achieve 100km range so that I could search for charging only once in a day. And use the charging time to relax, have food, do my office work.

Full range ride in the morning. Charge and do my stuff. Then again full range ride in evening.

This plan worked out well!

If you are tight on schedule, and don’t have anything to keep you engaged while charging, I would suggest go at 50kmph, with 80km range and then charge for 85% twice a day. Make you reach 225km (75+65+65) in a day (4.5 hrs ride time + 2x2 hrs charge time)…but I chose 25kmph…fully enjoying the scenic way…:slightly_smiling_face:

NB: Mine is 450 not 450x. Calculations based on that.

Else if we have more people interested in doing this long rides, and save time we should ask for a portable fast charger (don’t know the practically of it though, need to study and understand) or a backup battery in the boot as additional connection or a bike with more range.

But I feel Ather serves it’s purpose as a city commuter…100%

4 Likes

It can take a toll on the battery in the longer run if you use a fast charger on a regular basis. That’s the prime reason they aren’t providing fast charger to customers. No doubt, occasionally, it can certainly help…

The battery is placed beneath the leg space due to which there’s a significant improvement in the centre of gravity over the traditional design. Also, the EVs which have backup batteries as the options take eternity to charge. Then, there’s also issue of battery being completely waterproof. So, as of now, as per my knowledge, it isn’t possible for either of those.

But, I believe that the Ather team is certainly researching at a better option where you can have long rides without any ‘charging’ worries… :blush:

PS: Kudos to you for riding like this, that too on a 450!

1 Like

The solution is just adding grid points across India. And increasing charging speeds. No other solution that aligns with athers views on an ev. In that way I think ultraviolet has a design that’s almost perfect in functionality.

The point of a portable charger is mostly occasional use. A portable fast charger is a temporary solution until we have more grid points. Hopefully once Ather is available in more cities I hope Ather considers intercity grid points to just link them up. Until that happens I guess we just have to spend 4-5 hrs charging :person_facepalming: on long trips

… would require industrial level supply and wiring for the desired performance as per current design. So we’ll have to search for 16A (and maybe 3phases?) Outlets wherever we try to take it.

It’s doesn’t require more than 16 amps on single phase since that where ather’s own fast chargers are connected. 40 amps x 58.8v and considering the loss in conversion around 3000 watts so they work on 3000/220 13 to 14 amps

That makes sense… but still it will be ₹30k-ish. So if it is available, it better would be community owned etc. For emergency use only

interested can pool in some money and can share on their rides (the way we are using community chargers) (sorry moderators: you can move it appropriate topic)

3 Likes