Regenerative Braking Tips!

Truth is that I use the Ather to travel 2 km per day, and to be used by my helper as a runabout for workshop related stuff and am not very invested in it mentally. So I haven’t delved into shortcuts. I’ve made note of this particular shortcut now.

That said, I still maintain that Reverse should be available via a simple, intuitive hardware method. Preferably something that doesn’t need more than one finger to trigger.

6 Likes

Auto rickshaw flip lever :slight_smile:. For many years I wasn’t even aware that ricks had a reverse gear!

11 Likes

Or maybe on the dash - real-time.

4 Likes

I believe that it’s just so LITTLE that it barely even matters. The highest I’ve made is(Edit) -18Wh/Km and that was on a perfect decline which maintained my speed at 24Kmph with regen the whole way down. So you’d get 1% for every 1.3Km travelled with ideal roads. Which is near impossible to get.
I guess it doesn’t make sense on the Ather.

9 Likes

Is this correct or

Or this?? :thinking: :thinking:

5 Likes

It’s -18 :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: my bad.
Editted.

2 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: just checked how this guy degraded his figures.

4 Likes

Hello guys,

Can anyone tell me how to use Regenerative Braking in Ather 450X

5 Likes

Use the throttle in the opposite direction. It will gradually reduce the speed of your scooter which in form, acts as regen braking.

1 Like

You can use the search tab in the forum actually. It really works :sweat_smile:

This method is about 1/3rd as effective as the reverse throttle method. It gives back only 1/3rd of the energy that the first method can give back., But you’re right. It is a method, just not a very effective one.

2 Likes

Sorry! It was a misunderstanding from my side. It is clear now. I have also edited it.

2 Likes

From the very initial open house discussions, quite a few people asked for more aggressive regen or give the user option to decide the regen level (Low (Default), Medium, High)

I remember Tarun saying the reason that Regen is relatively new in two-wheelers in India and Ather wants to have some data before making it more aggressive. But, now with 2+ years of data and 1000s of vehicles on road, Ather should have enough data. And, users are not new to Regen anymore.

Because, even if it can add another 3% battery to the current estimate of 4% max, it is an added benefit for people who can make use of suitable driving conditions.

@abhishek.balaji - Any reason why Ather is still not making the Regen more aggressive. Is it difficult? Or, any other danger you guys foresee?

8 Likes

Inherently, the power that comes from braking is way more than is spent on accelerating - think of the expected decrease of speed when applying brakes, compared to the acceleration. Efficiencies dull this difference somewhat. So if the battery is built to absorb the full amount of power that the brakes can dissipate, then the vehicle would be vastly overpowered compared to now. And apparently that is difficult/impractical.

So the extent of regen braking will always be limited compared to regular braking.

Please feel free to point out if I am wrong in any of this.

2 Likes

Correct, Also, there is a limit to the current the cells can absorb, even if you put in a lot. This also affects reverse charging and regen braking. If you need only braking, the residue current coming from the motor can be redirected to a dummy load. But then, no regen charging. (Trying my best here not to talk again about superca… :zipper_mouth_face:)

4 Likes

Actually, I am not an expert, in fact not even an amateur on this subject :smiley: You all might be right. But, I am just trying to recollect the earlier discussions.

From that, my understanding is: it can be much more aggressive, but Ather to chose it to be conservative give that it was new to the market. Later, based on data and feedback, it can be increased or even customizable.

1 Like

Too much science here :thinking::nerd_face:. In simple words, is braking regen more effective or reverse throttle that Abhishek mentioned about? I tried reverse throttle or in other words engine or motor braking and it does slow the machine down but no signs of regen. By the way my speed was Top 90 kmph most of the times. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Regen is barely felt at these speeds. Because it’s capped at a certain peak current.

Reverse throttle is about 3 times as affective as brake regen. It’s most noticeable at 20-45kmph.

6 Likes

So basically brake and drop it down to around 40-45 and reverse throttle then? Correct me if i am wrong.

2 Likes

No no. Regen works entirely up till 90kmph. You can regen at 90kmph down to 20kmph also, if you have the road for it. But the energy made at 90Kmph by regen is about the same made at 30kmph by regen but at 30 you can notice it and at 90 you barley notice it since your kinetic energy is so high and the energy being used for regen is so small and the wind drag is also so high that you barely noticed the regen.

Basically You can regen down all the way from 90kmph to 20kmph. Better than brakes. But if you’re cruising, you’re better of not regening at all. Kinetic energy to potential back to kinetic has a ton of lossess so might as well not regen. That’s what I do on long rides on highways. I almost never regen, I just coast.

8 Likes

Instead of throttling reverse it’s better to activate regeneration while we start applying break .

8 Likes