Portable charger

Hey they are available, can you call Customer care once with your requirement? They’ll help arrange for it asap.

Portable charger its around 10k

2 Likes

Sure Thank you

Hey guys, some information with regards to the portable charger. I was recently in contact with the Ather support team. Apparently there are 2 versions of the portable charger. The older one that costs approx 5k. and the new one that costs 10k.

The difference is that the older portable charger actually does not have a charging unit in it, as the Ather 450 itself has an inbuilt charger in the bike, it just regulates the current and some electrical stuff to make the current safe before it passes to the charger that is built into the bike itself. Note: This charger will not work for the new Ather 450X series.

The New charger is 10k. because it has the charging component is in it as well , thus expensive. This is built for the new ATHER 450X series as the new Ather’s do not have an inbuilt charging unit. Note it is also backwards compatible with the original Ather 450.

In conclusion if you have the original Ather 450 and do not plan to upgrade, save yourself some money and ask for the old type charger. (Its Chronically out of stock all the time.:slight_smile:

Hope this information was useful.

3 Likes

Correction. The Portable DC charger Has been in use for vehicles delivered after Sept/Oct 2019. The 450x just happens to re-use the same components allowing a 450DC charger to also work with the 450x.

This charger will not work on any vehicle that ships with the grey charging pod. It has no relation to the 450x.

3 Likes

It’s been 5 months now since I got my Ather. I have been using the dot as my portable charger when I plan for longer rides. I travel to my hometown (80km from Bengaluru) every week. I carry it in the boot space of the scooter and the space is more than sufficient along with some small things you can adjust in it. But you have to compromise with the boot space as you can’t keep extra helmet in there. I usually travel alone, so was not a problem till now.

11 Likes

Hi Abhishek,

This is Vamsi here i brought ather on feb 2020 till now i am contacting support team for portable charger. But till now there no stock… currently in bangalore ather grid is not open in malls. Due to house owner i can’t install ather dot. due to out of stock i cant order portable charger… i have bike and kept ideally in my parking due to this issue. Please arrange one charger so that i can order it.

2 Likes

Very sad…:disappointed:

Actuly as my information, if u did not installed DOT then while delivery time itself portable charger is giving with scooter…

2 Likes

Is there any new version of portable charger like 3.0 is coming?

No, same as the grey portable charger for the 450.

2 Likes

Not sure if this has been asked before but: Will it be possible to charge the 450x with the Version 1 portable charger?

1 Like

Nope. Simply because there’s no onboard charger on the 450x which can convert AC input from the ver1 portable charger into DC

2 Likes

I joined Ather 450X Open House yesterday. I heard that we can opt between Ather dot and Portable charger at time of delivery. I go to my home town once a month. It is 72 km far from Kolkata. For the flexibility, I prefer to have portable chargers. If I use portable charger regularly, is there any impact on battery in long term ?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ather 450 marketplace

None as far. Only the grid charging points are fast chargers. Regularly charging on them (public Ather chargers) might impact battery health in the long run.

3 Likes

General charging guidelines for any device that uses a lithium ion battery is 1) Avoid fast charging where possible. 2) Maintain charge between 20% - 80%. 3) Avoid hitting 0% as much as you can.

The BMS will take care of other intricate aspects of cell balancing and so on, but avoid the above mentioned as that is something we can do by ourselves.

8 Likes

@abhishek.balaji What is the definition of same in this case. No performance difference? No Main Component difference? Same duration to charge the Ather? Then why don’t you discontinue dot and give out portable charger as standard to all the bookings. At any given time according to me, I feel the portable charger is better than DOT. Atleast range anxiety will not be on the mind. The charger will be in the vehicle, so can be charged anywhere on the go.

4 Likes

A few features that dot has extra are

1. Locked to your own scooter. No point if a thief grabs it.
  2. It gets periodic updates from the scooter (I presume)
  3. Convenience of having a fixed position for owners with allotted parking spots

… so on.

But the portable charger gives freedom at the cost of the above, at least.

1 Like

Don’t give them Ideas to discontinue anything. It is good to have options and people choose what suits them the best. In your personal view Portable charger may be good. But someone else may say “I don’t want to carry that bulky charger in my scooter always when I don’t ride more”. Another person may feel that the Dot is safer as it can’t be stolen easily and even if stolen it can’t charge another vehicle. Compared to earlier atleast Ather is giving users to chose any one. Discontinuation of any one will be bad IMHO.

8 Likes

I think @acorreya and @hemanth.anand put it well! You’ll have the option to pick between the two at the time of delivery :smiley: A few users in Chennai have also not mounted their Dot and just put it in the vehicle boot. So whatever works for you

5 Likes