Poor quality of portable charger AC wire used

I will go into breif about how a wire or a cable is manufactured and why ather has a poor quality of AC input wire and they refused to replace my unit damaged due to substandard quality of wire of Unit. My family had run a wire manufacture business in Delhi from 1970 to 2010 that’s almost 40 years in it.

It starts with spooling, twisting, laying, cooling and rolling for a simple domestic wire unit, industrial application will differ.

1. Spooling (copied images from google to show) image

Now, this is a process of the very first step when spools of copper arrive they are set up in a free manner that they don’t tangle during unwinding. usually a 14.3 wire or 1 sq. mm wire will contain 14 spools of copper of 30 gauge unwinding and fed into to twisting unit.

1. Twisting

The strains of copper will be force-fed into a twisting unit to roll in to become one unit that is since electricity passes on the top of copper and on in it twisting it will make it a more conductive and unexpected strain of copper coming out of the insulation. also repeated if Multicore cable is manufactured

1. Laying (coating copper with insulation material)

It involves more than 3 steps, first is the mixing of colour beads PVC rubber and a synthetic compound which holds all together, the mixture differs to on what application of wire will be used, industrial, domestic, automotive and others like computer wires, underground cable. For basic domestic wire, the ratio will be like 20% colour 40% PVC 20% rubber 10 to 20% synthetic compound, differs on what type of PVC and rubber is used (here is ather’s wire vendor’s problem).

Then the mixture is grinded together and powdered to put in the laying machine where the twisted copper wire is heated and the mixture runs on it forming a layer over it.

1. Cooling. Which runs in a Coldwater, nowadays industrial PVC cooling water, to prevent bubbling/air getting trapped into the PVC or copper getting too much insulation

2. Rolling This is a finish stage where to produced wire is rolled and cut into the required length and further reached the packaging stage. and ISI(now BIS) is tested to make sure the wire meets the specifications

My problem. Ather has used a Cheap Chinese vendor’s Cable into the PC’s input wire, which I recently noted has torn itself sitting in the pouch. (My guess is has caught one of the bottom edges of the PC)

Wire manufacturing is not only a tedious process but involves more of a safety and standard procedure but, this wire DOES NOT HAVE A STANDARD, also have a fake ISI certification or a certification that they don’t follow. This is a result of using too much rubber and less PVC, which will result in a soft wire but malleable to cuts,(industrial rubber is cheap, while PVC resin is expensive).

I requested Ather CC to replace the unit and this is the response I got.

"My portable charger is just sitting around my in garage and today when I wanted to use it the wire in the AC is torn, in my 17 years of wire business I have never seen such a poor quality wire, only to notice you guys have used Chinese wire over Indian standard

If I cut the wire and reinstall it, it will become short and will avoid the warranty, please arrange the replaced cable or Portable charger

Attachment, photos of cable torn by just sitting in the bag"

The Reply

Hi Praveen,

Greetings from Ather Energy!

We receive an update from the backend based on the images you have provided us. The cut or slit in the sleeve of the cable is due to external damage and not caused because of product quality, and hence the product warranty would not be applicable.

You can drop off the charger at our service station for rework in case the charger has stopped working.

Apologies for the delay in response. Good afternoon!

Regards

Yashas

How is this My fault? if you guys have used a substandard cable? An Indian manufacture ISI cable wouldn’t have had this problem

5 Likes

This is what happens when a company started by engineers soon finds itself being run by accountants. I have it on good authority that they went to great lengths to reduce BOM costs on the X, even if it meant sacrificing quality, and also raised the price of the final product.

Hilariously, they still lose money. It’s only a matter of time before a competitor with a little bit of common sense puts them out of their misery.

2 Likes

I understand the hate toward this company but understanding that without someone’s first trial and error there wouldn’t even have a market for other competitors, still it’s a shame that they would consider cost vs safety

3 Likes

Half a decade of operation puts them well clear of the trial and error category. Suggesting that the 2 wheeler EV market wouldn’t exist without Ather is also highly questionable.

Regardless of what they did in the past, t is present performance that really counts. Abusing customers’ goodwill by charging high premiums for deliberately low quality material is inexcusable.