Ola Electric Scooter aka Etergo AppScooter

I just hope that Ola Electric will be the disruptor that our market needs. Currently, despite very good support from central and different state govts with subsidies and incentives, the prices of EV 2 wheelers are too high for the majority of the customers. With limited volumes that price is not gonna come down anytime soon.

The majority of the market does not need a 150 or even 120 km range. The market needs similar specs to what is being offered by Ather 450x, Bajaj Chetak, TVS iQube at Rs 1 lakh on-road price. Whichever company offers such scooters first in the market will be very successful.

3 Likes

The walled garden approach for chargers is unfortunate. Isn’t competition and EV industry friendly, not to mention wasteful. Ather has the right approach here - even if it’s slow charging for others.

1 Like

Looks like the charging port is at the back ? . Anyone know if etergo has a similar design? Because from what I recall. There was no such port at the back.

Their webpage for charging is live: https://www.olaelectric.com/hyperchargernetwork

Some interesting images:

Comes with the disclaimer of “Final locations might be different from the ones shown here”

9 Likes

I don’t find this scooter slim, I find it skinny, tbh. Like something is taken out of it. Same goes for its charging unit…

Charging via this would cost a person ₹1368 per year (10 kms per day) . It is something to discuss about

So… these are likely just a bunch of dropped pins, then? :lying_face:

I know, right? It’s like the originally designed footboard melted a bit just before they placed it for display. FWIW, the awkward curve is to accommodate the banana-shaped batteries under the seat.

2 Likes

They even have 80% charged notification on the mobile app :wink:

1 Like

The charger seems to be a combo piece. The actual charging unit looks to be removable from the mount.

1 Like

And also half of the charger might be inside the scooter like old 450 making the device slimmer.

Ola Electric hired ex-Jaguar designer Wayne Burgess as VP of design. He also liked post about resignation of Pratap Bose (Tata Motors designer). Pratap Bose also retweeted a tweet about Ola designs. Pratap Bose also may join Ola.

Ola is also developing an electric car. They are planning to setup design centres in Bangalore and London.

Ola factory construction photo:

2 Likes

I’m waiting for etergo Electric Scooter lunch

Wayne Burgess to design new models.

At this point, the company which manages to expand to a large no. of cities will likely get the upper hand in the Ev 2w battle.

TVS, for instance is an established company and their iQube has potential but it still lags behind because its available only in a couple of cities.

2 Likes

True. But with this kind of hiring spree, it would be a nuclear bomb on all EV players currently is what I feel. India would be a testing ground for Ola Electric and as per the marketing I think they make a lot of sense so lets hope best for the future.

2 Likes

I travel around 20km/day and the cost was Rs 2736. Considering the price per unit(kWh) to be Rs 7, it can travel 18.7 km / kWh

Ather 450x battery capacity is 2.9 kWh(approx 3 kWh) and it’s mileage of 80 km it can travel 26.6 km / kWh.

Makes me wonder what’s the range and battery capacity of ola electric scooter🤔

1 Like

That’s the main PoD. After all, all are curious about the range, battery specs and charging network. They have promised a lot imo. Let’s see how they deliver

1 Like

My guess is that one portion is the portable charger. Take it out whenever you need it. When you Don’t need it, put it back to the wall charger. It’s like the chargers of the 450x where the dot is nothing but a portable charger wearing a different suit. If it is like my guess, it’s impressive I’d say.

₹1368 per year with 10kms a day (3650 kms per year) is ₹0.37/km which is quite reasonable. Ather also costs pretty much the same.

6 Likes

Yep. Wonder how they will secure it to the mount. Last thing one needs is for a thief to run away with the charger!

5 Likes