Ola Electric Scooter aka Etergo AppScooter

The spread seems alright, and the near side dark spot shouldn’t be much trouble. It’s the darkness on yhe far side of the beam that might be a problem if the high beam isn’t designed to break it up. We’ll have to wait and watch for that. In every other way, this lighting solution is clearly superior.

Assuming they find a conveniently located power source.

7 Likes

Ola has raised another $200 million (~Rs 1,500 crores) at a valuation of $5 billion (Rs 37,653 crores).

The company previously raised $600 million including $200 million which was announced on September 30. This also included USD 100 million debt from Bank of Baroda that was announced in July.

Source:

3 Likes

Here it is! Thoughts on the headlight from the man himself…

5 Likes

The test rides of Ola has been moved to October 25th from the earlier date of October15th.

1 Like

Yeah, and apparently done silently without any official announcement? Lot of angry comments filling up their Twitter posts now…

2 Likes

One thing I learned from endless waiting for decent EVs is, we need to be very very patient about the timelines. In fact, the best way to deal with these delays is just to forget and stop looking for daily updates. Delays are the most painful and common experience in the EV market. It’s happening with each and every EV model.

• It took Ather 2 years to reach outside Bangalore and Chennai and when they finally launched in other cities, its price increased by ~50% for minor improvements. The less we talk about the charging grid expansion and never working so-called smart features, the better.

• Chetak was also available in just 2 cities for almost 2 years. When they started finally expanding, the price went up by 40 to 50% that too despite the subsidy increase.

• TVS also took 1.5 years to expand availability outside Bangalore. At least they did not increase the price like others but we have to buy the charger separately.

• Ola announced that they will complete the first phase in just 3-4 months and start deliveries after summer. Anyone with simple knowledge can easily tell that it was never possible to hit those timelines. But by this time, I became an expert at this waiting game and started ignoring them altogether.

I mean what can I do if they delay the test rides by a week or deliveries by a month? If I have decent options at similar prices, I would go and buy one of those instead of waiting.

People always overestimate the short-term possibilities and underestimate the long-term possibilities.

9 Likes

Very true! And who better to confirm this than Ather owners :yum:

Now the masses too will realise that as far as EVs are concerned, the first announced timelines for anything new are just placeholders at best :joy:

1 Like

Add Ultraviolette F77 to that list too. It sucks to keep waiting…!

3 Likes

What seems to be a better option. ola s1 pro or ather 450x. I got a booking for ola for Jan but by then Maharashtra EV subsidy will be reduced by 15000. So if I get ather now it’s 1.3L and Ola will cost in me Jan about 1.35L or 1.4L For me personally, ola company comes as a bit shady. I really like ather as a company but I am not going to buy an inferior product.

• Ola
  • Ather

0 voters

1 Like

You are comparing Ola S1 Pro with Ather 450X but the comparison should be between S1 as both 450x and S1 have similar battery capacity.

I think if you are not in a hurry, you should at least wait till test rides are started and decide after riding both Ola and 450x.

8 Likes

Wasn’t the original date sometime in October? :thinking:

3 Likes

While on my way home today, saw three camouflaged Ola scooters. The engineers were on a test run and had stopped for a cup of tea. I stopped and had a brief chat with them.

It seemed tall compared to what I had imagined and about the perfect height. From the pictures, I had expected the seat height to be lower.

The screen is huge and bright enough. Saw some screens but didn’t touch them.

Obviously the engineers didn’t reveal much details. I wanted to see the boot space but he told he can’t show it as there were some confidential equipment inside (logging devices I presume).

I quickly took couple of pictures and when they saw, they objected to it. So i didn’t take more. A small crowd started building up and they quickly rode off.

13 Likes

It still says 25th Oct on their website, is this a notification you got on the ride-booking app?

3 Likes

Apparently, people who booked S1/S1 Pro got this notification via the Ola mobile app on their phone. People have shared screenshots of this notification complaining on Twitter, and Ola too is stating this new date there.

Edit: Weird if their website FAQ is not updated, since on Twitter they are officially sharing the November date itself for all queries.

4 Likes

First Hypercharger

Did he even do this trip? More of a promotional tweet.

PS. Why is he riding an S1 and not an S1 Pro?:sweat_smile::joy:

3 Likes

Also, I noticed there are no number plates on “his” scooter. So is it just a PR campaign, or am I missing something about exceptions for plates in some particular cases?

3 Likes

And the maps look just like the one in Ather. Nothing special. Another dumb navigation system IMO. No route planner, no SoC on arrival. No traffic details. Damn… good I didn’t rush to buy it.

2 Likes

I guess it’s both an actual ride a PR Exercise. When he was in a cafe outside, his scooter had a temp number plate. This charging thing is inside their campus (Prestige Star Tech). So those red number plates were probably removed as it doesn’t look so good on an yellow scooter. Or both thise scooters might be different also.

6 Likes

I think its the same yellow one manufactured as dusheera special on oct 15th. S1 but they have installed S1 pro software so its ARAI is 181 kms and real range in eco could be 134 kms so its displayed in that maps photo

Looks like the scooter has a Temp (red) number plate if you go through the images hat he has posted on his twitter