M017 & M019 Errors

Hello Shreyas,

I have noticed an error message - M017, High Motor Temperature resulting in drive loss / Power loss which is cutting off the drive immediately. This is the 3rd occurrence of the error within a month.

I almost had an accident today when i had a power loss in the morning. This is a safety issue.

As said I reset the ignition switch and i was able to ride as normal. Is this really an error due to overheating if which i wouldn’t be able to drive unless the temp. comes down. Also ignition reset leads to erase of vehicle error memory. Why is the error being erased from the registry.

I had also updated the issue to the emergency helpline. Couldn’t get any response. Request you to Look into it and resolve at the earliest. Pictures has been sent through mail to the Info@atherenergy

Looking for quick support.

thank you,

3 Likes

Please book a service request and have them pick it up to check. It sounds like the temperature sensor is sending out incorrect data and hence the BMS is cutting off power to protect the vehicle.

But again, that’s just my guess and the only way to be sure is if Ather diagnoses it.

Hmmm… summer is just about starting in chennai and this is what it does to my Ather!:joy:

I guess I shouldn’t get throttle happy at every passing possibility/empty stretch I find. Also, note to self: never ride in sports mode as the only mode of the vehicle.

1 Like

Also I’d suggest you give it for a pressure wash every month or two. It will get rid of dust and dirt around the motor, cooling fan and the belt drive, which increases the temperature faster and makes your vehicle less efficient.

But one has to take care during pressure wash … water should not be sprayed over the display as it may get damaged

Yup. Here’s a video: https://youtu.be/Tg-3qbk0n0M/

2 Likes

I am not sure the OTA updates are there to degrade or improve the performance. After recent update to 4.1.2, my 450 started behaving weirdly. Here are few things I have noticed,

1. After OTA 4.1.2 update, the vehicle was shutdown for 3 days. When turned on it suddenly started showing M019 code (Low Power Mode).
  2. When I was on the road in peak traffic on the same day, suddenly vehicle started showing M019 (Low Power Mode) message with zero acceleration twice. Trust me it was very embarrassing and risky. I had to pull my vehicle on the side in the middle of bumper to bumper traffic in both cases.
  3. After this OTA update, the hiss noise from fan is very evident even after just 2km in to drive on a given day. Was this normal? or my vehicles battery is getting heated too quickly? Ather 450 owners can answer this…
  4. I have noticed that, after this OTA update there’s sudden increase in the power consumption. Usually, it hovers around 25 to 28Wh/km for my style of driving. Now it is in between 33 to 40W/km. I use ECO and RIDE modes interchangeably and do not use Sport mode in peak traffic.
  5. When I switched on the vehicle in the morning, it was showing me battery level was 96%. When I drove vehicle for 2km+ then suddenly battery indicator shown 98% battery level resulting in all wrong projected range. After driving 10km, the battery went down too fast to 87%, which is not normal trend I observe daily.

I insist @Ather.Team to answer these above questions and release quick fix for these issues related to battery management and performance.

1 Like

M019 problem in 450…
After resetting also problems again and again …

Today morning just missed with bmtc BUS ,
Suddenly motor got low power showing notification,
after taking overtake to bus (greatly bus driver apply to brake) am safe …

Actually problem is simple but situation will not make simple…

Service scheduled

3 Likes

Team @Ather.Team, @abhishek.balaji, @hemanth.anand @tarun

Today, I almost saved myself from a mishap happening on outer ring road due to the technical glitch M019 and M107. A city bus was in its bus lane on outer ring road opposite new horizon college of engg and I was driving in confidence in ‘Sports’ mode and I wanted to take left turn crossing bus lane to reach to my destination, to my surprise vehicle suddenly displayed below M019 error and speed reduced drastically. Luckily the bus was moving slow and narrowly escaped an accident today. And this is happening like 8th or 9th time that too in peak traffic… Service has been scheduled in this regard and sadly my scooter is going to service station second time within 750km odo.

I also noticed few new set of issues,

1. Motor is getting extremely hot for even for just 2km drive.
  2. Motor fan gets switched on immediately when scooter turned on, that too on cold morning.
  3. Power consumption on scooter display got stuck at 30Wh/km.
  4. Increased power consumption is showing on ride stats as opposed to vehicle display.
  5. Overall reduction in acceleration/pick-up is also noticed recently.

This is what separates Ather from other electric scooters right? - ‘The premium scooter’, surprisingly it comes with loads of bugs and issues for free. You have no right to boast yourself as a premium product when you do NOT have a stable product and have loads of bugs and technical glitches and consumer need to live with these annoying issues each day even after paying hefty premium :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Same thing happened with me today due to this glitch, saved by an inch… Read my post above.

I too had m017 and m019 error repeatedly after the 4.1.1 update on my new 450s since i read somewhere in the forum that it’s a temperature sensor error and not the actual error i complained to CC and asked them to replace the sensor, but they never replaced it and said that there was some torque problem on the bolt of the sensor and they have fixed the problem, after that the even after 2 months it never came, maybe you ask the CC to do the same

2 Likes

This is really scary… I have just completed my payment gateway formality & waiting for delivery day… and now feeling afraid if this happens… it will also b used by my wife to commute children from school & classes.

2 Likes

Mayur nothing to fear about It , there are thousands riding 450 , I understand some will have glitches, there is backend Ather support team & if any problems always reach service center & get checked

2 Likes

Even I thought this M017 high motor temp problem was one off due to my riding style. It showed up a couple of times later too (once after the vehicle was shutdown for 3 whole days) I raised a ticket through the Ather app and they’re picking it up Tomorrow to get it checked out thoroughly.

Ather picked up the bike yesterday morning had it thoroughly checked and also flashed the latest update to the bike. Once the job was done the customer service Dept called me and explained what was done before the vehicle was delivered. I took it for a test ride before accepting delivery and Have ridden it 15kms since and the error seems to have gone away.

1 Like

Aravind, that is good to know and appreciate your prompt update in the forum.

For the benefit of the audience here, will you please update us on the issue? What was it causing this error? What was done by service team to rectify? is there anything that user needs to take care?

Hey Rajesh

They said it was primarily a software bug. Flashed the latest update. In addition to that they also said that the entire wiring and wiring harness was checked to ensure problem doesn’t occur again in future

1 Like

Actually,

This Error code M019 problems (high temperature & low power mode both comes in M019 code bcoz problem is two but solution is one)
Even some customer facing M017 error code also…

This problem was starts at auto updating 4.1.2 some scooters 4.1.1 version …

In this update bugs are there but not to all scooters .

So,
problem facing scooter will move service centre and there technician removing bugs by manually editing updates…

At final no problem while taking delivery…

This is not a simple as it was missed. What if bus driver was busy in talking and didn’t notice you. It’s a serious and life threatening issue. @Ather.Team @abhishek.balaji @tarun please Justin this. **THIS NEEDS URGENT ESCALATION **

if not this issue not attended then it can become a huge bad impression to entire Ather. There must be nil such incidents.

1 Like

@abhishek.balaji Why no reply for the issue from @alandkar. Life can’t be spared for software bugs even after paying premium price and subsciption charges.

3 Likes

Team @Ather.Team, @abhishek.balaji, @hemanth.anand @tarun

Today, I almost saved myself from a mishap happening on outer ring road due to the technical glitch M019 and M107. A city bus was in its bus lane on outer ring road opposite new horizon college of engg and I was driving in confidence in ‘Sports’ mode and I wanted to take left turn crossing bus lane to reach to my destination, to my surprise vehicle suddenly displayed below M019 error and speed reduced drastically. Luckily the bus was moving slow and narrowly escaped an accident today. And this is happening like 8th or 9th time that too in peak traffic… Service has been scheduled in this regard and sadly my scooter is going to service station second time within 750km odo.

I also noticed few new set of issues,

1. Motor is getting extremely hot for even for just 2km drive.
  2. Motor fan gets switched on immediately when scooter turned on, that too on cold morning.
  3. Power consumption on scooter display got stuck at 30Wh/km.
  4. Increased power consumption is showing on ride stats as opposed to vehicle display.
  5. Overall reduction in acceleration/pick-up is also noticed recently.

This is what separates Ather from other electric scooters right? - ‘The Premium Scooter’, surprisingly it comes with loads of bugs and issues for free. You have no right to boast yourself as a premium product when you do NOT have a stable product and have loads of bugs and technical glitches and consumer need to live with these annoying issues each day even after paying hefty premium :man_shrugging:

4 Likes