Installing the Ather Dot

Do we have choice of dot or portable charger for 450x? Or dot with vehicle and portable charger with extra cost?

You can decide which one you want for 450x, DOT or portable charger. The one that you choose, you will get free. The other you may buy later if required.

1 Like

Can the DOT be moved from one place to another? Possibly a city change?

Pretty sure you can, as the installation is quite easy, and even a local electrician can do for you, if not the Ather technicians.

1 Like

How to install ather dot by the owner itself and can in get the number for the ather installation community for installation

Yes, it can be done

2 Likes

Please browse or search the forum, you will find many posts, happy browsing.

Do we have an option to select ather dot or portable charger for 450 plus??

1 Like

Yes. You can go for any of the two.

1 Like

Please make sure you confirm this well in advance before delivery. There have been instances where the invoice is made for a different charger and it’s a tough thing to get it swapped later.

1 Like

Yes but I recommend before your registration gets completed you give your option through email and get confirmation email from them that way we can avoid any future issues. Email confirmation is a must to have for all references.

Ather person haven’t told me about choosing any one of our choice for charging. Now My invoice has been generated with ather dot and registeration has been initiated is there any chance to swap to portable charger?

It’s DOT by default that’s what I was told. You need to buy portable one seperately

Try doing so by contacting CS.

1 Like

Invoice is required to start registration because of VIN number and stuff you can still write to CS and ask for a portable charger and ensure to get a updated invoice. I said before registration because once registration is done they won’t take much time to deliver so it will be difficult for us.

Registration completed today. I wrote mail to cs regarding swapping to portable charger, got an reply mail stating that i will get reply mail within 24 hour!

Good just make sure while taking delivery check every thing is updated in the handover documents.

2 Likes

@kumar.uppaluri2 have u got portable charger or ather dot?

Portable charger it is more convenient for me as I stay in rented house.

I wrote to ather after the registration process started regarding my option and received a confirmation the same day evening. While taking delivery I checked everything portable charger item number shall be assigned to your order for future references(warranty and stuff).

1 Like

Just got done with Ather Dot installation today. Independent house, so no permission issues.

We were worried about parking the 450x outside (or if we go outstation) overnight, so did not opt for screwing it to the wall, instead just hung it from two screws - fits well. If we want to charge the vehicle inside, I can bring the Dot in as well, hang it to a second set of screws, and plug it in into a 15A socket. Outside the Ather electrician drew conduit and cable from the meter which came to around 8 metres, and then fitted 5A socket, such that the Dot can be plugged in through the 15A-to-5A converter supplied. The installation took less than 45 mins, more time we spent in discussing the options and him answering my questions. It was a neat, professionally done job.

If it were not fear of the unknown, I would have installed on my own. But the peace of mind and lack of uncertainty is the main reason to opt for company installation, so its fair enough for Ather to charge for this.

But the price of ₹ 2124 plus ₹ 450 for the extra 3 metres is way too high. I understand that it will have overheads because it comes via the company, but all told ₹ 1000 should be all it costs for a proper professional electrician for the amount of time and material it takes. I don’t think Ather should try to use this as a means to generate further profit, but that’s my opinion.

In any case, I make my recommendation for future buyers clear :

• (Applies to the next 3 bullets) Get to know the exact model of charger that you’re getting, read the manual.
  • If you have a reasonably recent 3-pin socket nearby, definitely don’t opt for paid installation and do it yourself. It’s literally drilling 2-4 holes, and putting in 2-4 screws, like “installing” a wall-hung self-lit portrait, and a lot easier than wall-mounting a TV. In my case the wall and the building wiring were very old and unreliable so I went with the new cable which the Ather electrician brought.
  • If you are getting the cable/conduit installed, a local electrician, especially someone who you already contact regularly, will do this in 1/3 the cost.
  • If you are handy with tools but, like me, are unsure if there are special considerations for this EV charger, perish the thought. This is absolutely standard wiring, but without the additional headaches of pulling wire around multiple corners through wall-embedded or roof-embedded conduit. Don’t opt for paid installation, and DIY.
  • If you are not handy at all, and are tired of the uncertainty that calling a local electrician brings and want a perfect assured solution at a price premium, then the Ather installation definitely fits the bill.
13 Likes