Installing the Ather Dot

This is normal charger.Not fast charger.Durinf open forum discussion i inderstood that fast charger costs about 30-40k.This installation is quite simple one.You can take from meter also if it is near to it.This also seems okay.

Does this mean I won’t be able to get 80 percent charge in 1 hr? What is the actual procedure to get the actual fast charger installed directly from meter? Why is Ather not informing this on payment page or during installation? @abhishek.balaji can you help understand the different chargers and installation types done. I was hoping all customers get the same.

This is the charger which are given to all.Of you want to get 80% charge in 1hr,you have to charge in fast charging systems available in ather charging stations.This is overnight charger.Fast chargong reduces the life of battery.In case of emergency and charge on the go(to avoid range anxiety) fast charging to be used.Ather doesn’t have on the shelf fast chargers.Even you install from meter, you will not be able to fast charge.It requires fast chargers and that costs 30-40k.Are you ready to buy it?

2 Likes

I just now went through all faqs and forum posts to understand the differences between dot charger and public fast charger. Ather is clever in advertising about fast charging and the battery capabilities but never explicitly say anywhere that home charger is not a fast charger. Now I get it. BTW I would have been okay buying the fast charger considering all public points are very far away from my home and mine is an independent home as well.

Two types of chargers:

Home charger

This is the one you install at home, and is used to charge your scooter most of the time. This is meant to charge overnight when your scooter is in the parking lot and idle. Installation can either be done through any switch box or directly to the meter.

In case you live in a multi-story apartment, your meter would be easier to plug into since this would be in the parking lot where your scooter is parked.

In cases like yours where there’s a 5 amp socket available and you live on the ground floor, we can draw the cabling from there as well.

Charging time for the Dot is around 3 hours for 80% and 5.5 hours for 0-100%,

Fast public charger

These are units we install in publicly accessible locations like malls, cafes, restaurants etc. These cannot be installed at home since they have a much higher load, and are significantly more expensive than the Dot. Fast chargers are meant to be used for quick top ups when you’re around the city. They are not feasible for everyday use.

Charging time here is about 80% in an hour.

2 Likes

The ather dot installation team took an idiotic shortcut to install the device and left my home in mess. Drilled hole from within an ac room to outside (just to reduce their work). Sprayed dust all over the things while drilling. Did not clean it properly before leaving. Left my old age parents to handle it because of good reviews of installation but completely disappointed here. Can’t they just ask us to move our things before drilling right on top of it? Ather - please use experienced electricians who are not looking for short work but good work.

5 Likes

That’s not an experience we want you to have Kaushik. I’ll check with the team on why this happened and have someone reach out to you.

1 Like

And using fast charging regularly is proven to be bad for battery health.

3 Likes

Request someone to clarify at the earliest whether the wiring for DOT unit can be drawn from 6A point or 15A point is needed.

2 Likes

5A fine. for future you can put 15A swich

1 Like

Thank you.

If you bought Electric Car it required 15A switch. Buy 3M board. it support 15A and 5A both.

2 Likes

Is it okay if the input to Ather Dot is from generator set (installed in apartment for standby power)? If it can be connected to generator, I would be able to charge the battery even during extended power cuts.

That would depend on the quality of power output from the generator. If the DG is able to put out a relatively stable sine wave then it should not be a problem, however fluctuations would mean that the DOT may cut power to protect itself and the bike.

I’ve had 2 instances when the bike couldn’t be charged due to overnight power cuts and fluctuations. Fortunately I have to Grid points nearby, charging sockets at my office and an old activa as a backup ride :grin: - though after just 1 hr of riding the activa my back flared up.

2 Likes

Thank you. I think the output is quite stable and with a protection system in place, DOT would be safe. I will discuss with my electrician about output quality as he is maintaining the generator. I am planning to tap from 6A power line in my flat as 15A powerline would be cut off in event of powercuts and generator takes over and supports only 6A line. Thanks again.

1 Like

Good that your electrician is aware of the DG wiring. In case you plan to upgrade to a 4wheeler EV in the near future then it would be a good idea to use a thicker gauge that is typically used for 16a circuits.

In the future, when you get a 4wheeler, you could always just route the wiring at the DB end to use the 16amp line instead of the 5a line.

2 Likes

Yes, I am going for thicker gauge but will connect to 5A circuit as DG does not support 16A circuit. DG is not connected to 16A circuit in my apartment to limit the load on the DG. The main purpose of connecting the DOT to DG is to ensure charging of the scooter even during extended powercuts. It’s nice interacting with you. Thanks for the inputs.

1 Like

Ready for DOT installation tomorrow morning at 9.00am. But DOT unit has not arrived yet. Not sure if it has been despatched. Will the installation team bring it along?

1 Like

Yes installation team will bring.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the information.

2 Likes