Installing the Ather Dot

Ather Dot installation is scheduled on Saturday, 22 Feb 2020. I reside in the second floor of my apartment. I wish to lay a cable from a 15Amp scoket in the utiities area of my flat to the Dot that I would install in my parking slot in the basement. I do not wish to draw wiring from the meter. I need to have switch control to prevent power theft. What sort of cable must be laid? Is it a three core cable? Kindly advice. Thanks.

1 Like

I doubt power theft will be a concern with the authentication that happens for when you plug the charger. Only your Ather 450 can be charged your Dot.

2 Likes

I meant power theft from the socket (to which Dot will be plugged in) in the parking lot and not from the Dot’s output.

1 Like

AFAIK, the DOT does not come Pre-fixed with a male plug. So instead of fixed a socket and plugging the DOT in, why do you just directly crimp it to your main line from the meter (add a MCB in between as a 2nd later of protection)?

No socket, no power theft!

3 Likes

Thanks. If its so, I have not issues then regarding power theft. Would MCB (second layer of protection) be part of Ather’s scope?

2 Likes

Check this post to get a good sense on installation: https://forum.atherenergy.com/t/ather-dot-the-new-home-charging-pod/3435/95?u=abhishek.balaji

3 Likes

I have opted for Self installation of Ather Dot, May i know weather PRCD is included in the Box or we have to purchase it from outside sources @abhishek.balaji

Dear Mr. Mayur, I understand you opted for self installation. Please let me know the guage of the cable you used from your mains/meter until the Dot. What should be the current carrying capacity of the cable? I am planning to draw a line (approx. 30 meters) from the service utility area of my flat in second floor to the parking lot where Dot will be installed. I need to have switch and socket arrangement for future use.

1 Like

Hi, I just got the installation of home charger done today by Ather team. They had taken the connection from a normal 3-pin socket from within my home. I’m not sure if this is still the fast charger. I had seen pics in forum before that they take directly from meter. Can anyone confirm this is right installation?

2 Likes

This is normal charger.Not fast charger.Durinf open forum discussion i inderstood that fast charger costs about 30-40k.This installation is quite simple one.You can take from meter also if it is near to it.This also seems okay.

Does this mean I won’t be able to get 80 percent charge in 1 hr? What is the actual procedure to get the actual fast charger installed directly from meter? Why is Ather not informing this on payment page or during installation? @abhishek.balaji can you help understand the different chargers and installation types done. I was hoping all customers get the same.

This is the charger which are given to all.Of you want to get 80% charge in 1hr,you have to charge in fast charging systems available in ather charging stations.This is overnight charger.Fast chargong reduces the life of battery.In case of emergency and charge on the go(to avoid range anxiety) fast charging to be used.Ather doesn’t have on the shelf fast chargers.Even you install from meter, you will not be able to fast charge.It requires fast chargers and that costs 30-40k.Are you ready to buy it?

2 Likes

I just now went through all faqs and forum posts to understand the differences between dot charger and public fast charger. Ather is clever in advertising about fast charging and the battery capabilities but never explicitly say anywhere that home charger is not a fast charger. Now I get it. BTW I would have been okay buying the fast charger considering all public points are very far away from my home and mine is an independent home as well.

Two types of chargers:

Home charger

This is the one you install at home, and is used to charge your scooter most of the time. This is meant to charge overnight when your scooter is in the parking lot and idle. Installation can either be done through any switch box or directly to the meter.

In case you live in a multi-story apartment, your meter would be easier to plug into since this would be in the parking lot where your scooter is parked.

In cases like yours where there’s a 5 amp socket available and you live on the ground floor, we can draw the cabling from there as well.

Charging time for the Dot is around 3 hours for 80% and 5.5 hours for 0-100%,

Fast public charger

These are units we install in publicly accessible locations like malls, cafes, restaurants etc. These cannot be installed at home since they have a much higher load, and are significantly more expensive than the Dot. Fast chargers are meant to be used for quick top ups when you’re around the city. They are not feasible for everyday use.

Charging time here is about 80% in an hour.

2 Likes

The ather dot installation team took an idiotic shortcut to install the device and left my home in mess. Drilled hole from within an ac room to outside (just to reduce their work). Sprayed dust all over the things while drilling. Did not clean it properly before leaving. Left my old age parents to handle it because of good reviews of installation but completely disappointed here. Can’t they just ask us to move our things before drilling right on top of it? Ather - please use experienced electricians who are not looking for short work but good work.

5 Likes

That’s not an experience we want you to have Kaushik. I’ll check with the team on why this happened and have someone reach out to you.

1 Like

And using fast charging regularly is proven to be bad for battery health.

3 Likes

Request someone to clarify at the earliest whether the wiring for DOT unit can be drawn from 6A point or 15A point is needed.

2 Likes

5A fine. for future you can put 15A swich

1 Like

Thank you.