Improved Efficiency

Hey Abhishek. If not attend the owners meet because we are not the current owners but can we please get to know what the discussion is about? There might be future owners too who would like to know. Thanks!

2 Likes

Am excited to share my recent ride details. I went to Bombay (Ather service centre) from Virar, which is ~61 kms. The weather was terrible. It was raining all the time and was windy. So you can imagine the headwind I faced. :grinning:… I left home with 100% charge & dashboard showing estimated range of 70kms in ride mode. It was mostly highway route & to my pleasant surprise, I got close to 90kms range estimate. Trust me, I didn’t ride like a grandma. I was mostly in the bike lane and was easily overtaking all the rickshaws, slow trucks & most of the ICE scooters. When I was 10 kms closer to the destination, I kicked off the warp mode & showed off like a pro…! :sunglasses::sunglasses:… Overall, I am trullly satisfied. Lots of love @tarun. Please, improve the software consistency & kindly enable smart charging soon.

And annoying maps kept resetting randomly. I think I counted 6 times in 120kms long journey.

12 Likes

This was back in June’21. In 2022, Fantastic to ride but the software experience still is overall disappointing… After 10.1.6, 2 major annoyances have been somewhat fixed “navigation and dashboard reboots”. But, still :-

• need regular forced reboots for ride sync issues.
  • dashboard resets at 6 pm (everytime) when theme changes to dark mode
  • smart charging is missing
  • TPMS is a lost hope now
  • send location to bike is hit or miss

To conclude “Its time we need a new model” with

• much better range,
  • better fast charging speeds
  • better (& stable) smart features
  • upgraded dashboard hardware
  • smart charging included
  • slightly longer in dimensions (atleast as long as Activa/ Jupiter)
2 Likes

They’re beta testing this right now.

Definitely not, once Ather rolls off a new model off their line all of us with the 450X are basically going to be stuck with whatever we have now.

3 Likes

After 1 year and over 10k kms, I still get 2.6 kWh out of it. Its pretty cool. No visible degradation. Although, the efficiency might have gone up a bit. Its hard these days to get below 30Wh/km. Anyway, 10k kms service been done today. Hopefully that will help with the overall efficiency. :crossed_fingers:

This is what I had got like a year ago, while travelling to the same place (Virar to Bombay)

This is what I got today. Of course, I drove much more freely this time. Haha

2 Likes

You are right. Right tyre pressure reduces rolling resistance, which aids in Better Range.

2 Likes

10days completed with my New Ather 450x , I’m sharing my ride log .

6 Likes

How are the folks over here getting efficiency numbers in 20s?

I have only been riding for a month but so far my average efficiency when riding without a pillion is 32 Wh/Km.

I like to think that I ride pretty smooth and generally try to follow all the good practices of EV riding. I can blame Bangalore’s bad roads and traffic for only some part of that. But I guess I’m missing something. Can someone help me out here?

Here is a picture from my stats dashboard:

3 Likes

hey just wanted to know from where you got this stats page?

4 Likes

What I do is have the efficiency option turned on from the settings in dash board . So everytime your athers motor isn’t running efficient it shows a red halo while your riding , On your dashboard left side to speed reading . So I try to have my speed under control when the red halo appears .

1 Like
1 Like

It’s something I’ve put together on my home server with the data from Ather app.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’ve that too. Everytime I see it, I let go of the throttle until it goes away…

3 Likes

This is the key: minimize acceleration and braking.

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess I’ve to be even more attentive on that front.

One question though, wouldn’t breaking help with range as it adds to regen?

2 Likes

I suppose the Regen during braking is not quite much, from what I feel during rides. You can check out by applying cbs (left brake) with and without regen braking (reverse accel) at a safe spot to check.

If this is correct, what you regain from braking regen is lesser than regen used alone. Also, according to physics and battery tech, the energy transfer is always lossy.

3 Likes

Yeah, I do want to test out that difference but I’ll need to collect several data points to make a conclusion.

5 Likes

From my experience, getting the most efficient rides are primarily based on planning.

Plan for the road ahead of you. Avoid potholes as much as you can. Don’t slow down for very small ones, your vehicle can handle it. Notice if vehicles in front are driving over a hump and let go of the throttle even if you are 50metres away, you’ll be at the right speed when you reach the hump. Notice if vehicles in front of you are stopping at a signal/obstruction and release throttle way ahead. Accelerate before climbing an uphill road and let the inertia of the scooter help with the climb. Take advantage of slopes and let the vehicle roll downhill, use regen to slow down.

Basically ride it like a bicycle where you’d use every bit of energy you put into the wheels, because you have to pedal :joy:

Also in order of highest efficiency to lowest:

Planning > Regen braking > normal braking

Hope this helps.

8 Likes

Its high time we need a new model with at least 100 kms range or more…!

4 Likes

There certainly is a new model in the works at Ather. But it’s not going to come out in 2022. Maybe 2023. By then the battery tech would definitely improve enough to bump the True range past 100 kms. More like 120+. Let’s see how Ather brings it out.

2 Likes