Home Charging

Thanks for the guidance @sumanth1998, really helps.

Thanks @toraghavan09

I did get a call back and what they said was they don’t provide switches any more because of some electricity theft issues etc. and said it is not an issue. Electricity theft is not an issue for me since I park inside a closed garage. Anyways, they said it consumes very little power when not charging and not to worry. Will leave it for now

But at least they should have asked switch is needed or not beforehand. Anyways I have come across on forum, the Dot consumes very less power which would add about INR 30-50 in the bill.

I have one question regarding dot charger. Why is that the dot charger is linked to a particular flight … why not open it so if a user is willing to allow others to use his dot charger, wouldn’t it increase the charging stations, also benefit other ather buyers. Save Ather a lot of effort to setup the grid. If the owners of dot charger are not comfortable with round the clock, they can specify a time frame when they can allow… what say?

This has been discussed at length in the below link.

It is linked/restricted to one vehicle because of 2 main reasons.

1. You don’t want someone using your charger (stealig power) when you’re not there. For example in the basement of an apartment when you’re at office and some other Ather 450 charging using your pod/dot
  2. For Ather one Subscribers, Ather gives reimbursement and it should be only for one scooter

However Ather is contemplating a “Guest mode” where an owner can allow a guest to charge the scooter. But many things are there around it and we don’t know when such a thing will come up.

3 Likes

Thanks @hemanth.anand good to know that it was already an idea which was discussed.

1 Like

Adding a switch as a part of the installation is definitely possible, but depends on some things:

1. If there’s a perceived risk of power theft in the area where you’re installing such as a basement parking lot or if there’s a risk of rain or water seeping in.

2. If it’s an individual house where it’s installed, and the installation area is quite close to your house, the switch will be installed on request.

In your case, the technician would have taken a call that adding a switch would not be a good idea or not needed.

Like you mentioned, the Dot can be left on when not under use on a daily basis and it won’t consume much electricity when powered. It also becomes more convenient to charge every night when you park your scooter.

Adding to what Hemanth mentioned,

1. Theoretically sounds good to share charging point, but can become a nuisance if it’s being frequently used. The electricity consumed is measured on the scooter and not on the Charger/plug point, so you’d have to foot the bill for everyone, or figure out how to charge people for it. :\

2. If you’re up for it, you can install a 5/16A plug point with good earthing and list it in one of the many community charging apps to allow EV owners to charge from it.

3. If you have a friend or family member with an Ather who frequents your place, you can map their scooter to your charger and vice-versa and they’d be able to charge from your Dot.

1 Like

This might require commercial license to operate

As per govt recent rules, No commercial license required to host an EV charging point

Could you link to an official notification or a doc for everyone’s benefit?

1 Like

I believe this was specific to power distribution. No separate approvals from the power distribution company (BESCOM, TNEB) required to host a point.

Municipalities or corporations may require a license.

Ather 450 has an onboard charger whereas Atger 450X doesn’t have an onboard charger. So is the DOT charger that comes with 450X different from 450. I mean it needs to reduce 220v to a lower voltage.

1 Like

The Ather 450 manufactured till September 2019 came with onboard AC-DC converter. The ones manufactured post that and shipped with the DOT charger do not have the AC-DC converter since the DOT takes care of that part.

The 450x will continue to ship with a DOT charger.

So @raghav.srinivasan, 450X needs a DC input and not an AC input.

1 Like

Yes the scooter needs DC input and the conversion from AC to DC is done by the dot charger or the portable charger.

Hi guys just wanted to know the optimum charging method for my flight in ather dot (home point) when should i put it charge and till wat percent it needs to be charged 100 or 90 and is charging the battery daily harmful to the battery

I charge daily. I cut off charging between 80% and 84%. My usage per day is only 19.5km. I can go for alternate day charging too…but I keep some buffer just in case I need to commute more for some reason.

What’s your daily usage like? If you travel long distances > 40km, you’ll need to charge everyday.

Like @ram.panchapakesan mentioned, you can charge upto whatever level fits your usage. Personally, I like to charge to 100% so I can accommodate for any circumstances.

1 Like