Help convince our apartment association

https://m.economictimes.com/industry/auto/auto-news/buildings-may-have-to-set-aside-20-parking-space-for-ev-charging/articleshow/71659313.cms?fbclid=IwAR2Ca-9K2Yt0vkpzx9n1HEdMnGfLTJHPH7wroi98dXuNjki66--cbUHW624

1 Like

We donā€™t have any document from BESCOM on this, but after speaking to the team again, they clarified that BESCOM only does something if the meter is modified. The installation of charging point is done through the breaker after the meter and hence shouldnā€™t cause any issues

3 Likes

Thanks Raghav! Iā€™ll use this to convince the association.

1 Like

Thanks Abhishek! Iā€™ve got the contact of the BESCOM JE of our area. Iā€™ll talk to him today and check their policies too. Iā€™ll use the diagram in the document and Raghavā€™s photos. Hopefully, theyā€™ll respond.

3 Likes

Just an update after talking to the BESCOM JE of JP Nagar. His words were ā€œBefore meter itā€™s our responsibility, after meter itā€™s your wishā€. He told me that a new circuit can be drawn after the MCB post the meter. Iā€™m assuming MCB is the circuit breaker in the diagram. The next step is to convince our builder to let Ather access the meter!

5 Likes

Let me know if you need any help in convincing your builderā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Yes. MCB is the breaker. Anything after the breaker is billed to the meter. Unless your builder is worried about cables spoiling the asthetics of your parking lot, donā€™t understand why he should deny permission.

1 Like

Guys i need Dot installation manualā€¦
Please share it

According to Tamil Naduā€™s EV policy, does charging your vehicle come under residential or commercial rate? My apartment association wants to know this. It seems our entire ground floor parking area runs in commercial rate and hence they were wondering about this

Residential. This is your personal charging point that gets pulled from your meter box.

2 Likes

Current situation in my apartment.

2 Likes

How is it possible that you donā€™t have a parking spot for your apartment. Isnā€™t it mandatory?

Oh man, thatā€™s bad. Letting the battery drain to 0% and keeping it there for so long could have resulted in some permanent reduction in the batteryā€™s capacity.

I am in the same situation, the people here didnā€™t let me install a charger in my parking lot either. The reason I got was that it would ā€œcause a mess of wires in the parking lotā€, if everyone installed chargers like me. Iā€™ve been charging only with my portable charger.

Itā€™s ridiculous that in 2019 we still have to face resistance to EV infrastructure.

3 Likes

Itā€™s technically not 0% since there is a 5% buffer to ensure it never goes to zero or overcharges.

1 Like

Oh that feels good

During purchase, only bike parking was provided to us by the builderā€¦ And that bike parking is not a dedicated oneā€¦ It can be parked in the marked common bike parking areaā€¦

Oh didnā€™t know that. But still, if you keep it that way for 10 days straight, wonā€™t it go below that buffer? How do they ensure that SoC stays above that buffer?

Posted my apartment problem in Twitter.

@raghav.srinivasan Thanks for your support bro on Twitter

2 Likes

Getting more and more clarification on the regulations.

2 Likes

I am awaiting the delivery of my Ather in Bangalore and after seeing posts in this thread, I have reached out to our Apartment manager. To my shock, he said that the association wont agree installation of devices in parking area. I wrote to association and waiting for a response from them. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

I will guide you.
I will share the most important points specified by central government on charging infrastructure in apartmentsā€¦
No one can deny youā€¦
I just found the documents 2 hours earlier

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://mohua.gov.in/upload/whatsnew/5c6e472b20d0aGuidelines%20(EVCI).pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjb5PPa7ormAhV3xzgGHVLFCrQQFjAEegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw2fwe5tyandcm-Gl-WKNRmh

For Karnataka, there are already order in place for provision to be provided in apartments

3 Likes