Go anywhere with 'EV'

Hello Edit1-@Abhishek,
This is Harsha I am not an Ather owner yet but wanted to own it one day, I currently live in Chennai my hometown is Chittoor. (I would have helped you if I knew your Bangalore-tirumala plan previously, let me know if you visit again Edit2 also could have done a test ride at my place)
Lately discovered your adventures, I was searching Ather on YouTube (regarding Chennai launch) and found your channel and today and read these posts now.

6 Likes

sure

planning to go to chennai soon

I’ll let u know

4 Likes

@Abhishek, can you make a video on how you made this “Portable” grounding device.

5 Likes

There was thunderstorm when started to Hyderabad which came without any notice in just 100meters a change in weather and heavy downpour. I quickly have to secure my mobiles and other docs which are in my sling bag so have pulled over in a petrol pump and by the time I reached there I noticed that there is lots of water in the bag – mobile survived but passport is screwed. It is no more a passport – my photo is wiped away.

After an hour of continues rain finally resumed the journey and have reached Hyderabad (L.B nagar at 7am) - elevation was too high - have to cruise in reduced speed than usual.

Before reaching Hyderabad I was opinion that it will be easy in hyderabad to find charge as I see lots of charger in Recharge india app.

First I tried going to a Mahindra service center where a charger is listed on map and in description it suggested 15Amp socket available – when I reached and queried with security – he advised that there isn’t any such charger and didn’t allow me to check. so have called on numbers listed for nearby chargers – few said they will allow Mahindra cars and few said there is no such charger.

But I remember some article which I read where govt. advertised that all metro stations will have facilities to allow electric vehicles to charge. So, I was confident if I find a metro station I can charge.

Now I have only 1km left.

Saw 2 guys riding a electric bicycle with lithion ion pack labelled as ‘Epick’ – was impressed with the label and was curious – before I approached them one of them asked me if I can stop for a talk.

Got to know these guys are running a business – so was excited and spoke to them to understand how the market is in Hyderabad. As I was tired couldn’t spend more time and advised them that I will visit their place next day, as I was of opinion that I will find a port near metro didn’t bother to ask these guys help (which would have been easy) – only to my surprise there isn’t any port there at metro and am left with no battery. So, same story – started pushing the bike and started asking for help in almost all the business which are next to the road – this was biggest shock – not even 1 of at least 20 (includes all kinds of business and petrol pump and even leadacid battery shops) who I approached were not ready to allow me to charge –

Now this happened – have checked on mobile for next available petrol pumps on the map – and kept this in track pocket and started pushing towards next petrol pump along the road curve ahead – when I reached the petrol pump and didn’t get charge there aswell – so thought will ring my cousin to check if he have any friends around that place – but couldn’t find mobile – spent about and hour there to search for mobile – tried ringing from stranger’s mobile who is passing by – now confirmed – lost mobile.

Now I crossed at least 3 metro stations and there are no such provisions to charge EV. Reached dilshuknagar – then realized have come too far (5.5km pushing vehicle) – now sweat started pouring like water from jacket openings.
Saw police station so thought will give complaint for mobile – got to know the area which I lost mobile is under different police station. Reached dilshuknagar bustop now and started taking some rest.

Where one among a group of cops who have come for security for rally (hanuman jayanthi) noticed me and waved hand at me and asked to come over and started asking about me and my journey and he started bringing everyone attention to me and one cop decided to help me and guided me to a juice shop – who again denied help – when cop came over and asked why cannot he allow me to charge when am paying him – he allowed me to charge – as I felt this is with force didn’t want to stay long so have started after an hour and offered him some money – he didn’t take and in return he offered juice.

Headed to cousins home at Pragathi nagar – Kukatpally and reached there at 2.30pm. in the evening went to couple of friends home and stayed in patancheru that night.

12 Likes

You have lot of patience more than passion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Next day visited https://www.epickbikes.com/ at kondapur, Hyderabad.

Team stay and work there which I liked the most – busy in R&D and assisting customers.

So these guys are into Electric bikes (convert BTWN to an electric bike with a kit – designed by them) sales and renting for extended period – mostly targeting youth and people who are living away from home for their job.

These guys are from NIT Warangal who choose Hyderabad as market as they have access to some R&D labs in their circle over there.

Original plan is to build a high performance bicycle with great specs along with range with which u can move around city swiftly,

however after studying the market and considering people views and needs they came up with above plan and they are doing well…

Have shared my experience with Ather – and they are keen how I charge on the go –

Now riding time – being engineers they want to check what our Flight got under hood and so tried to get a glance as much as thy could about the inside before even bothering to take it for a spin.

They started discussion the possible reasons for high cost, delay in production, achieving performance, parts used etc…. for some time and finally in turns have taken test ride (obviously u must know how excited they will be)

After this we had little chat on their future plans and left the flight for some charge.

Head back home – started preparations for the return to Bangalore

Planned to start early – but couldn’t get up next day so have stayed one more day there in Hyderabad – doing nothing

Next day started around 5 from kukatpally and headed towards shamshabad

As I don’t have a mobile now – I need to completely navigate from dashboard and just hope I will have coverage on the route to Bangalore!

feeback

@Ather.Team – there was a route updated on maps when I key in the destination, and I started to head towards destination – there was once particular Outer Ring Road which heads towards airport and reduces the distance which generally picked by google maps….for the best route

But when I followed the route I had a bummer – when I reached toll gate on the ring road which was almost 5km after the route started towards ring road staff was shouting at me and I kind of felt odd aswell as there aren’t any 2 wheelers then I quickly realised there is something wrong. Though there is no intimation/may be I missed that 2 wheelers are not allowed on that ring road!

I was surprised how come google is not updated with this info as all the 2 wheelers are taking some other route.

Then I found out this

Can you make out the difference

Yes

@Ather.Team can you please choose option for bike on dashboard so that route will be accurate!

I had to find different way which I tried to remember a route from my long lost memory and finally was in track towards shamshabad…

When I reached shamshbad I have lots of juice left which I knew it will be, but started looking for help as I was less confident after exp in hyd city – more success in rural areas until now…

Anyways I headed until *Thimmapur where I saw 33kV substation – so time to charge –

Luckily no much resistance – instead he help me by trying different supply of current at that station and also showed me the earthing point to have earthing sorted (all substations will be installed with earthing – this will be huge and can be easily noticeable)

He queried about the journey and was awed and later started to contact his friends in the coming way substations and gave me some coordinates where I can find substations and gave his number – in case need assistance in convincing people at substations (same department right!)

Was there for about 2hrs and started heading towards Bhutpur Sub-sation asper his advise…

When reached Bhutpur – they interviewed me for 1/2hr and said “D.E sir is here and we don’t want any trouble from him” – and asked me to visit another small sub-station which is near by (Annasagar) – couldn’t find it so started looking for help – I found help at Meseva center – moosapet – who was kind enough to allow me to charge – stayed there for 2.15 hrs and started and headed to kodandapur substation.

I reached by evening and it was dark – though he straight away offered for help (as he had some previous exp where someone with an EV came to this place and got it charged) – but again earthing problem – when earthing was sorted – noticed that the wiring couldn’t take the load (as this is very old build – probably wires are with lesser diameter) – I didn’t want any trouble passed to him (as it will be pitch dark without power in the room he is sheltered) thanked him and started.

Headed for few kms and found a petrol pump – asked the guy who is filling petrol – he confirmed if am ready to pay and called owner – now presentation starts – when done he asked how much will I pay - I asked him to quote (warned him – I wouldn’t pay unusually high – should be reasonable) and advised it will take 2.5 units for enough charge for me to move ahead. Then he hesitantly said he is not sure that what does unit cost to him.

I quickly opened Andhra Pradesh SPDCL site and showed him the charges for commercial consumption (rs.10 + tax) – but he said this is Telangana – I replied no difference – the he asked for rs.50 .

Which is not bad – but he is not convinced that a unit charge is soo low he got his previous month’s bill and started calculating the price he might be incurred – then he got to a conclusion that it will cost rs.11 including taxes – asked him if he is happy else will stop charging and leave – he said he is good as he is not making any loss and making profit though little – so surprised that he is making sure of everything though was happy, later took some rest there and left after 2.30hrs

feeback

@atherteam may I ask you to include battery % in charging screen along with units consumed with current unit consumption – please ……

started from there and headed towards Dhone – this place is kind of weird – the entire town is quite far from the highway itself and so didn’t want to divert instead started looking for help along the highway – there are 4 petrol pumps in total but are spread away from each other – lost entire juice very quickly – no help – not eve a word from first 3 petrol pumps – last one was reliance petrol pump where he is offering free WIFI – but not free current or paid service – on multiple request he agreed to allow me to charge but from a broken plug point with no earthing! – I was not happy with the way he offered help even after I am paying so left the place though I know it is the last resort!

Pushed the vehicle back looking for any other sources noted there is a hotel (similar to dhaba) no luck there – then saw a puncher where this dude is sleeping and so didn’t want to disturb him…

Saw a temple where there is some light from inside…

I know there is power so headed there and inspected and installed my earthing rod as well (had put some water to get some moisture around) – but when I finally got to the switch board I noticed that the plug is not 3 point – it is that old 2 point with no provision for 3rd pin – what next! – search start again! – now I notice a small tea stall guy who have this grinder in his background where I noticed it is a home… asked him for help – he showed me a plug which was hanging from a pillar of the shed! – lucky I dotn have install my earthing rod instead I got earthing from one of the iron pillar of the shed which is in contact with earth….

Stayed there for about 2.5hrs taking rest – paid him Rs.80 – that was the change I was carrying with me/left with me…

Now it was already 4.30 in the morning and I get a call from my cousins friend who advised he is heading to Yoga class and asked me approximate time – advised him I ill be there in Ananthapur by 7am – which I am and started charging – he was kind enough to allow me to refresh and also offered me breakfast made by his wife – it was yummy and now the demo time – all three of the family members are excited about the bike – only thing they are not happy about is the cost.

Later he left to office and asked me to ring him before he start as he have some contact in penukonda which was my next hop.

Ringed him and he gave me the contact – and to my surprise this is a government office (Roads and Buildings!) and I got help there and now all the employees there are surprised and couldn’t believe about my trip and such a small vehicle couldn’t sustain so long trip without any issues…

Started charging – obviously no earthing but found a sign board which suggests this is a R&B office came to rescue (also there are couple of people who offered me help on twitter both in Ananthapur, penukonda – but I didn’t have connectivity to internet, so was not aware)

also saw KIA plant which was huge and ready for production - also liked windmills around the plant

Now this gave me contact at hindupur office (same department) – headed to hindupur but by the time I reach it was almost 4.30 which I though was after office hours so didn’t call him instead I was confident that I will find help as this is rural place

Again found a sub-station in Hindupur and started charging there (this guy was scared with my look and shouted JUST STOP THERE!!! When I was about to get down from my flight) – which scared me and quickly realized that I was completely covered like a dacoit member! – so I asked him to relax and started giving some background – he was not convinced but he also wanted to help in case am genuine – so he ringed up a guy who is his subordinate and asked him to come there – till then he distanced himself and asked me to wait – when the other guy arrive in 5 mins – they took my interview and allowed me to charge!

Was there till 7.30 pm and started to last destiny – Home where my mom was eagerly waiting for my return from 2 days though there are continuous updates from me over the phone.

Finally reached home at 9.30pm and my mom helped to take the luggage though I didn’t want her to carry – she was too concerned am weak after the journey.

15 Likes

Hats off to you, you are at the next level, by the way what range are you getting in a full charge.

1 Like

here are some ride data which i retained after have reached bangalore finishing long trip

6 Likes

You should share the best practices to increase range of Ather, your efficiency is really good, 23 wh/km. My Ather I have never got anything below 36 wh/km , one reason is, out of my total daily commute of 48 km , 24 km is with pillion and battery consumption is really high with pillion.

this weekend

to Mysore

1 Like

y worried about range

enjoy the ride specially when u just need 50km a day

2 Likes

Weekend and mysore doesn’t go along very well :joy:

let me know if someone need test ride

along the way to mysore or in mysore

Abhishek, on the way to Mysuru (Mysore) will it be possible for you to share the locations of people who are willing to let your vehicle charge? Are they willing to let others charge if they hop by? This info will be useful to people who wants to travel there.

Info like name, contact number and map locations will be useful.

Enjoy your ride… Hope you will go up to Chamundi Hills. Be safe.

4 Likes

sure

have been doing this all time

except for that long trip to my home town… as i know no one will be interested

I’ll put up their contact number only with their consent…

but map coordinates as always ill update

yes I’ll go there also to the temple first

3 Likes

@saadmanna ringed me to offer help at Mysore

thanks a lot buddy!!!

we have ather owner itself in Mysore making things easier…

1 Like

Indeed, but then you may need a pit stop in between as the distance is nearly 100+

not a difficult task

ill find one - it is just that time taken will be interesting to see

1 Like

If u are able to come out of Royal Andaaz Ather Grid with 100% Charge, then I guess u can easily reach Mandya( 80km). I have several time traveled to Channapatna and back to Royal Andaaz on a single charge which is 42km one way. While going towards Mysore your efficiency will be 27~28wh/km as the roads are sloped down. It’s while coming back when your efficiency will drop to 34~36 wh/km as the road become very steep.

In the two months I owned my Ather I’ve done this trip 4 times. Ideally when I reach Channapathna, I will have 65% charge. And when I reach Royal Andaaz Ather Grid I would have 2~3%.

I believe if you charge up in Mandya you can easily reach Mysore and back to Mandya.

Another Tip, after you cross CCD in Bidadi immediately to your left you will find a hotel called “Shree Annapurneshwari” make a stop there. They serve the best Tatta Idlys.

I’ll be at work in Bidadi, contact me if you need any help.

12 Likes

@Abhishek waiting while charging in the middle of nowhere.
images%20(1)

20 Likes