EV scooters road testing questions

Background - I own an Okinawa scooter and had a harrowing experience in the pits of the local RTO, trying to make figures of 8

Felt that there are a few problems that were specific to that bike and some that are more generic to e vehicles, so here is a list

• Battery swap is a definite problem for long-term and long-distance travel, how to easily get a battery in and out or charging station set up available across highways, discussion with independent land owners or existing gas stations for collaboration. Is there a difference between vehicle response when there is a battery installed without removability and when the battery is removable?
  • Throttle and motor linkage - how are they linked with a BMS that can handle extreme heat, uphill torque requirements, and rugged roads, I had quite a bit of slipping on stones
  • Throttle and motor link as battery charge varies - if my battery is 70% charged is my top speed affected or initial pick up
  • Battery fear of dying and how economy and boost mode works, show depreciation curve based on the driving tendency to see how long the 25% I have left will last with different speed curves, prompting a shift to eco mode
  • More junkyard wars tests are needed, Battery management and throttle testing - I am sure you guys are on top of this but some info during my next test drive would be cool
  • Have to try out other models - like an overcharged battery that connects to the motor
  • How do policy makers, RTO, and traffic police think about EV scooters, are the vehicles that need a license or recreational devices like an e-scooter in some parts of the world, (tier) for example
  • Renting leasing model for business growth and more people to try like partnerships with Bounce, Yulu is cool but it feels a bit more like a Luna -Doubles troubles - I am trying to lose some weight as I feel it may help with more distance on my Okinawa, have we done a test on a vehicle with like the Indian standard family of 4 on it, trying to go up a flyover?
2 Likes

You can check out Ather’s blog here: blog(dot)atherenergy(dot)com

They’ve published a lot of reading material about the battery’s, power management systems and the scooter itself. Check it out!

@tdrickshaw Sir with all due respect travelling with a family of 4

1- is illegal

2- compromising on the safety of your family

3- risking the lives of your children

4- battle will be uphill whilst claiming insurance

5- court proceedings - will not stand a chance

6- risking the lives of everyone else

7- will not have any scope of flexibility whilst turning left / right because everything will be a big blind spot

Faced with arrogance , bureaucracy and given the run around between the showrooms / insurance : service centers - it is not worth it Sir.

Kindly consider the above. :pray:

1 Like

Sir @tdrickshaw in Mumbai everyone sits at home and gets a license for any category (scooter / car). I guess they must have connections to politicians and the court as well - in case they drive in the opposite direction and / or drive illegally and cause damage to fellow citizens.

If I can express my own experience, I can confirm that the exams were given by myself and without any agent and also; without paying any bribe to the RTO.

In fact they were very helpful to me.

You can speak to the Commissioner of Police in your State and they will let you know their rules.

Here I don’t think a license is needed, but I got one anyway.

Thank you :pray:

Does this still happen ? I mean getting a license sitting at home… I thought with all these digital initiatives, now candidate has to visit the RTO at least to get photographed ?

@marghoob.hasan yes I was laughed at because everyone else had an agent. I honestly did not care. They told me why am I troubling myself by following procedure and to go to an Agent. But I didn’t listen at all to this.

I could not understand the purpose of sitting at home and driving something - you haven’t taken lessons for.

That is why you will see some Aunty’s and Uncles crawling because they probably got theirs sitting at home. Likewise a lot of youngsters drive on the wrong side.

They are connected and don’t care because someone will protect them even if they destroy lives.

There was a 17yy boy who died - he should not have been driving at that age. He hit an unmarked barrier in Borivali and died on the spot.

So as much as I love the Ather and the driving of it, have to be aware of all the insanity around - there is just no rule at all that is being followed. Everyone has come on the road with so much arrogance.

Just cannot imagine if they owned an SLK or a Lincoln what their state of mind would be. And if you add in politics and religion with nauseating arrogance; then God help us all.

चिपकू सकूट्रज़ are the worst @marghoob.hasan

I get your perspective and its kinda true :+1: