Discussions on solar home installations

why micro inverters? How is it connected to battery backup? or are you on grid?

I feel panels with inverters have less functionality and adds to failure probability if you are using a converter/inverter for battery storage.

I’m planning an on grid solution with no battery backup. From my understanding micro inverters have lesser failure probability.
I talked to the Solarify guys and they quote around 2.2 Lakhs for a 6 panel setup and said that the string inverter setup would cost around 25K less. The Ecosoch guys quoted the same amount for the micro inverter setup, but said that the String inverter setup would cost 50K less.

On grid or grid tie solar means when your utility power fails , solar will also stop giving power. So if any one is hoping that in case there is a power failure and you want to use solar power, you will disappointed.

Only off grid systems or hybird systems can give solar power when there is a power cut, most systems will also need batteries.

Do you already have a ups backup at home? If yes, then you can run these as independent systems, else i would suggest going for the regular setup.

Avoiding high power dc on roof is something you have to consider based on your home setup.

If you are keen on future capacity additions, you can still do it with 2 different modules that would serve as backup.

if inverter fails (single point failure mentioned by you) the cost of inverter is probably lower than a micro inverter panel.

I am not an expert in this, just trying to see the logic, since i want to add panels at my home. Please excuse if I am spewing nonsense :slight_smile:

1 Like

From what I understand after reading the material shared by the Eco soch guys, I see the following advantages of MicroInverters over String inverters:

1. No single point of failure. If one panel fails, the other panels still continue generating power, whereas with a String inverter setup, the panels are in series, so the whole system fails.
  2. System runs at the highest possible output. With string inverters, the output will be determined by the weakest panel in the setup.
  3. Easy to increase output in the future by adding additional panels.

Ofcourse this might be just a company emphasizing the advantages of their product over the others and ignoring the weak points.

I wanted to go with a Hybrid setup, but it looks like the cost might be too high compared to a normal on-grid setup. Also, if you live in a layout where there is a Diesel generator backup, the system gets confused between normal power and generator power, and might keep sending power back to the generator as well, which may damage the generator.
So I’m planning to go with a simple on-grid setup and then get a separate UPS for the home. I will anyway have the generator backup from the layout (which cannot be avoided as it is part of the amenities in the society). I’m planning to look at inverters that have Lithium batteries, so that there is lesser maintenance.

If microinverters are a tiny circut that goes underneath the panel (or practically connected to each panel), the what’s written above holds. Drawback being cost and maintenance / service. I remember Texas instruments (an electronic devices company) offering single module solutions way back in 2012 for this. It should be mature enough to adopt if things are right.

Hi Now Bescom come with Soura Gruha Yojana. It cost 1 KV benchmark (56,000 INR) 40% Direct subscidy. Now actucal cost around 32000. If your monthly bill around 1000 Rs you can invest 32000 and electricity bill almost 11 months free (Some time you will get addtional money from Bescom.

visit www.bescom.org fill the form Registration charge 500 + 18% GST Non Refundable. Make ensure you have atleast 150 SQF of shadow free space (Even Balcany also possible)

Example: In my home I invested for 1KV Grid tied. My overal usage 110 Units per month + Now ather charging. No bill from 2 years.

3 Likes

Hi

apply in Bescom site now you will get 40% subscidy. 3KV just 96000 it include 5 years AMC. End to End install commissioning done by Bescome only.

Does it include everything?

like Panels, invrter,etc

1 Like

All inclusive. Not include net merer and fabrication. Both cost not more than 5k Visit bescom.org

1 Like

I think @raghav.srinivasan uses it for more things other than just his scooter, and it really isn’t something that’s done to reduce running costs, but just one of those things you do. Plus I think the panels will pay for themselves in over a decade, so the reasons to install solar panels are quite different.

1 Like

Ah! The perks of solar power.

2 Likes

Care to elaborate?

I think he charges his scooter from the power generated by the solar panels he’s installed. Hence the running cost of 0.

That would increase ownership cost…

My Solar PV system is not exclusively for the 450. My 3.2kw system powers my entire house during the day and with excess going into the grid. My bills since august have been ~₹300 odd to cover the minimum charges that BESCOM puts on irrespective of the usage.

In fact they don’t even bother sending me bills on time anymore!. I have to remind the meter reader to send me the bills every month!

19 Likes

Checkout Mr. Sunil from Bengaluru with his recommendation for solar PV setup with microinverters (₹18,300/ kVA)

1. https://sonublogs.blogspot.com/2020/06/sustenance-roof.html?m=1
  2. https://youtu.be/683YWd6tCgk
  3. https://youtu.be/-nmOwOnaoKU
1 Like

The commitment that is needed for this type of lifestyle is huge. It took me a long time to convince myself to look at the cost of my Solar PV system as an investment towards sustainable living rather than looking at it through a cost-benefit prism.

We already converted an old well (hard water woes!) into a rainwater recharge well. With plentiful rains this year, the water depth is at 5ft from the ground level!

Now that my family also sees the value of having an EV and Solar PV system, it is much easier for me to convince them towards a EV 4w or a biogas plant.

16 Likes

Check these guys for a small bio gas plant without needing much space https://vaayu-mitra.com/. Got myself one over the weekend, pictures attached.

Also, here’s a youtube video for reference - https://youtu.be/2qIr0c5Mhj0

7 Likes

about the panel itself, in general life will be more than 15-20yrs and yes to achieve better efficiency regular cleaning is required (depends on where u live) though i didn’t confirm second question have this information before as my uncle’s farm land have solar panels installed… got the info from there some years ago… but it is heavily subsidised by government as it is used for farming appliances