Creating a new topic since it is another milestone on my Ather 450(wheeeeee)!!
It has been less than a year since I got the delivery of this amazing machine which goes wheeee on Feb 24th, 2019.
The journey with it has been brilliant except few minor hiccups which I will talk about in this review.
First of all kudos to the entire team at Ather for launching this pure EV scooter built from scratch and bringing a Tesla level EV (although this is a 2 wheeler) and charging infrastructure to India!
Things I love about the 450:
- The sleek, simple yet futuristic design
- Brilliant Acceleration from the word go
- Consistent battery performance, haven’t seen any drop in range so far
- Very agile, easy to ride in traffic
- Charging time is around 3 to 3.5 hours
- Attention grabber, I still get the same old questions about it from people stopping beside me in traffic signals, have lost count but I would have answered to at least 400 people in the last one year
Issues faced till date:
- Minor issue like seat requiring a thud to close, motor fan cover coming off resolved by the service team in a day and also the occasional screen freeze which no longer occurs after the recent OTA updates.
- Major issue was a strange noise coming from the drive belt(squealing noise) which would get annoying and clearly audible. First the service team told it is due to the rains, sand particles get stuck and this happens. Solution they gave was to do a pressure wash, which I did but did not solve the issue. Second time they took it, had it with them for 2 or 3 days to determine the cause and I was told they did something with the belt near the motor and they also replaced the rear brake pads. This solved the issue(Thank God!)
- Day before yesterday they took it for the 10K Kms service and guess what, the above same issue is back!! Today morning the technician had come, he tried to rectify it but couldn’t so probably tomorrow the pick up person will take it to their service center and get it resolved(hopefully).
- One more issue was the steering column had become lose which was resolved in a day(issue was thanks to surprise potholes and bumps which are actually patches to cover the potholes, great work Palike!)
Few annoying stuff:
- Mirrors don’t do their job too well, and takes some doing to adjust them as per my liking
- The Auto off indicator, never seems to turn off after I finish taking the turn and sometimes turns off before I take the turn, don’t if this happens just to me
Now coming to the common question… kitna deti hai??
I mostly use the Sports mode, used to be very aggressive with the acceleration in the beginning, now I have calmed down a bit. So I get 62 - 64kms.
Dad uses ride mode, that explains 74kms.
Eco mode is there for name sake for us, noone uses it
Below is the screenshot from one of my many rides, few people have asked for these detailed stats as well for my tweet about 10K Kms on Twitter.
And haven’t done one of those slow rides patiently to see how much maximum range I get, if I do one in the future I will post about it.
Requests to the Ather team to consider in upcoming models:
- More rangeeeee, because why not pleeassee!
- Motor power is alright but if we are getting more range then more power also please.
- Better tyres, MRFs are like skiing in rain especially on white topping or concrete roads. Pirelli/Michelin/Metzeler may be?
That’s all folks!