Bengaluru to Shivamogga on an Ather 450

Hey @sachinshastry12

Let me know if you need any help in shipping the bike back to your place.

3 Likes

Ather picked up the scooter today morning and they said that the status will be updated once they diagnose it. The towing service they offered was quick and easy. Highly satisfied with it.

I knew about the risks of taking it outside Bengaluru, sir. But we had no option. We needed a scooter and we wanted it to be electric. Considering the huge time taken by electric two wheeler companies to foray even into metro cities, no doubt it would be a lot of time when they enter other tier 2 and 3 cities. The only scooters which we get here are the chinese ones. Having no option, we bet on this scooter despite knowing the risks. All these are just a part of the risk. No option than to face it. Heading back to Shivamogga now, hoping to get the scooter asap.:smiley:

9 Likes

Agree on what you said. Applause to all who took risk and I fully understand the interest/passion.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for the support sir.:smiley: Probably, will ship back by the same truck.

2 Likes

no problem at all sir…:smiley:

1 Like

Amazon type packing before shipping to Bengaluru😂. An old treadmill box and its plastic packing materials were of the right size to accomodate Ather.

12 Likes

Hi Sachin, really sad to read about the happening. But yes as you rightly mentioned it’s a calculated risk that some of us have taken to have it at tier 2 & 3 cities inspite of no assurance from Ather. But yes i can really feel your spirit of being bold & confident in managing the issue. Hope to see your 450 back on roads of Shivamogga.
Please do update on the process…

3 Likes

Namaskara Sir, read that you have taken the scooter to Dharwada. Hope you are enjoying the experience. A small suggestion from my end would be to use the SHUT DOWN feature as rarely as possible, only when the scooter will not be used for days together. I dint know that and used it regularly, which might have caused this issue. Some others who have used the SHUT DOWN feature frequently have faced the same issue. Since even you are using the scooter away from Bengaluru, I dont want you to repeat the mistake I did and get in this hassle. Hope you have a great expereince with the scooter. :smiley:. I will update once I get the scooter back.

7 Likes

Namaste Sachin, ತುಂಬಾ ಖುಷಿಯಾಯ್ತು for you sharing your experience. Will make the best the suggestion. ಧನ್ಯವಾದಗಳು.

3 Likes

That’s quite an adventure you’ve had Sachin😅.
Hope your Ather is all fine and you get it back at the earliest.
Just pre-ordered it, will mostly be using it for city travel.
But reading this post has given some me confidence to try traveling (probably somewhere close by Bengaluru initially😁).

2 Likes

Received my scooter on December 1st, that is, Sunday after it spent one month in the service centre. Shipped it to my home yesterday. Ather offered to give it back on a temporary loaner battery. But I insisted them to return the scooter after repairing the original battery itself. Was a long frustrating wait. Happy to have received it now. One thing is for sure; I will never touch that ‘SHUTDOWN’ button again. :sweat_smile:. I know it is to be used only as ‘VACATION MODE’. But I am now feeling hesitant to even use it like that. Probably, I now have another anxiety added along with the range anxiety ( only during highway use; not for city), that is the SHUTDOWN anxiety. :grin:

6 Likes

Shaastrigale,

you may use ‘shut down’ if the SoC is below 60%. As you said, do not use it regularly. Use it only when you are NOT going to use vehicle for several days.

Thanks for the update and wish you safe riding.

2 Likes

Dear Sachin,
I am expecting my Ather 450 shortly. All the paper works have been done and now only the delivery part is left, which will happen in a day or two at Chennai Delivery Point.

I’ve read through your experience with the unit. Delighted overall, but I thought you are the right guide at the moment for the below given queries of mine, and request your suggestion for the good-health of the vehicle.

On receiving my long-desired EV, after initial thrill and crazy rounds with it, I wish to keep the vehicle straight away on a long storage. The reasons for this is that, I am not in town and would not be for at least another 6 months from now. I am authorizing a close friend of mine to pick the vehicle from the showroom and drop it at my residence. I read about the Vacation / Shutdown mode and the experience that you have had. A bit concerned on not knowing how exactly I need to opt the storage modes available within. I have my daughter in town, who could in a while, say once in a month, be able to recharge the EV to its full and again put it back to Vacation / Shutdown mode. Only when I am in town, I would need to use this vehicle on a daily basis, like say at least for 40 days and then again back to square one as stated above viz. storage mode. Please give me your technical advice and also any other additional inputs to maintain it in this manner. Other parameters like tyre to be inflated to suit the storage & avoid flat spots, petroleum-jelly greasing at terminal points etc. could also be touched upon. Hope you wouldn’t mind, I have put forth a lengthy tale.
Best Regards
Rajan Babu

2 Likes

I would suggest that your friend use it for daily/weekly errands. Keep it running so the battery is in good health and tired don’t develop bald spots due to being parked for a long time.

Or you could just defer your delivery to when you are back in town.

3 Likes

Well noted! Thanks

Sir, the shutdown button can be used occasionally, i.e, when the vehicle will not be used for a long time. My case was different because it was uses very frequently. Maybe once a month is ok. Rajesh sir, @rajeshkav has mentioned that the shutdown feature may be used if the SoC is below 60%. I request him to clarify regarding this once. I also suggest you to go through the user manual once. Not reading the manual was a mistake which I did. I feel it would be better if the scooter is uses atleast once or twice in a month rather than keeping it idle. Even I dont know what effect keeping the scooter idle for a long time will have on the battery. Memory effect is an issue with lead acid batteries. I dont think lithium ion batteries experience it. Only thing is that they should not be left in discharged state for a long time. I hope @hemanth.anand can confirm regarding this.

1 Like

True… Whenever you shut down , please make sure SoC is below 60%. If the SoC is above, there is high chance of failure of BMS circuitry over the period of time.

2 Likes

Reason for that, sir?

There is an issue with the BMS hardware. Please read the below FAQ.

2 Likes

@Ather.Team
The information not to shutdown scooter should have been sent in mail. I do face M027 error code may be due to shutdown.