Battery SoC Indicator

The auto cut off at 100% doesn’t look like is working for me. It says “charging” indefinitely in the app and dashboard… and the Dot keeps blinking green indicating that it is still charging. I have raised an issue through the app. I am not sure if there will be other detrimental effects if I leave it plugged in for several hours at 100% SoC.

Well, even though dashboard might show 100%, it might continue to trickle charge for several minutes. For sure there won’t be any adverse affect. You can continue charging and see that it will stop after a while. Not that charging is controlled by 450 and not by charger.

However if you are not using 100% charge distance (i mean to say 80-90Kms a day), I suggest you to stop charging at 80%. 80-20 rule is best to adapt for longevity.

2 Likes

Sure, will keep it in mind, although it is cumbersome to manually monitor it until it reaches 80% and then go to the vehicle to unplug it. Hope it can all be controlled in the app, in the near future.

1 Like

Yes, it is the wish list to have app based cut off. However we need to do it manually now. What I do is, I will note down the time to reach 80% and set an alarm in my mobile.

3 Likes

But already only 80% of the battery is usable right?
Like 2.4kwh to 2.7kwh.
That already satisfies the 80 limit rule

1 Like

Is it not recommended to charge overnight ? On a daily basis. How much would it affect the battery.

1 Like

Well, how should I answer? Hope you have read this post in FAQ.

In simple words, you can charge overnight without any issue as 450’s BMS takes care of everything for an easy going person. With this it should last long the guaranteed life span.

However, if one wants to pull the life span of the battery even longer , then applying 20-80 rule (some book says 40-80) is even better. That way you can stretch even more.

In another analogy, it is like stretching life span of human life by balancing food, sleep and regular exercise :slight_smile:

8 Likes

As I understand, only 2.4KWh is usable in 450 which depicts 100% capacity. (even though 450 has 2.7KWh, 0.3KWh battery is not usable and has no connection with the capacity)

In other words i.e. 2.4KWh means 100%, 1.92KWh is 80% .

3 Likes

Oh… Thanks for the info
But i think somewhere in the medium post/forum shreyas mentioned that the usable capacity of the battery was restricted for this purpose…

If it was not restricted on purpose, can you please explain is that a limitation of battery technology?

It’s indeed restricted on purpose. We cap about 5% both at the top and at the bottom. The 0-100% that you see is actually scaled to 0-100% from 5-95%.

While you do not need to charge from 20-80 for improvement, it definitely won’t hurt. The only thing is, the amount of effort to do it is far greater than the gains. Also, the battery life is not impacted by usage (charging and discharging) as much as it is impacted by calendar aging.

Had mentioned it here:

10 Likes

Thanks for the update :pray:

1 Like

@abhishek.balaji2, @Shreyas, it would be really good if you can share some more insight to impact due to calendar aging. I do remember reading some blog about this but I am not able to recall it now.

2 Likes

This should help

4 Likes

can you help, in this topic , why battery charged 100% and after 5 hrs it drains automatically to 98 %, what is the reason behind it?

Hi @jmukeshnahar,

I’d urge you to read the FAQs on Battery here: https://forum.atherenergy.com/c/faqs/battery-pack

yup abhishek big FAQ on battery
in simple language i understand that it is background app refresh

2 Likes

Yep, there are background processes that can cause battery drain. Just like your phone when it’s on standby.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Battery usage and Performance stats

Battery discharge overnight has been 3-4 km in winter season in comparison to 1 km in summer have constantly observed from last 1 week day1: 3 km day2: 4 km day3: 2 km day4: 4 km day5: 5km

Vehicle is hardly less than 9 months, what could be the reason for discharge rate in-consistency