Ather 450X Discussions

I think Ather team is thinking in the technical terms only, and didnt understood problems of common man’s travel issues and mindset yet.
Example the peace of mind that higher range in dashboard gives to rider,
or how few rupees extra for travel affect entire monthly budget etc
I dont know what number of sales they will achieve with this pricing (look like they are not bothered about that too, as they planing to discontinue 450 also)

2 Likes

I agree, Ajith. We missed addressing a lot of questions you had during the launch, due to lack of time. We’ve clarified the pricing structure:

On the upgrade program:

You’ll hear on the forum first, as soon as we have more details on both these.

1 Like

Hey, we did mess up the communication at launch. We clarified a bunch of questions over the weekend in our open house and AMAs. Here’s some more info on the subscription pricing and what we’re trying to do with EVs:

How Ather plans to drive adoption of EVs (not mass adoption, yet.): Ather 450X Discussions - #1556 by abhishek.balaji

We’re working on making the price breakup more clear on the website. We’ll announce the on road pricing once we get regulatory approvals.

1 Like

Hey @aiyappa

For a long time, EVs represented a compromise in performance and the only justification to switch to an EV was cost savings. However, that is no longer true. An electric vehicle like 450X represents a huge shift in performance, and the intelligence features that it offers is changing the game. 450X's acceleration is hard to match for most scooters today - petrol or electric. The smart features enabled by connectivity and touchscreen dashboard aren't available in any other vehicle out there. And the fast and super-fast charging available on 450X has in-built technology that is years ahead of all its rivals. So, fundamentally, 450X is worth switching to for the vastly superior product that it is.

The subscription model does have a three year TCO around 1.6L, but includes battery replacements as well. If within 2 years, your battery capacity drops below 80%, we replace it for free under subscription.

It’s not comparable to monthly petrol cost, but we believe it’s a vastly superior product, that people are willing to pay for.

Having said that, we’re also working on structuring the subscription pricing better. While we won’t change the upfront pricing, we’re working on different subscription structure that would make sense to someone looking for a lower monthly cost.

2 Likes

Hey, we’ve added much more information about the pricing models here:

This is not available as of now, but we’re exploring options for the future.

@abhishek.balaji it feels really sad to see many people cancelling. Its kind of their dream to own one.
Never the less, One thing what I observed from their reactions is people were still ready to pay around 130-135k for the X which is a good 20-22k more than 450.
Just my thought, If Ather would somehow get the pricing between 130-135k, people would have got one. Instead of releasing an ultra premium scooter, Ather could have released something in the middle ground, by cutting some corners in the X ?
You guys did win over people in Bengaluru and Chennai for sure with the 450, it would be super awesome if you guys had fans and owners like us all over India first and then tried to get the market pricing right.
Just my thought !!

4 Likes

Not just insurance. The monthly subscription cost includes Ather Charge (Connectivity, all data charges, data pipeline and storage costs, OTA updates, and unlimited public charging). As long as you’re subscribed, if your battery health dips below 80%, we’ll replace it for free. This model works for those who want consistent performance throughout ownership.

I agree, the price of Ather 450X and the current on-road price of Ather 450 are not comparable because the Ather 450 is extremely underpriced at Rs.1.13 lacs on-road. We took losses on the 450, to create a market.

We did this to introduce a premium product in a price-sensitive market when we launched. In fact, if we had continued with 450, we would have increased its price anyways. Considering the experience of Ather 450 users, we’re convinced that the price of Ather 450X - a much superior product compared to the Ather 450, is justifiable for the value and experience it offers.

At the 450X upfront prices, we are cutting losses, but cannot drive the prices down, or create a new variant as this would drive up capital costs.

3 Likes

One person cannot defeat an army :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll make sure each and every question is answered here :slight_smile:

9 Likes

You’ll be able to drive the scooter, but without paying for the basic connect/charge subscription, navigation and data services would not work.

Given the full featured Google Maps on the dashboard, bluetooth transfer rates are still too slow.

1 Like

one doubt regarding ather service plan for ather 450. there are no home charging and public charging if ather service is selected. does it mean that the ather dot will not work even if installed at home or ather dot will continue to work but the electricity consumed will not be reimbursed? sorry for posting it on 450x thread.

Google Maps APIs do not allow offline downloading yet. There are other providers like Here Maps and MapMyIndia, but the service is no where close to Google Maps.

That being said, the basic subscription also covers costs of software development and maintaining data pipelines and storage costs. These are crucial to get the exprerience of a smart and connected scooter.

1 Like

You get the Ather Dot, the home charger when you purchase the vehicle, this is wired to your electricity meter and the cost of electricity will be borne by you. It consumes about 3 units of electricity on a single charge.

What you will not get, however, is reimbursement of these costs like in Ather One. Public charging can also be used on a pay-as-you-go basis.

2 Likes

Hope we were able to address your queries over the weekend, where we explained why we need to price it this way.

The 450 will be available for a limited time in Bangalore and Chennai. All new cities will be launched with the 450X.

Hi,
is there any additional yearly/ monthly subscription cost apart from the Rs1699 /1999 plan ?

the above subscription includes the scheduled servicing and emergency breakdown assistance, charging cost etc… not able to get clear view about this plan.

Also

would have loved if Ather had launched

1. Ather 450B (b=basic)

basic led information display speed and percentage charge and remaining kms on charge
and removing all the hi-tech existing features and launch it much lower in price around 80 K and no subscription plans and just charge for regular servicing like any other bikes do.
most people don’t like the subscription mode of purchase.

1. On 450X. add Citizen mode :slight_smile:
    A.Based on the city maps and roads restrict the top speed of the bike as per the traffic rules
    B.Do not allow riding Ather on wrong directions in One-ways ( have seen many Ather owners riding in
    one-ways)
    C.Smart helmet with Indicators synced to scooter
4 Likes

Hey, 3G is no where close to dead. There are some operators who’ve decided to shut down, but Vodafone hasn’t communicated anything officially. 3G still works good in Bangalore and Chennai, where the 450 will be continued to be sold for a limited time.

Additionally, we are working on a cost effective solution to upgrade the 3G module to a 4G one.

The subscription plans are not mandatory if you purchase it upfront.

3 Likes

thank you so much for clarifying @abhishek.balaji. so the ather dot will continue to work and reimbursement will not be given. meaning i can charge the vehicle from my electric expense and subscribe to ather service for ota, connected services, and ather vehicle service. am i right? what i thought was if i dont subscribe to any of the services that provides home or public charging i will not be able to charge the vehicle at all even if i have ather dot installed at my home.

1 Like

Now that there’s some more info,

The subscription plans include Ather Charge subscription, which includes connectivity, unlimited public charging at Ather Grid, all data charges, data usage and pipeline costs, and OTA updates.

Further, for those who have pre-ordered the collector’s edition, servicing is free for the first year.

We will have other options should you want charging reimbursements and other add-on services, and will share details soon.

1 Like